VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago I post on fb about a very delicious veg chili that I made. This guy whom I am pretty close with instantly starts ribbing me that there is no such thing and it's only real if it has meat in it. We go back and forth a bit but it's kept light and sarcastic for the most part. But then he takes it a bit farther about mindless killing sprees... I know he is joking and only trying to get a rise out of me but a vegan friend of mine joins in and they go back and forth a bit. He then resorts to name calling and such and I said enough. They continue to bicker a bit and then I get an angry text from him saying how do I sit there and publicly insult him, and defend my friend and think he's going to be ok with it. I message him back honestly confused why he would be angry! His response was to f off. I mean hello.... I posted a veg*n status which he promptly bomarded with pro meat garbage! Did he honestly expect me to back him but like I said I don't even understand how he took it like that anyways! All I said was stop when things went to far. I would post the conversation but didn't want to take up to much space.. ugghh I guess Im just alittle disgruntled because we were so close and now were not even on talking terms! I'm starting to think I might just be better without the negativity in my life though... sigh

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe you should talk to him in person instead of using facebook and texting (i find that sometimes alot of drama starts out with people misinterpreting posts and such). Go talk to him, bring a bowl of that veg chili so he can taste it for himself or something if he's really that close to you he wouldn't mind giving it a taste.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Ah, first world problems

It can be scary for your friends when you make a big change like going veg*n. They can feel you have changed as a person. They often react defensively because it challenges their passive decision to be a meat-eater by showing it is possible to go against the grain and do the right thing. Food is very important socially, so many social events are centred around meals or food traditions (like turkey for Christmas) and now you won't be participating in many of those events in the same way. It's all a bit scary and they might feel they're losing you so they act out.

Or sometimes people are just asshats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tinoberserker- Maybe I'll try to talk to him when he gets back from working out of town. We have fought many times from misinterpeted texts but I think this may have been the last straw for both of us... probablly best that way anyway as things have been going downhill for awhile but it still sucks :/.

Earthling- Yeah he's just an asshat lol. I was a vegetarian when I met him. He was always wanting to learning more about it and would often engage in conversations with an open mind. When I asked what happened to that person he said "that vegetable loving ******* died, he died of malnutrition from not eating meat. Now I'm here, the flesh hungry, carcass slobbering, bones for tooth picks meat eating know-it-all!" And believe me even though that post sounds somewhat sarcastic he really did do a 180.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiya View Post

Tinoberserker- Maybe I'll try to talk to him when he gets back from working out of town. We have fought many times from misinterpeted texts but I think this may have been the last straw for both of us... probablly best that way anyway as things have been going downhill for awhile but it still sucks :/.

Earthling- Yeah he's just an asshat lol. I was a vegetarian when I met him. He was always wanting to learning more about it and would often engage in conversations with an open mind. When I asked what happened to that person he said "that vegetable loving ******* died, he died of malnutrition from not eating meat. Now I'm here, the flesh hungry, carcass slobbering, bones for tooth picks meat eating know-it-all!" And believe me even though that post sounds somewhat sarcastic he really did do a 180.
Sounds like things worked out for the best. Based on your description it sounds like you don't really want that guy as a friend anyway, there are plenty of people out there mature enough to hang out with you and not freak out about your choices and beliefs.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiya View Post

I'm seconding what everyone else said, just find someone new to hang with, including your vegan friend. I don't now if your town has a veg*an meetup or not, but you might want to check it out. I'm sorry life threw you this curveball. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bless you, I'm sorry to hear,
if he really was your friend he would of understood why you didn't appreciate his misplaced jokes and if I'm correct to understand that he was making very insensitive jokes which seem to wound up your friend and when that happened rather then apologize and try to explain he didn't mean offence, he turns to name calling and makes it personal right? You were right to tell him to stop, he was in the wrong. and he seems to care more about the embarrassment then that he might of offended you or your friend and not apologize for insensitivity.

I can understand how hard it might be to lose a close friend but the people who we're close to should make us happy and not upset, I wouldn't say the fb status was the reason you lost your friend though, rather his attitude was the reason, and whilst he has that attitude being friends with him will remain pretty much like this, if he's going to keep it then I think you would be much happier to leave him out your life but of course the choice is yours
I really hope you'll have better luck with the other people that you get close to though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.