VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, though i have been reading it for a while, even befor i registered.

Im an a pesco-vegan(if there is such a thing =P), and plan on eventually going full vegan, but thats a post for a different day..

After hearing about almond milk, and seeing a few recipes on the internet for it, i have started making my own. Im a real sucker for almonds too. But heres my problem, it costs so much to make =O.

If i make it from organic almonds that i can get locally, it costs about $10.00(when using 4/1 ration of water to almonds) to make 1/2 gallon of it(as apposed to about $2.50 for 1/2 gallon of soy milk).

I know ill never get the price down to $2.50 for about 2 cups of almonds, but Im sure i can find them for less than $10.00.

I have searched the intrernet without much luck, do you all have any ideas on where i can find organic almonds for a good price?

Thanks

Smish

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi, and welcome to VB!

Organic almonds seem to be extremely rare for some reason. Is there any specific reason that you like to use organic ones? I know organic is always better, but from a health perspective, I can't imagine a lot of difference between organic and regular almonds.

I have just started experimenting with making almond milk myself, and I usually buy my almonds from a bulk bin at the natural food store. That way the cost of the almond milk ends much lower than Almond Breeze, and even a bit lower than buying rice or soy milk.

I still haven't figured out the 'perfect' technique though. My milk tastes OK, but it's got nothing on the premade stuff.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post

I know ill never get the price down to $2.50 for about 2 cups of almonds, but Im sure i can find them for less than $10.00.

I have searched the intrernet without much luck, do you all have any ideas on where i can find organic almonds for a good price?
I think that if you go for end consumer packages, you won't get it cheap.

My (raw) almonds are about 8-9 dollar a pound.

If you want it cheaper, you should look at bulk quantities. (if it goes per 50lbs bag, it's often cheaper per pound)

You can try the net, but my health food store can order bulk bags too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw jess View Post

This place doesn't have prices up yet. Says the crops will start next month.
Thanks for the replys everyone.

I dont need an end consumer package, and i dont nessecarily need organic, but i would them to be, but i would us regular, it if was a reputable sorce.

Jess, i ran across that place myself when i was searching on google, i have them bookmarked, i think ill email them and ask them what last years price was, to get an idea(ball park anyway) of this years.

Smish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.