VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, the correct grammar is "love us, do not eat us." Or "loving us, not eating us, is what we want" or 'being loved, not eaten, is what we want." It is called "parallel structure." And every school child learns about the need for parallel structure in compound sentences, in third grade.

And few people eat parrots anyway. If they wanted to use a single representative of a wild animal, as opposed to a domesticated animal, a deer, or wild duck, might have been more appropriate.

That said, distributing free posters or bumper stickers or whatever is a good idea, and I am all behind that. If anyone wants to have such items made up and can afford to distribute them for free, I would be glad to freely contribute one or more pages at my web site, to advertise them. You just make up the posters and give me the address where people can get them. The only payment I want - is one free poster for myself. I was thinking small cards, 3 x 4 or 4 x 5 inches, for tacking to supermarket bulletin boards, etcetera, next to all the room for rent and I'll do your bookkeeping or mow your lawn cards.

by the way shakahara is sanskrit for vegetarianism and I am so glad I got the domain name.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I don't complain about the grammar on free stuff. It's FREE. And you're not obligated to take it.

The image is of a number of animals that ARE eaten by people and ones that AREN'T. Purposefully. For contrast.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yer as isowish said the whole point is for people to go "Well i wouldnt eat a parrot/dog/cat" and then go "whoah but I DO eat cows/sheep/pigs. Hey thats weird/stupid. Now I realise how stupid I've been I'm giving up meat!!"

anway i think its a cool picture/ message. Ive had one of the decals on my car for about 8 months and think its awesome.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You sound like my mom when I showed her the free bumper sticker.

"That's incorrect grammar! It should say 'Love us, don't eat us!'"

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, "love us, not eat us - is what you ought to do" or you could just add a do in front "do love us, not eat us."

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Just an FYI, the "bumper stickers" they're sending out shouldn't be used as such. I got mine in the mail this week and attached one to the bumper of my car yesterday. It rained today. The sticker shredded.

Due to the shape of my car, and the large size of the window stickers, I think it would be awkward to have one in any of my windows. So much for getting free stickers for my car.

--Fromper

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had the thread closed for a reason soilman. Why do you need to nickpick and start a new one? How childish. What exactly are you proving by saying the grammar on A FREE item that helps advertise Veg*nism, that these nice people send out to us is wrong? Does it make you feel smart? They don't have to send out anything, and if you don't like the offer, don't order it. Grow up.

This forum is to offer free things, good deals ect. Not whine about grammar on a thread that was already closed. Let's move on with life.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still puzzled as to why you closed the other thread. And what is wrong with whining about grammar?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why does closing the other thread make me look silly?

I think that incorrect grammar, makes the people who use it, look silly. And while I have little motivation to correct the grammar of people with little education, or who aren't writing for mass-consumption, I take a great deal of joy in pointing it out when someone with more formal education than me has worse grammar, or someone with pretensions toward being a writer, public speaker, or respected communicator of any sort, uses incorrect grammar. Especially if the grammar is so bad that it interferes with comprehension of the message. And yes, the grammar here was so bad that it made the message difficult to understand. I didn't understand what the message was supposed to be, until I thought about it for awhile. I had one of the "huh" moments. Further, like poor dress, or bad hygiene, or any other shortcoming in the messenger, incorrect grammar, esp if it is so bad it interferes with comprehension, dissuades people from accepting the message. A message coming from such a source, is likely to be dismissed because it has the dual shortcoming of (1) coming from an unattractive messenger, and (2) being difficult to understand.

I wish to do everything I can to promote veg'ism and pointing out things that influence people to reject veg'ism is one of them.

I might add that you don't have to "love" animals to leave them alone and let them live and refrain from torture them. The message is wrong. People who love animals don't need to persuade other people to love animals. They just need to persuade other people to let them be. Asking people to love animals is an imposition. It is unnecessary, and rude. Just ask them to leave animal alone and not harm them unnecessarily. If they want to love animals, fine. But asking people to be like you is rude. Rude requests get dismissed.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And again, I would be glad to give them a few free web pages, if anyone wants to print up stickers or flyers or anything, and distribute them for free, even if the grammar is bad, as long as it is not so bad that it will influence people to reject the message.

And yes, I sometimes make mistakes and use incorrect grammar. So I am not going to be surprised or upset if you point out one of my mistakes. I'll just go back and edit it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's a sticker, not a magazine article. Many bumper stickers use shortened phrases or symbols to save space. Most motorist don't have time to read a long sentence. I didn't have any trouble understanding what the sticker was trying to say. I doubt that most "educated people" would have trouble comprehending it. I'm surprised that you had so much trouble reading it.

Quote:
I think that incorrect grammar, makes the people who use it, look silly. And while I have little motivation to correct the grammar of people with little education, or who aren't writing for mass-consumption, I take a great deal of joy in pointing it out when someone with more formal education than me has worse grammar, or someone with pretensions toward being a writer, public speaker, or respected communicator of any sort, uses incorrect grammar. Especially if the grammar is so bad that it interferes with comprehension of the message. ... Further, like poor dress, or bad hygiene, or any other shortcoming in the messenger, incorrect grammar, esp if it is so bad it interferes with comprehension, dissuades people from accepting the message. A message coming from such a source, is likely to be dismissed because it has the dual shortcoming of (1) coming from an unattractive messenger, and (2) being difficult to understand.
Have you ever shared these opinions with Toys R Us?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jinga, I'm not trying to debate anything, thanks. I had my other thread closed to AVOID debate.

Brandon, it shouldn't be in this forum. He shouldn't of made it at all. I closed MY thread to avoid this.

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Jinga, I'm not trying to debate anything, thanks. I had my other thread closed to AVOID debate.
I know
I was just trying to make logic of the placement of the thread. I understand you didn't create this one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts