VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm begining to think i'm losing my mind and wondering if anyone here can shed some light on symptoms.

I've been sufering from panic attacks noticably for about 3-4 months, i've only had 2 real major ones, unfortuantly while at work, but i have had episodes of panic whilst alone which i'm ususally able to control. So releuctantly i went to the doctors just to check it out. He pretty much drew a blank, took my blood pressure and checked my pulse, everything according to him was normal and he put the panic attacks down to more likely to be psychologyical (i'm not stressed or depressed) than something phycial and said if they continue, to go back and he'd do some blood work, a thyroid function test etc. fine, there wasnt much i thought he could do anyway. But there's more to this imo, i am not a person to panic, i'm a really laid back person, i dont tend to get over emotional or stressed over things, well not tiny insignificant things, but lately i am serioussly on edge, one little thing will set me off being really stressed, i'm irritated by the stupidest of things and really over emotional at times for no reason, i guess it's like PMT to an extreame level, but i dont get PMT really. I'm also kind of hyper, now anyone who knows me would say i'm pretty hyper anyway, but this is a different hyper, it's not controlled hyper like i usually am and theres very little serious me left.

In addition to the emotional symptoms i've also noticed over the last week my right hand tingling, kind of like pins and needles but not really painful just annoying and compared to my left at times it's freezing, which i find kind of unusual and some of my other muscles especially in my left leg are really tight and kind of weak, i can't actually run at the moment (something i do quite regulary) because everytime i do my muscles in that leg seem to ache so badly.

To be honest i don't know if any of these things are related or actually an issue, but i just don't feel right, this emotional thing is killing me, i just can't seem to control anything. So can anyone shed some light on this and inform me that i'm not losing my mind.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

No, you're not losing your mind. I had problems with panic attacks, even though I'm usually a very laid back person. My attacks were brought on by intense stress (I was unable to finish my MA dissertation on time and had to take several extensions). Are you going through a stressful period? It's understandable to be very emotionally fragile under stress, but it's manageable. You need to eliminate things that cause anxiety and try to be around very supportive people (I remember talking to my parents was stressful because they weren't understanding of my situation). I benefited from counselling too. Would that be something you would consider?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
panic attacks suck.
counselling can help you develop coping skills so you can recognize the attack before it becomes severe, and take steps to keep it from disrupting your life.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I was just thinking... B12-deficiences can manifest themselves in all kinds of weird ways (I know because it's something that runs in my family (and none of us experiences the deficiency in the same way); I personally had episodes of rapid heart beat, tingly, trembling hands, a buzzing feeling in my head, something that resembled fever, some mental/mood issues... just to mention a few things) - have you thought about getting your B12-levels checked?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I recently started taking 1mg of b12 a day and noticed a huge difference in my mood. I read up a little and the brain has its own store which is separate from that which would show up even on labs. I don't know if taking these was just a coincidence or not (I do eat dairy, but that would be my only source of b12).

But panic attacks are so common, it definitely may have just happened on it's own.

I've had panic attacks and my advice is to nip this in the bud. Tell yourself and *know* that you can control your physical symptoms, that you can calm yourself down. Know that it's just panic, and nothing bad will happen. Find something to distract you so you don't keep concentrating on how you feel. Distractions (like a friend who can talk to you with funny jokes or something) can really help. Feel empowered or it will get worse and worse. I had problems eating in restaurants, driving, and for one week in high school, I had to keep signing myself out from school! I wish I could recommend a book. Drugs from a psychiatrist helped me a little, but mostly I had to do it on my own.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After being really ill last year, I started having some anxiety symptoms. My hands, lips, and parts of my face would go numb and feel like "pins and needles", like you described. My Dr. said that those symptoms are caused from the anxiety. They gave me Xanax to take whenever I felt like I was having an attack and it helped tremendously.

I am NOT one who likes to take drugs, especially mood altering ones, but the Xanax really helped me a lot, because my anxiety was causing high blood pressure, which was putting pressure on my already weak heart.

I would suggest keeping a journal of when and how your anxiety/panic attacks are occurring. I'm a pretty laid back person too, but I realized that there were definitely certain triggers to my attacks.

Good luck and (((hugs)))

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I can confidently say i'm not stressed, I have no stressors in my life, i work 4 days a week and i'm 21, theres nothing to stress me.

I don't know about B12 deficiency, I kind of doubt it though, i broke my anti suppliment rule about 8 months ago and started taking suppliments, so if i was defficent i'd be having some issue absorbing it.

As for counselling, as far as i know it's not something thats readily avalible on the NHS and unless i'm going to kill myself i doubt i'd get it for free. Plus tbh i'm a pretty closed person and talking to someone about my insignificant problems would bother me.

I have tried controlling them, i know when i'm going to have an attack and i do consider myself to be someone with a great deal of mental control, but for some reason i just can't control it.. Distraction ususally helps, but seeing as i'm ususually either on my own, or with someone who doesnt really get it and wants to, taking my mind off symptoms doesnt work too well.

I don't know, i'm just finding the whole thing really irritating, it's not like me and i just want it gone. I feel so stupid.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I am so sorry
panic attacks suck. Don't feel like your going crazy a lot of people have them...I wish I had some great advice . I sometimes get them too. Anyone find that meditation helps? I am thinking of trying it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.