VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jess Weiner recently published an article for Glamour magazine about her struggles with weight, body acceptance, and to a lesser degree, eating disorders:

Quote:
For years, Jess Weiner urged women to accept their weight as is. She, after all, was a happy, successful size 18. But when her doctor warned that her weight posed a health risk, she had to ask: Was her body acceptance making her sick?

Read More http://www.glamour.com/health-fitnes...#ixzz1USSNM3N6
I thought I'd share/discuss.

She is a fantastic, empowering speaker. But, frankly, when I saw her give a talk a few years ago when I was fresh out of ED treatment, I was scared ****less that 'recovery' would make me obese (irrational fear). This article sheds some light on her own personal struggles with weight even after becoming a major motivational personality.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i don't know what there is to say about this. it's hard for me to believe that she's healthy, even at her new weight. yes, her numbers are better, but that doesn't mean they'll stay that way. i'm a big believer in the bmi tables - even for bodybuilders, etc. it's just not healthy to carry excess weight. i see it every day at my work. thin people are healthier and live healthier than obese ones.

there's nothing wrong with accepting yourself as a person. but it doesn't make an unhealthy weight healthy, no matter how you sugarcoat it (pun intended). hopefully she'll continue on her quest for health. and that's what it's about, health, not appearance or societal acceptance.

it doesn't make you a terrible person to be fat. it doesn't make you a terrible person to smoke or drink or to never exercise. but all these things add up into not having optimal health.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll be hard-pressed to find more people here who are so adamant about believing in the BMI, ESPECIALLY for body builders!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

it's just not healthy to carry excess weight. i see it every day at my work. thin people are healthier and live healthier than obese ones.
To have a real conversation about this I think we need to start with a good definition of health. Perhaps we could use the yardsticks she mentioned in the article:
weight
blood sugar
cholesterol
triglycerides
blood pressure

Obviously there are lots of ways to measure health, but since we're tlaking about BMI, these above are the most common worries of doctors. If someone's BMI is "overweight" or "obese" but all those other markers are in the healthy range, then what do we call that?

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Obviously there are lots of ways to measure health, but since we're tlaking about BMI, these above are the most common worries of doctors. If someone's BMI is "overweight" or "obese" but all those other markers are in the healthy range, then what do we call that?
we call it being fat. are the markers lower because she's at a healthy weight, or because she's been eating better, and is in the process of losing weight? she's only in her late 30's, not in her 50's. do we wait till her hearth cath shows multiple occlusions in her coronary ateries?

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

You'll be hard-pressed to find more people here who are so adamant about believing in the BMI, ESPECIALLY for body builders!
that may be, but i get to see them when they need a heart cath, so i believe what i want, just like others believe what they want.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
If the only measure is fat then why measure the other things?
Because fat is just an indicator to look for problems. By itself, it may or may not be a problem. It depends on the person, the amount of fat, and where they carry it.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:

If the only measure is fat then why measure the other things?
Because fat is just an indicator to look for problems. By itself, it may or may not be a problem. It depends on the person, the amount of fat, and where they carry it.
the point is if you're fat, the other things will eventually be problems. i've seen very few people at her height/weight that didn't have problems from it over the long run. it's stressful for the heart to pump enough blood for that size frame. i myself was 230 and 5'10". people constantly told me they couldn't believe i was that heavy, etc, and that i wasn't fat. but eventually i decided to be honest with myself and lose the weight. i've lost a lot of muscle too at 190, but it's much easier on my heart. i'd rather arrive at 70 weighing 170 lbs than 240 and taking a handful of meds.

if you don't believe that bmi makes a difference, that's up to you. i'm shooting for 180 but that's the absolute tops for me, and as i age i'd want to lose another 10 lbs.

of course, there will always be exceptions. but they are fewer and farther in between than people think. you could point to a 90 year old who smokes and say smoking isn't harmful, because he doesn't have cancer/copd.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:

To have a real conversation about this I think we need to start with a good definition of health. Perhaps we could use the yardsticks she mentioned in the article:
weight
blood sugar
cholesterol
triglycerides
blood pressure

Me!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Me!
Such an unusual exception!

I'm sure all the overweight people who needed "heart caths" placed were UNHEALTHY overweight people. Some individuals do well at weight X, while others are better at weight Y. That's why BMI tables are bull!

Also note that the woman who wrote this article had a history of EDs, so the idea of having losing weight (for her health) was extra difficult to comprehend.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Yes, I *am*

Just wanted to say I like the article and think that a woman in her position stands to do a lot of good by sharing so openly.

People are better equipped to deal with health matters in general when they are empowered with information! It sounds like she made some healthy lifestyle changes. Good on her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Such an unusual exception!

I'm sure all the overweight people who needed "heart caths" placed were UNHEALTHY overweight people. Some individuals do well at weight X, while others are better at weight Y. That's why BMI tables are bull!

Also note that the woman who wrote this article had a history of EDs, so the idea of having losing weight (for her health) was extra difficult to comprehend.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i wouldn't say bmi tables are bull. they are one tool, and no single tool is perfect.

i see the health problems with overweight people every day. when i go in for the next shift, i'll have a bunch of overweight patients. a far greater number than patients in the "normal" bmi range. it would be hard for me to believe there isn't a strong correlation between disease and obesity, and there isn't considerable validity to the bmi tables.

of course, we are all more easily persuaded by our own experience.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

i wouldn't say bmi tables are bull. they are one tool, and no single tool is perfect.

i see the health problems with overweight people every day. when i go in for the next shift, i'll have a bunch of overweight patients. a far greater number than patients in the "normal" bmi range. it would be hard for me to believe there isn't a strong correlation between disease and obesity, and there isn't considerable validity to the bmi tables.

of course, we are all more easily persuaded by our own experience.
Have fun!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:

i'm a big believer in the bmi tables - even for bodybuilders, etc.
Im not a big believer in the BMI tables. They are built for European people. According to that I am in the healthy weight range. But I know I am overweight, bordering on obese. The opposite scenario could occur for a larger boned person.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:

It depends on the person, the amount of fat, and where they carry it.
This is true too, for women it is much healthier to carry fat in the pear region. (sadly I am not pear shaped, I wish I was).

This thigh and buttock fat is gained during pregnancy then during breastfeeding the body uses this fat up to feed the baby.

Women are meant to have some fat, otherwise their bodies wont produce enough estrogen. We are not the same as men.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
BMI is such garbage. My sister is categorized as obese. Trust me, she is anything but.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Not caring that you are unhealthy and doing nothing to change it might kill you. Not caring that you are overweight will not kill you.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

That name sounds so familiar, did she happen to be part of a book called "in her shoes"?
That was Jennifer Weiner. She is the author who wrote "In her Shoes"

Jess Weimer is also a writer but she writes advice columns (mainly in Seventeen magazine) and books about empowerment, eating disorders, self help and self esteem.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts