VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason this morning I've been reminded of two fantastic dishes that I ate in restaurants far, far away and long, long ago. An amazing tabouli 8 years ago in Paris, and a terrific spinach curry 5 years ago in Las Vegas.

Anybody else remember a meal that still makes you salivate, but which you no longer have access too? What was so fantastic or unusual about it that makes it linger in your mind?

Maybe if we're lucky we can help each other recover our "lost foods" with some recipe swapping ...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I had this amazing vegetarian plate from this little African restaurant in Austin back in October. It wasn't vegan (some dishes had butter, I believe), but could easily be adapted to vegan I'm sure.

It was soooo good--about 7 different dishes--spicy lentils, some kind of greens, a black-eyed pea fritter thing, a carrot dish, and injera. I've been all over the internet looking for African recipes and can't find anything that comes close. I think it was mostly Ethiopian, but there may have been some dishes from other countries as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This one is probably wierd, but in elementary school, there were these very yummy peanut butter squares with chocolate on top of them...
They were so good...I've tried different pb square recipes, but they just don't taste the same.

I'm very close to calling or visiting the school to ask for the recipe, or where they get them from.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The dish that I miss the most is an omni dish called nopalitos. Yumma! I used to get this at a little Mexican food place in Arizona and it was soooooo good! It came with home-made tortillas that were fluffy and fresh and the two together were heaven on a plate!

There also used to be a portabello burger at I think Red Robin or Ruby Tuesdays, that's now discontinued.
It was really good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I no longer "have access" to a meal because of my veganism. There's a cool place down in the marina, right on the water, and they have this huge patio, and strong margaritas. I used to enjoy going down there with friends and relaxing on a lazy Sunday evening a few times a year. I'd always eat the Chili Colorado Burrito (not sure if that's how they spelled "chili"), which was probably the best burrito I've ever had, next to the one's from Tito's Tacos on Washington in Culver City.

There's nothing there that's half as satisfying when modified for vegan purposes, so it kinda spoils the effect. I've had to leave that behind...

On a brighter note, I'm being nicer to my bod and reducing the demand for slaughtered animals!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i miss breaded and deep-fried monteray jack cheese sticks dipped in jalapeno jelly. i live in hope that one day vegan "cheese" will be perfected so that it will be appropriately melt-y and useable in a recipe such as this.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't miss much, when I think about it. Maybe my grandmother's homemade soups

As far as restaurants, I miss more the ambience of a Cantonese restaurant we, as a family, would patronize when I was very young. It's more that aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents were together at a huge table than it was the meals. It was actually an Americanized version of regional food; but I guess I've glorified it in my memory.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I miss.. Pizza. Mama Lucia's used to be my absolute favourite. The perfect crispy crust. I wonder, if it can be made vegan. I will have to call and inquire. And this hole-in-the-wall pizza place near Trastevere.. oh my. They had the most awesome mushroom pizza (no cheese! So rockin! And not *special* ordered. I love Italy.) Alas.. That slice of pizza is an eight hour plane ride from me.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I kind of fall into the omni "lost foods" unless there's a veggie version. But anyway: crepes (although I hated ham and mushrooms-the filling), white tuna fish salad (that was served by a hospital in N. Indiana).

Everything else I actually liked (lasagna and similar) I always preferred without meat anyway, but never could find in restaurants.

Of course a crepe can be made with veggies... but it's not exactly the same, maybe with veg*n ham, if there is such a thing. Hmm... wonder if there's any way for a veggie tuna fush (that's good).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooh, Muppetcow, that reminds me of an Ethiopian restaurant that I ate at in Houston. Can't remember exactly what I had (a type of soft flatbread, greens, bean paste-something, something like yams but not quite .... darn) but it was great! And probably nearly all vegan. Time for an Ethiopian cookbook.

Pizza: I had some in Colorado once that had a spicy (hot!!) sausage and an half-inch-thick layer of sauteed mushrooms on it. My roommate just brought it home as leftovers so I have no idea where it came from.

Speaking of omni stuff, I guess I was trying to supress those memories.
But since we've gotten started on them: green chili burros (not "burritos," for some reason) in southern Arizona. They usually had pork, I think, but could easily be made without. There were so common there that you could pick up a cheap nuke-it version at any Circle K. Then I came back to Ohio and the only "Mexican" food was Chi Chi's -- hah!

Rendang: Indonesian dish made with beef (which could be left out), coconut milk, lemon grass, ginger, potatoes, and lots of hot peppers. Served on rice ... not sure how I'd duplicate the "gravy" without the meat.

Filipino adobo, some sort of vinegary sauce with potatoes, and pork or chicken. Same problem as rendang, not sure it would work with only veggies.

OK, I refuse to linger on my omni faves any more!!!

Kreeli, we can still have jalapeno jelly right? I'll just dip some french fries in it, that's pretty much what I do with all my favorite sauces whose original partners aren't vegan. E.g. wing sauce.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Grilled mahi burritos with a citrus sour cream sauce & fresh cabbage & lime - I can only get these in California but even when I go down there, I won't order one because I don't eat fish anymore! That said, they are de-lish. My DH and I used to joke that they put crack in them, because if you go a few weeks without having any, you start to crave them like mad.

however, I have noticed that if you grill slabs of tofu, it is strikingly similar to grilled mahi mahi (texture & everything). I'm going to have to try the burrito thing out (with citrus "better than sour cream") to see if it tastes right... if I get it right, I will post my recipe. I'd love to have this again because it sure is tasty.

And i have yet to find a Chinese restaurant in my area that does "mock meat" dishes. The closest one I have found is in Seattle. I had a bunch of this stuff (totally vegan) in Malaysia - every chance I could find!! Sweet & sour "pork", glazed "duck", "chicken" hot pot... etc...

I need to do more exploring in our Chinese grocery stores here because i bet at least one of them carries this stuff. I have read that it comes in cans.

amy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Definitely "real" Belgian waffles, as sold by street vendors in Belgium. I was never able to find anything even remotely comparable anywhere in the States... Oh! And those incredible pancake-type-things you can get in Amsterdam. Same deal.

Guess who loves his carbs!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How could I have forgotten this? Well, it's not exactly a "meal." I used to love all the dozens of kinds, and anytime someone in my family went to Holland we'd bring back a ton of it.

So ... can anyone tell me if it's vegan? (I'm fearing gelatin.) If it is, I'm about to figure out a way to get hold of some right now!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

Poffertjes!!

My Dutch friends used to find it hilarious to make me pronounce this word, to test my Dutch accent.
Heh, well I'll leave the pronunciation to you and you can leave the eating to me!

On a somewhat related note: I remember one time when I was in an Amsterdam restaurant actually eating one of these, and the Dutch waitress used the word "euphemism" in conversation. I just remember being so impressed with that kind of grasp of English as a second language, and feeling particularly ashamed that I had made no effort prior to going there to learn any Dutch at all. It was one of those "I'm just a horrible American tourist who doesn't know anything" moments...

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Since we're on a roll... I *love* Belgian fries. OMG - they are so worth the $6 it costs for a huge cone of deep-fried potato goodness (I don't want to know if they're fried in lard! Don't tell me!). And then the toppings!! The plethora of toppings!! Curry ketchup has to be my absolute favorite, though the Belgian mayo is also out of this world (and there is NO mayo here in the states that is nearly as good on fries - american mayo on fries is simply disgusting). I have found curry ketchup here, but since it costs almost $5 for an 8 oz bottle, I don't buy it often. But damn, is it good!!

Thanks a lot you guys... ((dreaming of hot, super-crispy fries topped with curry ketchup))

amy

(and silverfish - I have met several dutch who speak at least 5 languages. talk about humbling... )

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to love the fritsaus (sp?) that the Dutch McD's offered. And you're right Amy -- nothing compares to Dutch/Belgian (Flemish) mayo. And the slasaus.

Darn it, didn't I just say I wasn't gonna mention any more non-vegan foods?

Silverfish: So true about the humbling effects of Dutch folks' command of English. When I lived there I made every effort to speak Dutch, but I usually felt retarded because everyone's English was so perfect and my Dutch was so pathetic. We developed a weird symbiosis whereby my friends would speak Dutch (and I'd understand), but all my replies were in English because I was so embarrassed about my horrible command of their language.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I miss hot, fresh soymilk I used to buy from street vendors. Silky soymilk bubbling in that HUGE metal pot...Wwwwww ....and hot tofu....my breakfast used to be hot fresh soft tofu (so soft, like yogurt) eaten on the way to school......

only in China, ehhhh....

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
oh yes - soymilk in se asia sure is tasty. I don't want to know the fat content though! it was like drinking cream (er, i mean, soy cream)
mmmmm.... I miss buying a big baggie of fresh fruit from the street vendors for just 25 cents... about 2 cups of fresh pinapple, mango, watermelon, papaya, or ... maybe that was it. yum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts