VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr has restricted nuts and soy.
Curious if any others here eat a similar diet, and if so can you help me with meal ideas?
(breastfeeding and need to make sure I am eating enough)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, I don't know why Seitan slipped my mind (other than I haven't been eating a ton of Gluten either). I have been doing loads of Quinoa (I love it!)

We have been having peculiar problems with our son. We cut his solids and put him back on nursing first, when that didn't totally fix it she looked at my diet the only things I ate that she thought COULD be a problem (not super sold, her or I) were Dairy, soy and nuts (soy as loads of children that are intolerant to dairy are also sensitive to soy, and nuts cause I was eating a ton of them ((whoops hadn't noticed)). I am allowed to re-introduce them, one at a time, here down the road, but kind of thought I would just work on building meal plans that use neither.

I have to admit I feel WAY better without dairy (well, only dairy I consumed was cheese- still dairy is dairy) but I do miss having peanut butter, or nuts on salads, or in sauces.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, no soy or nuts? That would be a really challenging diet for me, I hope you're managing okay with that transition! If you're craving crunchy salad toppers, maybe look into freeze-dried veggies (I found them at whole foods and they made for a great travel snack straight out of the bag, I'd imagine they would be yummy on salads). Perhaps there are gluten-free panko breadcrumbs or rice crackers that you could add in? I used to crumble triscuits on top of salads when I was looking for something textural to add. If you were eating a lot of nuts & cheese and are concerned about replacing those with other sources of healthy fats, you can always add oil to your sauces (is earth balance soy free? probably not eek!). Other add-ins could be olives, avocados, marinated veggies or sun dried tomatoes (we buy them from trader joes, they're jarred in olive oil and herbs and are delicious in everything from salads to pasta dishes, to sandwiches). I don't know if you're still able to eat sesame, but tahini makes for a great dressing also. When you're re-introducing nuts maybe you could ask your doctor about starting with sunflower seeds? I have a few friends with nut allergies who are able to tolerate sunflower seeds, and enjoy some of the sunflower "butters" that are available. If all else fails, dark chocolate is an easy and delicious way to add calories to your diet (as long as it's not made with soy lecithin)! Good luck!

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Dairy a very common cause of problems in the nursing infant. I would suspect that first and foremost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

Thanks for the link, I don't know why Seitan slipped my mind (other than I haven't been eating a ton of Gluten either). I have been doing loads of Quinoa (I love it!)

We have been having peculiar problems with our son. We cut his solids and put him back on nursing first, when that didn't totally fix it she looked at my diet the only things I ate that she thought COULD be a problem (not super sold, her or I) were Dairy, soy and nuts (soy as loads of children that are intolerant to dairy are also sensitive to soy, and nuts cause I was eating a ton of them ((whoops hadn't noticed)). I am allowed to re-introduce them, one at a time, here down the road, but kind of thought I would just work on building meal plans that use neither.

I have to admit I feel WAY better without dairy (well, only dairy I consumed was cheese- still dairy is dairy) but I do miss having peanut butter, or nuts on salads, or in sauces.
Did you cut all at once?

What problems have you had with your son? Like gassy/fussy/colic type problems or are there rashes? How old is he?
My daughter had a bunch of issues and I quit dairy milk. She improved (and so did I). This was before I went veg though. I was still having cheese, it just didn't impact her like the milk did. As far as solid food, we had problems with strawberries, oddly enough. I could eat them, but she got awful gas when she did. She's better now.

For topping salads I would use tortilla chips.

Do you have a plan to reintroduce the soy/nuts?

Sorry to hear you're having issues. BTDT

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all actions speak. EB does make a soy free so YAY
Ledboots: she did say that I just hadn't been eating a ton. I was however eating peanut butter a lot.... My biggest challenge has been motivating to eat, I'm rarely hungry so I know I wasn't eating that good.
I'm thinking it's time to rehash my diet anyhow

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sunshine burn, yes. She had me cut dairy soy and nuts all at once.

Here is what we did.
Day one cut him off solids, 4 days later he still wouldn't sleep (slept maybe 4 hours a day, in 15 minute increments) and was still super gassy and constipated. She had me cut d, s and n. She also had me give him prune juice to get him pooping again. After over a week of me being food free (grin, just kidding) and him being off solids for 14 days I started introducing solids to him again. only 1 1/4 tsp per day for the first 5 days then 2 tsp. I stayed on homemade organic carrots for 7 days and just added homegrown home made organic squash last night.
He has been sleeping better again, in fact he is sleeping great now, still not pooping real regular and pretty gassy.

He also had eczema that wouldn't go away. Not sure if it was the diet change or not, but it's about cleared up now, except on Christmas, which made us think perhaps it's stress related too?

He's 7 months old, healthy, happy and a fine weight and height... we went for 3 weeks of no sleep however.

The dairy wasn't hard to give up this time around, the soy and nuts has been harder. (I have the Vegan Table, and LOVE it, but she does use quite a bit of nuts... and soy.. least it seemed like it when I was flipping through). All that said he is still gassy on occasion (real stinky stuff) goes back and forth between being a good pooper and not.

The plan to return Soy and nuts to my diet is one at a time 2 weeks apart after getting him on a few vegetables to eat (that's all she wants him to eat right now)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

Sunshine burn, yes. She had me cut dairy soy and nuts all at once.

Here is what we did.
Day one cut him off solids, 4 days later he still wouldn't sleep (slept maybe 4 hours a day, in 15 minute increments) and was still super gassy and constipated. She had me cut d, s and n. She also had me give him prune juice to get him pooping again. After over a week of me being food free (grin, just kidding) and him being off solids for 14 days I started introducing solids to him again. only 1 1/4 tsp per day for the first 5 days then 2 tsp. I stayed on homemade organic carrots for 7 days and just added homegrown home made organic squash last night.
He has been sleeping better again, in fact he is sleeping great now, still not pooping real regular and pretty gassy.

He also had eczema that wouldn't go away. Not sure if it was the diet change or not, but it's about cleared up now, except on Christmas, which made us think perhaps it's stress related too?

He's 7 months old, healthy, happy and a fine weight and height... we went for 3 weeks of no sleep however.

The dairy wasn't hard to give up this time around, the soy and nuts has been harder. (I have the Vegan Table, and LOVE it, but she does use quite a bit of nuts... and soy.. least it seemed like it when I was flipping through). All that said he is still gassy on occasion (real stinky stuff) goes back and forth between being a good pooper and not.

The plan to return Soy and nuts to my diet is one at a time 2 weeks apart after getting him on a few vegetables to eat (that's all she wants him to eat right now)
My youngest had a sleepless bout at 4, 7, and 12 months. I attributed them to growth spurts. She was initially a super pooper lol but solids complicated things. We turn to pears now to keep things going... and greens. This kid loves spinach smoothies!

Good to hear his eczema cleared up! I've seen a lot of that in moms who drink dairy.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well sad to report his eczema seems to come and go, sleep is touch and go again, and I am so frustrated with what to eat.
I tried pear juice since the dr approved juice but not actually eating pears, he wouldn't touch it. IN fact he wont touch any juice. Not sure how to help him get the poop's out. I would love to think it was a growth spurt but his growth seems to have slowed a little... Dr wasn't worried but did make a push for getting him to sleep.

I guess what has me baffled is why the foods are such an issue now, that he's older..

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
^Did the prune juice help him go? Could you incorporate more prunes into his daily diet? Either in juice or pureed into baby food?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts