VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently converted to a vegan diet. My kids and husband are vegetarian except for fish. For the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) we eat a big veggie lasagna with this red sauce that I cook for days and add some veggie ground "beef". (It is killer!) We were doing the cheesy lasagna, but now (as a lacting creature myself), I can no longer support the forced lactation of any creature, so cheese is out. (Eggs too, but that's just because they are icky.) I'm already thinking ahead to the holidays because I cannot stand the taste of any alternative cheese product I've tried. I'm looking for an alternative lasagna recipe that can still use my red sauce but has the same yummy holiday taste of my holiday lasagna. Any ideas?

surfmom

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The best vegan lasagna recipe that I have found is in How It All Vegan. I also use my own Marinara recipe when I make it. And I leave out the bazil in their ricotta mixture.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Welcome! I'm glad to see you've converted to Vegan and that the rest of your family are striving to become vegetarian. Good for you!

I actually like to slice portabello's really thin and then sautee' them in fresh fork pressed garlic and virgin olive oil. Afterwards, lay the shrooms on a paper towel for a few to get the excess off. I make a red sauce and simmer it for almost 2 hours using all kinds of fresh veggies. I also chop up spinach really really fine. When I'm putting together the lasagna, I layer the spinach, spoon over chunky red sauce, and then lay the shrooms on top. I usually have 4 layers and finish off the top by spooning over red sauce only. Bake at about 325 for an hour and then turn it down to 225 for about 30 minutes. Wonderful!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmm, those portobellos sound to die for!

I don't know what to say about substituting for cheese - you know you need something in there to hold it all together.

I would be interested in hearing the final solution to the dilemma, as I love to make veggie lasagna - I don't use any noodles in mine, just veggies like eggplant, etc. - but I haven't made it without cheese yet.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on switching to a better way of eating!

I found my favorite vegan lasagna recipe at VegWeb. It doesn't call for cheese, but if you have access to Vegan Gourmet's mozzarella cheese alternative (http://www.imearthkind.com/), that stuff rocks.

Here's a link to the lasagna recipe at VegWeb:

http://www.vegweb.com/food/pasta/4787.shtml

I skip the olives, use Whole Foods' sauce instead of Newman's Own, Earth Balance instead of Spectrum, and substitute soy milk for rice milk.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Next time I travel, I'm doing a tour of the world through all you VBers' kitchens to sample all your killer recipes!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i liked the cheese mixture that i got from somewhere:

1/2 crumbled firm tofu

1/2 silky tofu

hand mix with

lemon juice

salt

pepper

various italian spices

then i let it sit for a while (like marinade) so everything soaked in.

it was much like riccota. i liked it a lot.

but mostly i use veggies: whole grain noodles, thinly sliced zuccini, yellow squash, egg plant, basil leaves and spinach leaves, black olives.

i also top it with nutritional yeast, because it makes the top nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts