VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of or recommend a good shampoo and conditioner for dry hair? I have tried Nature's Gate, Avalon and Aubrey. So far, all the shampoos leave my hair too dry. To top things off, I now have an itchy scalp. (probably from all the drying out) So...if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes! I had the same problem as my hair is naturally curly and tends to be dry. I use Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture line (shampoo, daily conditioner, and the once a week treatment). I also use their Gloss Drops every day to define my curl. Paul Mitchell's products are more expensive than the drug store stuff but is so worth it. Plus, you don't really need to use that much. The best part is that none of the products contain animal ingredients or are tested on animals.

You may want to consider using shampoo less often. I shampoo my hair like 2x's a week; that's all it needs. I use conditioner everyday though. And when I shampoo I try not to get it through my hair and just try and shampoo my scalp. You may want to do an olive oil treatment once a week. Take about a quarter cup of olive oil and a few drops of lavender or vanilla. Microwave it so it just starts getting warm. Put all your hair in a pony tail and put the warm olive oil on the ends of your hair. I do this while I clean house on Saturday. It really makes a difference. Don't use too much though because the oil is a little difficult to get out of your hair if you do.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have really curly hair and green tea shampoo and conditioner has saved my life.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This co. also has a tea trea line that is supposed to be good for dry scalp but does not dry out hair. I like to put the shampoo on my face b/c I like the tingly sensation but im strange.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Avocado: What is the brand of green tea shampoo?

Ms Ruthie: Re. the Paul Mitchell, does it cause your hair to become weighed down? I don't mind the cost, as I have spent a fortune on products and have yet to like any of them. Right now, I have 7 different shampoos in my tub, and I hate them all. One more won't hurt.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It doesn't weigh my hair down. I buy Paul Mitchell at the salon I visit. They let me return anything for a refund if I'm not satisfied with it...it's not really advertised but they do it. You may want to check out if there's a salon near you that has the same policy. That way you're not stuck if you don't like it. (btw I go to Hair Care Harmony).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That is the brand. Its simply called green tea it comes in a few different bottles: replenishing, nourishing, etc. im not sure where you are located but in the states I find it and rite aid and drug stores but it is vegan which is cool.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
no sorry. 'green tea' is actually the brand. i swear. it is made by progressive beauty it is just a drugstore brand. Maybe I can download a pic of the bottle

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the Green Tea shampoo say hair therapy down the side of the bottle and then have what looks like oriental writing down the front? If not, then I may need a picture of your shampoo.

Ms. Ruthie...I saw the green tea shampoo from backtobasics earlier today while I was looking at shampoos. I was actually considering giving it a try. My husband uses Paul Mitchell and loves it. It just seems that with my hair, I use a ton of the stuff, but, the one I used by PM was the awapuhi one. Perhaps I was using the wrong one and would do better to try the moisture line.

The problem with my hair is that on top, it goes flat easily, but has this weird wave to it. On the bottom, there is more curl, but it tends to want to friz. I have weird hair in general.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You definitely want to use the Gloss Drops on the ends..it'll define your curl and stop that frizz. Keep the conditions to the bottom half of your hair if you can. That way there's less chance to get weighed down. I like my hair straightened, but it beats it up too much. So I've been trying to wear it natural without blow drying it. It's just so much shorter when I don't do anything to it (check out the photo album). I can relate to the weird hair thing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MsR: You are so pretty! Your hair is so pretty, too. When I say my hair is weird, I really mean weird. It has this wavy thing going on, and if it gets too long on top, it gets heavy, yet does this strange loopy-de-loop thing in the bang area. My dance teacher wants us to straighten our hair for the show, but my hair is cut in layers and looks terrible straight. (well, to be honest, I've not been able to get it to go 100% straight, so I guess I don't really know how it would look) My hair dresser even thinks it would look really bad if I straighten it. So....what to do with this mop!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thank you
When I want my hair straight, I use those really big velcro rollers. It'll straighen it out but still have bounce and just a little curl (like that one B & W pic of me). Plus, you'll have a lot of body on top and I don't think it'll go flat. I have some curly hair tip sites on my PC at home..hairstyles and whatnot. I'm at work right now, but if I get on my PC at home tonight I'll either post them or PM you. They are super cool

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have very thick hair and I've found the Nature's Gate Sea Kelp and Aloe Shampoo and Conditioner to work really well at keeping it soft and de-tangled. If your hair gets weighted down rinse it with a vinegar rinse in the shower ( 1 TBSP vinegar-4 C water). This removes build-up and neutralizes the hairs Ph level.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aarealskei

Does the Green Tea shampoo say hair therapy down the side of the bottle and then have what looks like oriental writing down the front? If not, then I may need a picture of your shampoo.

YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I second Paul Mitchell. Not all the products are vegan though. They recently started using beeswax in some stuff.

I have past the bottom of my butt, 'ethnic', wavy color treated (currently black and pink/purple), fine hair. I use the body building shampoo and the daily conditioner. I tried the moisture one in the tube and it does leave your hair soft. PM prices are not bad. I work at a salon and some other hair care is way more in cost. Average price for PM shampoo is $6 for a month supply sized bottle. Conditioner is a bit more depending on what you buy. This local store sells PM 20% all the time so I luck out. I tried getting the salon to carry it so I can score some freebies...

Just a note...I find that many health food store branded hair care dries my hair out and strips the color...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't like the Paul Mitchell line very much. I guess it all depends on your individual hair type. I like Biolage and Camocare. I rotate.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My hair has a tendency to be on the dry side. I use Jason's Sea Kelp Shampoo and Avalon's Lavendar conditioner.

Punkmommy~

My hair is very thick too. I call it my helmet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking about trying the Wella brand stuff, but geeez, it's expensive! I managed to find the Green Tea stuff that avocado suggested, so I bought it. Thank goodness, the place that I bought it at will take it back if I don't like it. I decided to start with the least expensive stuff and work my way up the ladder with everyone's suggestions. Now that I don't have to keep the product if I don't like it, this should work out. Thanks for the suggestions, and please, if anyone else has some ideas, please keep sharing. I've learned that what works for one, doesn't work for the other. It just helps to have an idea of where to begin looking. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Also, my daughter has dry, super long hair (past the butt, like you Muffcake) so even if something doesn't work for me, it may work for her, too. This will be very interesting to how things turn out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Another option of products I like is Abba. I tried the shampoo and it was refreshing. It is a bit pricey. However Abba stuff smells yummy...Fruity almost like fruit punch! *Homer drool*

I usually stick to PM like I stated since for me it is cheap and it works. One product I recommend for dry hair that is (or should be) under $10 is the daily moisture conditioner in the tube. A little goes a long way and leaves your hair shiny and soft!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts