VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying various dairy free coffee creamers, and have yet to find one that is as creamy as the Coffeemate type stuff, refrigerated liquid (not powder). I have to use a ton to get the same level of whitening that a tbsp gives me with the Coffeemate.

Does one exist that is a bit thicker or creamier to work as well as the regular creamers? The Silk just seems like sweeter soy milk to me, and it's too thin. I like the Trader Joes soy creamer and it is a little better but still not quite as thick, and I can't always make it over there. I don't like the taste of the So Delicious vanilla flavor but haven't tried the original.

Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
319 Posts
DIY, that's the only thing I know to do.

Get some tapioca starch, mix it with some water, gelatinized it (heat it up until it becomes thick- making "pregelatinized starch").

Get something like a mild grapeseed oil (taste it first to make sure it's not rancid or anything), put in the blender with some soy or almond milk (like half and half), and a pinch of soy lecithin.

Blend it up a bit, add the pregelatinized starch, blend more.

You can make it as thick as pudding if you want to.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't need it to be like pudding...just looking for more whitening ability. I would never use enough of that before it went bad to make it worth the effort. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is for the TJ's soy creamer? I can get things through our local natural foods store who is happy to order things but obviously cannot get TJ's brand that way. Is it Wildwood?

Going to try the SD original flavor too. The vanilla is too sweet.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was going to suggest Silk but you already debunked that. I thought it was just like regular creamer. Maybe there's a vegan powdered creamer that you can mix in the coffee with the thinner creamers to get the appearance you're looking for?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post

I don't need it to be like pudding...just looking for more whitening ability.
What I mean is that you can control the concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post

I would never use enough of that before it went bad to make it worth the effort.
It should freeze reasonably well (it sets up kind of like ice cream in the freezer). Takes about five minutes to make if you gelatinize in the microwave.

The main advantage is cost; should be about $2-$3/liter (main expense is oil- you can also use cheaper oil, since coffee covers up the taste pretty well).

After a Google search, I see some people do it without lecithin:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5661205_make...amer-home.html

Frankly, that sounds like a pain. The lecithin helps it mix up more easily, and keeps it from separating (just takes a tiny bit)

They also mention pregelatinized starch, but corn starch instead of tapioca (I'm sure corn starch would work fine too). That recipe is heavy on sugar, though.

Anyway, hope you find a good solution!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The taste is more my concern but I use the appearance in this description because they are closely related. I don't know what my store is doing to the Silk but what I have bought is actually thinner than my soy milk. It's weird. I feel like I have to use a lot to get the taste I'm after even if it looks darker...I'm wiling to accept that if it tastes right...but it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Did you get flavoured silk, or regular? I've only ever tried the french vanilla, so maybe it's thicker because of the flavoring.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried both...both were the same consistency. The vanilla tasted a little better but I still had to use more than I would like to spend my Weight Watchers points on.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
have you tried coconut creme?

its awesome in coffe but does give a litte coconut flavor so some may not like that.

i use the kind in a can. usually the creme sits on top of the milk so i spoon off the top and put it in my bf's coffee, its thick and creamy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts