VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got annoyed at the fact that I have to nag my husband to take out the trash every day. That's a whole 13gallon trashcan full every single day!!
I'm looking for some small tips that add up.
We go through a lot of paper towes and eat quite a bit of packaged food but that cant fill a trashcan in one day!
How am I making this much trash!?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Recycle the boxes of the packaged food, they are typically paperboard. I found only buying ingredients for cooking/baking, instead of ready food we waste less. If you do buy processed food, try to avoid overpackaging, for example; avoid individual chip bags, buy just one large bag. Try to choose recyclable materials. Don't use sandwich bags for saving things, buy reusable containers. They don't have to be expensive you can get a decent Snapware set for a good price or even glad or ziploc reusable containers. Try going without paper towels, for the most part they are only convenient and not nessesary.
We are a family of three and I'd say we fill about a bag a week of non recyclables. There are things like lids, cat litter and food scraps that end up causing us to use more than one actual garbage bag. I have yet to take composting seriously and if there were a way to get the cats to use natural pellet liter, I'd be sold. Reduce, reuse and recycle is key.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I'm pretty compulsive about recycling, and having to go out my way to get to the center really keeps my habits in line. I buy beans and grains in bulk-one plastic bag for 3 or more pounds. Very little bottled or canned drinks-we drink teas and oj concentrate.
Food scraps are really easy to compost. I have a area about4x4 I dump all veggie and most fruit scraps in (nothing sweet like pineapple). Sometimes we bag grass, always leaves. Bunny cedar chips. Just turn occasionally and keep moist.
I tried pine pellets for the cats thinking that would be okay, but it smelled too bad- I do have 13. We all really like the wheat litter, and while I haven't tried composting it (that would be another area) at least it's not the stripmined clay.
Mostly reduce, and reuse. I'm still shocked at how much "stuff" people go through!
Me and two teenage boys fill a 13 gallon bag a week. The cats litter I don't know know how to measure.

I still find it hard to use cloth instead of paper towels, but I'm getting better.
If you don't already use reusable shopping bags-- DO IT.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torties View Post

I recently got annoyed at the fact that I have to nag my husband to take out the trash every day. That's a whole 13gallon trashcan full every single day!!
I'm looking for some small tips that add up.
We go through a lot of paper towes and eat quite a bit of packaged food but that cant fill a trashcan in one day!
How am I making this much trash!?
1. When you go to the grocery store, get your groceries bagged in paper, and use the paper bag as your garbage can.
2. Stop using paper towels, and buy wash cloths.
3. Change what ever you're buying that produces that much waste by buying refillable containers for things, and using them, stop buying from companies that give you a ton of excess packaging.
4. Start Recycling and composting (if you can)

We have our life down to one paper grocery bag a week for actual go in the landfill garbage.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Wow, nice work!
To be fair, we used to eat off of nothing but disposable dishes and plastic weight, and go through a big garbage bag every other day, we have come quite a long way!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Switching from sandwich bags to reusable containters is definetely a great idea for us. We go through a lot of storage bags. I like the switching from bottled drinks too. We are caffeine addicts that could use the sugar free waist trim if you know what I mean. I could just started homemaking iced tea. Love the paperbags as trashbags idea too. I'm still a bit nervous about switching paper towels out for cloth. We have a few nontraditional pets that are trained to 'go' on noncarpetted areas. Thanks for the great ideas though!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
For your pets who go on non carpeted areas, grab some old clothes that you do not use anymore. Cut them into rags, and use them to clean up the waste. You can then bleach them or put them in the washing machine on 'sterilize' (still consuming energy, but no paper towels).

You can wash and reuse sandwich bags that you already have. Also, you can purchase a soda maker which carbonates water and you add your own flavoring. It's an investment, but will pay for itself over time and save lots of waste.

I basically find a way to recycle everything I can, so just let us know what else you tend to just throw away. Everything can be used more than one time, in some way!

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwrinkles View Post

For your pets who go on non carpeted areas, grab some old clothes that you do not use anymore. Cut them into rags, and use them to clean up the waste. You can then bleach them or put them in the washing machine on 'sterilize' (still consuming energy, but no paper towels).

You can wash and reuse sandwich bags that you already have. Also, you can purchase a soda maker which carbonates water and you add your own flavoring. It's an investment, but will pay for itself over time and save lots of waste.

I basically find a way to recycle everything I can, so just let us know what else you tend to just throw away. Everything can be used more than one time, in some way!
An excellent way to start. I do these same things (except my animals dont have the accidents on the floors or carpets)

and, yet another posters picture that goes to prove that veggie women are the best looking. (no Im not trying a poor pick up line, Im old enough to be your father,, young father)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
There's something that will not reduce your trash but may be slightly more productive than nagging your husband. Just play a song for hubby.

Weird Al Yankovic has a song called "Trash Day" On his Poodle Hat album. It's a parody of Nelly's "It's Hot in Here." I have a utility to play it to remind me to take out the trash. I think it's hilarious.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...256d2e000abb81

1 - 13 of 13 Posts