VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay my lecturer told me to watch some film called the corporation last week because she thought i might find it interesting and I did (strongly recommend watching it), but since watching it I've done a lot of research into the remaining animal products I use mostly milk (pasta, bread, cheese, creams, occasional choccie but thats not really an issue) and eggs and found out organic eggs/milk basically means **** all so I'm cutting them with the view of going vegan.
But the issue is these are probs my biggest fat intakes, and I really hate the taste of soya milk, and I really can't lose any of my muscle or my girl will dump me just joking, but I do a lot of boxing and rugby and really cant lose to really drop any weight. mainly I just need a replacement for milk as I can make up for the eggs with different nuts/supplements but the milk is a concern as its the 1st thing I use everyday in cereal, do you think its possible to just get use to soy milk do other people have issues drinking it.Don't know if i sound mad saying this but are there any other milks I don't know about apart from soy/animal derived milks that I can try.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Almond, oat, hemp, coconut, hazelnut, rice and I'm sure there are more I haven't mentioned. BTW I hated soymilk at first and now I love it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I find that oat milk is the most versatile one.
Have you ever tried adding some flavour to the milk ? I often add a few drops of vanilla extract or a sprinkle of cinnamon.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am not vegan but i started to buy soy milk out of curiosity. I firstly wasn't too keen on the taste, but I had bought 2 cartons so i persisted. Now i actually like the unique flavour, and plan to have it all the time.
I am tempted by the sweetened ones but the sugar content just isn't worth it. I think if you want to like soy milk, you will do after giving it an extended chance.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
First off, the taste of soymilk varies between brands. Some have a distinctive bean taste, others don't. Earth Balance makes a really good tasting unsweetened-tastes sweetened to me, but it's not. Silk Omega 3 my son who really likes milk, likes better. Store brands are often good too, you should try different ones before you decide you don't like them.
Some soymilks are even made from soy flour-I noticed that on certain 8th Continent soymilks. Check labels and go for organic, or at least non GMO, whole bean milks.

Many people seem to prefer almond milks. Almond Breeze original is sweetened, with little almond flavor. I don't like the unsweetened almond milks at all. Silk almond has a pronounced almond flavor, but the dark chocolate is divine!
Coconut milks are great for coconut flavor-again they vary in taste.
Rice milk is watery and rice flavored-I don't care for it.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Most dry pasta is vegan-check labels-should just be semolina and water.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I vote for Silk unsweetened almond milk. I didn't like the taste of soymilk, so I tried almond milk and now I'm addicted. Soymilk obviously has more protein, but there are plenty of other ways to get that.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've always liked soy milk, so I can't help you on THAT front.

Toffuti is a good cream cheese substitute. I'm actually going to use it as just a basic 'cream' substitute in a pesto recipe I'm looking at putting together. Nuttalex (Nuttaflex?) a good butter/margarine substitute.

But, there's a brand called 'No Egg' which works as a good binding agent if you're making burgers, maple syrup for cakes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post

I really can't lose any of my muscle or my girl will dump me just joking, but I do a lot of boxing and rugby and really cant lose to really drop any weight.
try drinking a vegan protein powder either before or directly after you exercise.
theres some argument about whether they do really help build muscle or not, and i never used to use them due to that, but ive been using one for nearly 2 years now and i have noticed some changes.
if you read some of the vegan body building sites you can pick up some helpful tips as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe that you live in the UK as you were looking to rehome a dog on another thread.

You can buy a few different types of milks from Sainsburys and Tesco's. I personally buy Alpro Almond Milk.
I tried soy milk when I first went vegan. I really didn't like it and threw half of the carton in the bin.
I loved Almond milk straight away. You can also easily make your own almond milk at home.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I prefer almond or coconut (the so delicious brand, not like coconut milk in a can) milk over soy milk. But the taste does vary by brand so I'd really suggest trying a few out.

I noticed you mentioned boxing and working out here's a profile of an MMA guy who eats about 3,000 calories a day on a vegan diet. http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_ricardo I thought he used to have a list of the types of stuff he eats but I don't see it.

If you are worried about fat intake I'd suggest using fitday.com to track what you eat and see what you are getting for that. You can easily up your fat intake while removing animal products by eating avocados, nuts, seeds, or using some oil when cooking, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for info lots of help, its not been as hard as I thought it would the almond milk is the one I've been using since I posted this topic shame about the price though but that's life I suppose maybe I should make my own lol can't imagine that will be much cheaper though, btw that mma guy http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_ricardo he said he avoids fruits x,x anyone know why?(maybe avoiding sugars). I feel really bad for him the day I give up my mangoes and pineapples is the same day I see pigs fly... I'll be so pissed if pigs do start to fly lol

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post

thanks for info lots of help, its not been as hard as I thought it would the almond milk is the one I've been using since I posted this topic shame about the price though but that's life I suppose maybe I should make my own lol can't imagine that will be much cheaper though, btw that mma guy http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_ricardo he said he avoids fruits x,x anyone know why?(maybe avoiding sugars). I feel really bad for him the day I give up my mangoes and pineapples is the same day I see pigs fly... I'll be so pissed if pigs do start to fly lol
What brand of almond milk are you using? Almond Breeze, Silk, and So Delicious all usually offer coupons on their websites which come in handy for cutting down the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts