VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You can dress them up according to the meal but as a base, sauteed in butter/marg. with red wine and fresh thyme. I swear: fresh thyme is on this Earth because mushrooms are, try it!

----------------

- Nookle's hubby -

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sauteed with garlic, olive oil and sea salt. Then any I didn't eat right away, I love on a vegan pizza.

Stuffed is another fav but so much work I rarely do it.

And sauteed ports on a sandwich are to DIE for!

... Serious mushroom fiend

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sautéed with ginger, red chili pepper, garlic, rosemary, stock and a dash of cream (oat and soy work fine if you don't eat dairy).

Sautéed with onion, ginger, garlic, chillies, and tumeric, sprinkled with lemon juice and cumin and folded into tomato pilaf.

Chanterelles sautéed with chopped tomatoes (and probably some kind of herb that I can't remember right now).

If I have some leftover spaghetti sauce sitting around, I'll fry up some mushrooms, let them simmer in it for a bit and stuff them in a pita.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mmm, I love mushrooms, too. I've been enjoying them since I was three years old.

Portabella burgers are awesome.

Mushrooms and onions sauteed in olive oil.

Mushrooms stuffed in a pita with vegenaise, and lettuce.

Stuffed are also delicious.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

I mentioned this in another thread, but I like portobellos chopped up really small in everything... they give a really nice texture.
Why do you use portabellos? Is there a notable taste/texture difference?

Would common button mushrooms or crimini be just as good - especially since portabellos are just little mushrooms allowed to grow much larger?

Other than size and cost, I don't notice any difference, so I'd rather use common button or crimini mushrooms and save myself a few (!!) bucks when it's not going to make a difference in taste or texture.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My favorite mushrooms are:Brown Matsutake, Porcini, White Chanterelle, Chanterelles, morels, oytsers, hpysygius, craterelluis tubeaformis, chicken of the woods, hedgehogs, shiitake, Maitake, Prince and various others.

They all have a unique flavor and texture and are suited to different recipes. I aquire the vast majority of mine from the wild and therefore bypass having to pay inflated prices at the natural food stores.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm not a big mushroom person- only because they creep me out a little. I never liked how they looked. It's not even that I don't like the taste. I always just picked them out of my food *shrug*

I'd love to try a Portabella "burger" though.

Hopefully I can get it on this mushroom obsession

hijack/ I interned in a 2nd grade classroom last year, and we made turkeys for Thanksgiving, and the kids had to write what they were thankful for, on the feathers. One girl wrote "mushrooms"
/end hijack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts