VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

First off, I hope this is in the right section of the forum. If it's not, feel free to place it where it belongs. I also hope this isn't going against any of the rules as I'm not promoting anything at all, but just looking for some suggestions from fellow vegetarians and vegans.

Anyway, I'm getting an iphone app developed that allows people to find all the restaurants in their radius that are either vegetarian, vegan, or have vegetarian options and I'm stuck on what to call it. Basically the way it will work is it will have a GPS feature built into the app that detects exactly where on the earth you're located, and then it will find all of the restaurants and food places around you with vegetarian types of foods.

I got the idea since every time I'm out, it seems tough to find a place to eat since almost everything caters to meat eaters and I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. I know there are a few apps like this in the market already, but I have some other ideas for mine that I think will make it stand out a little more.

So I'm trying to think of a cool, catchy name for the app and I was hoping some of you wouldn't mind giving me suggestions. If you want, I'll send the person that gives me the best name $20 via Paypal.

I know I'm new here, so again I apologize if this is against the terms or anything. Looking forward to your name ideas everyone!

Oh yeah, and once the app is developed, you all can have it for free as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,134 Posts
While I wouldn't want to dis anyone trying to make veg-friendly apps, you should know that there are several already in existence. HappyCow has one with a map feature. VegOut can use the GPS on your phone to give you local places. There's one called iLocate, that I don't know much about, and I think a couple of others as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

While I wouldn't want to dis anyone trying to make veg-friendly apps, you should know that there are several already in existence. HappyCow has one with a map feature. VegOut can use the GPS on your phone to give you local places. There's one called iLocate, that I don't know much about, and I think a couple of others as well.
Hey Jen,

I have seen a few of the others, but I have some ideas for my app that I think will make it much more user-friendly and provide a better experience and more choices. For example, I went to the Happy Cow site and entered my zip code, and it didn't return a lot of the places around here that have vegetarian options at them. The closest place was like 30 minutes away according to Happy Cow, yet I know of a few places that are 5-10 minutes away with vegetarian foods (not a 100% vegetarian or vegan restaurant, but they had vegetarian options like veggie burgers, tofu, etc. for people like us).

So I'm guessing my area isn't the only one that's not up-to-date with the Happy Cow app and the main focus of my app will be to provide a very extensive, updated database of food places.

I'm involved with online marketing for a living, so I have a good amount of experience in the field and I think I can position it correctly so that it can still be a success regardless if there's competitors or not.

I looked at that iLocate on iTunes just now and it doesn't appear to have very high ratings either, so that's a good sign for me.

While it may or may not work out, I feel it's worth a shot anyways. At the very least, I'll have my own really cool app I can use whenever I'm out and need to find somewhere to eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,134 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean that you shouldn't do it, just that there's a lot of competition. VegOut is the one that seems to be the best, US-wise, near as I can tell. Of course, a lot of the success depends on how many contributors you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
I'd like something with "radar" in it - "Veg Radar", "Vegar", "Veg Rad", "Tofu Radar", something that. Or "Yum Radar", like Tomb Raider :p "Radar of the lost (gimme something veg that rhymes with "ark")".

Okay, I'm uncreative... sorry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Since you're providing different restaurants that have veg*n options without being exclusively veg*n can I suggest something like, 'Veg-O-Meter' and you can provide ratings of 'how veg' places are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Yeah, I didn't mean that you shouldn't do it, just that there's a lot of competition. VegOut is the one that seems to be the best, US-wise, near as I can tell. Of course, a lot of the success depends on how many contributors you have.
I'm alright with a little competition. It shows that the app is something people are interested in, which is important to know going into a project like this. As for getting contributors, that is what I am hoping will set my app apart from VegOut's. I am aiming to provide a much bigger selection of places to eat at so people aren't driving for a half hour just to get some veg*n food when they are hungry and out of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

I'd like something with "radar" in it - "Veg Radar", "Vegar", "Veg Rad", "Tofu Radar", something that. Or "Yum Radar", like Tomb Raider :p "Radar of the lost (gimme something veg that rhymes with "ark")".

Okay, I'm uncreative... sorry!
Thanks for the suggestions Kjesta
. I'm looking for something a little more catchy and unique though. I like your "radar" idea, but I think Veg Radar by itself is a little too plain sounding, and Vegar would be cool, but I'm not sure a lot of people would figure out that I'm trying to combine veg and radar. If you have anymore ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Since you're providing different restaurants that have veg*n options without being exclusively veg*n can I suggest something like, 'Veg-O-Meter' and you can provide ratings of 'how veg' places are?
That's actually a really good idea to add in as a feature to the app. I don't know if I would want to name the whole app Veg-O-Meter only because it does other things besides telling them how veg*n a restaurant is, but I do really like the idea of implementing a Veg-O-Meter into the app so people know how veg a place is before going. Thanks a lot for the idea


I appreciate the responses everyone. Keep em coming if you want to share.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,134 Posts
Will there be a place to add comments about specific dishes or notes if you asked for something special-made?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
It sounds like you're interested in creating a sort of combination of the HappyCow VegOut app (which only lists vegetarian and vegan restaurnats, but does it by location) and the Vegan Xpress app (which lists vegan options at chain restaurants) with some additional features.

Sounds like a great idea, but also sounds like a huge undertaking since a large database with accurate, up-to-date info is difficult. Plus, in the vegan community, there are always rumors of this or that resaurant using nonvegan foods (like bonechar refined sugar, etc.) which are hard to substantiate but can make anyone recommending restaurants lose credibility.

I wish you lots of luck!
As far as names go, here are some ideas:
Vegan Eats
VegFeast
Vegan Options
VegOps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Will there be a place to add comments about specific dishes or notes if you asked for something special-made?
There will be a section for users to leave reviews on the restaurant and give it a rating. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I never thought of having it where they comment on a specific dish, but that may be a good feature for me to add into it. I just figured that they could comment in the restaurant review about the dish they got, the service, the price, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

It sounds like you're interested in creating a sort of combination of the HappyCow VegOut app (which only lists vegetarian and vegan restaurnats, but does it by location) and the Vegan Xpress app (which lists vegan options at chain restaurants) with some additional features.

Sounds like a great idea, but also sounds like a huge undertaking since a large database with accurate, up-to-date info is difficult. Plus, in the vegan community, there are always rumors of this or that resaurant using nonvegan foods (like bonechar refined sugar, etc.) which are hard to substantiate but can make anyone recommending restaurants lose credibility.

I wish you lots of luck!
As far as names go, here are some ideas:
Vegan Eats
VegFeast
Vegan Options
VegOps
Thanks for the recommendations Elaine. Yeah the app is sort of a combination of the 2 of those. I did notice that Vegan Xpress doesn't have a GPS system built into it telling people how to get to the restaurants from where they are at though. How mine would be different is because you will be able to see which food chain or restaurant has veg*n options before even going. And like the Happy Cow app, it will use GPS to find out exactly where you are and tell you which places are closest to you that you can eat at.

There have been so many times where I'm out and I'm hungry and I have no idea where to go because every place I see is meant for carnivores. Just the other week I had to stop at like 4 different places just to see if they had a veggie burger or something I could eat, and none of them did. With the app, it would have simplified the process a whole lot.

I do understand it's a pretty big project, but I'm hiring some developers from overseas to build it for me, so that will keep the costs lower. As for the database, that is what's going to set my app apart from the others I believe. I don't want to share too many details yet because I don't want someone stealing the idea if there's someone that reads the forum with their own similar app, but I think it will definitely make mine stand out and give a better user experience with a constantly updated database.

You will all be getting it for free when I release the beta version too, so I'll let you be the judge of it and give me recommendations and suggestions.

Thanks again for all the name ideas guys. I have a few so far in mind that I like, but I'm still open to more. I will be starting development sometime next week, so I think I'll be choosing a name by Monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Here are some suggestions of mine (I'm not an app developer so I don't know how possible these all are, but just some ideas)


1. Put vegan related news in the app. Make it update automatically with news such as new restaurant opens or supermarket
2. Put a list of not as well known vegan products. Everyone knows about tofu, but my aunt that was vegan for 10 years didn't know Oreos were vegan.
3. If you want to include animal rights in it, show where there are protests going on so the app user can see on a map
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Here are some suggestions of mine (I'm not an app developer so I don't know how possible these all are, but just some ideas)


1. Put vegan related news in the app. Make it update automatically with news such as new restaurant opens or supermarket
2. Put a list of not as well known vegan products. Everyone knows about tofu, but my aunt that was vegan for 10 years didn't know Oreos were vegan.
3. If you want to include animal rights in it, show where there are protests going on so the app user can see on a map
Yeah those are all pretty good ideas and I may consider adding them in later on, but for right now I'm trying to focus on getting the beta version out which will primarily focus on restaurants and eating places for veg*ns. Once I get that established and going good, I'll start adding more features for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top