VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use my crockpot to make a nice hot stew. It's my staple February meal. Except that this is my first cold-weather Feb as a vegetarian, and I'm not sure how to make it! In the past, I just put beef, root vegetables, water and a few spices. I thickened it with flour before eating.

So can anyone suggest a vegan alternative? I imagine that cooking the veggies in water would just end up being kind of bland and tasteless. Any suggestions?

I have turnips, potatoes, yams, onions and carrots to work with.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Just cook a stew the way you used to do, minus the beef, but cook it in vegetable stock instead of water and add a few herbs and thicken with flour. I would toss in a handful of TVP chunks to simulate the stew beef.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Just cook a stew the way you used to do, minus the beef, but cook it in vegetable stock instead of water and add a few herbs and thicken with flour. I would toss in a handful of TVP chunks to simulate the stew beef.
i just got a slowcooker for christmas and this looks like an amazing excuse to try it out

·
Registered
333 Posts
Personally, I'd add some lentils, mung beans or chickpea flour to thicken the stew, along with some finely chopped onions, garlic and ginger for flavour.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Toast the chickpea flour in a dry skillet for a few seconds or it can add a very "raw" taste to the stew.

Plain cornstarch will thicken it too and you only need a very little bit and you needn't go to the health food store to find it. (Just mix the cornstarch with a little cold water before adding to the hot liquid.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts