VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love bagels. I'm slowly weaning off of dairy, but I can't seem to find something that I really like to replace the cream cheese on a bagel. I've used peanut butter and also vegan margarine, but neither seem to go very well with fresh veggies on a bagel (tomatos, sprouts, cucumbers, etc). The cream cheese substitue products are not easily accessible to me, so I don't want to rely on those.

Does anyone have a good suggestion? i thought about maybe running an avacado thru the food processor, but haven't tried it.

TIA!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
dangit, I was going to recommend tofutti creamy smooth

have you tried hummus? I've found that goes well with near everything. Or tomato paste? Of course, neither of these taste like cream cheese, but I imagine both would go well with some veggies and a bagel.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

dangit, I was going to recommend tofutti creamy smooth
Yeah. Same here. The Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream is. Honestly, it tastes very similar to cream cheese without having to get a cow involved, so, really, what's better than that?

Maybe you could find a place, stock up and freeze it?

What about White Bean Dip?

I make the recipe I listed (minus the toasted sesame seeds) almost once a week. It's great in pita bread with tomatoes and mixed greens. I reckon it'd taste pretty decent on a bagel too.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I haven't tried this myself, in fact I just found it for the first time looking for answers for you... Vegcooking has a recipe for homemade vegan cream cheese.

Tofu Cream Cheese

Spread this on your bagel or roti for a quick snack. Tofu cream cheese is friendlier to cows than traditional cheese. With half the fat, it's also friendlier to your waistline!

12.3 oz. extra firm silken tofu

3 1/2 Tbsp. cashew butter or 5 Tbsp. raw cashews, finely ground

4 1/2 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. liquid sweetener (optional)

• Place the tofu in a clean tea towel, gather the end up and twist and squeeze for a couple of minutes to extract most of the water.

• Crumble into a food processor with the remaining ingredients and process for several minutes until the mixture is very smooth. You may have to stop the machine and loosen the mixture with a spatula once or twice.

• Use right away or scrape into a covered container and refrigerate. It firms up with refrigeration.

Makes 2 cups

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This sounds interesting too: (from Uncaged.co.uk)

Cashew Cream

Ingredients:

200g cashews

800ml apple juice

2tbs sunflower oil

sugar to taste

vanilla essence to taste

Method:

Bring the cashews and apple juice to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the cashews soften (five to ten minutes). Cover, and leave to cool for a couple of hours, or overnight.

Remove the softened cashews with a slotted spoon, and liquidise with the oil, and as little of the apple juice as possible, adding sugar and vanilla essence to taste.

The cream is delicious with fresh fruit salad, and as an ingredient in a wide variety of desserts.

Also.... (from BBC.co.uk/food)

Vegan cream cheese

by Tony Weston and Yvonne Bishop, from Vegan

Serves 4

Preparation time less than 30 mins

Cooking time no cooking required

Resembling ricotta, this cheese is especially good on toast with home-made jam. Alternatively, it can be eaten as a savoury - rolled into balls and dipped in herbs, cracked black peppercorns or seaweed flakes.

Ingredients

175g/6oz tofu

50g/2oz coconut oil, melted

1 tbsp rapeseed oil

1 tbsp lime juice

1 tbsp agave syrup (substitute honey or maple syrup)

2 tsp salt

Method

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or liquidiser and combine well.

2. Transfer the mixture to a glass jar, store in the refrigerator and use as required. It will keep for up to one week.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would try the avocado. I've used them in place of mayonnaise on sandwiches before and it worked pretty good.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I make something like what Trueveggie wrote, except I used almonds instead of cashews. Just wanted to mention that if you aren't big on cashews, it's still yummy.
I also do water instead of lemon juice, and raw sugar instead of liquid sweetner. (So really, it's exactly like hers except not at all, I know.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts