VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I really miss having a "real" companion animal around. I mean like one that isn't so indifferent to your presence like a dog or rat ( flying squirrel?). I really miss having a dog. My dog who was no longer living with me, was PTS last spring. While I've been stuck here self medicating for my metabolism issues, that issue has really been on my mind.

So here I am in my entrapment style living arrangment where dogs are not allowed, a cat cost special rent fees and almost everything is restricted down to being only allowed a ten gal tank, I feel like it's like being a permanent college student/ dorm thing sometimes. I only have my mice because they are small enough to get away with, otherwise they too would be restricted away.

My ex dog's worn purple collar hangs in my bathroom as a reason of why I fight for self enpowerment.

The shame is that there are other people living in entrapment situations where they not allowed to have a companion animal and in the meantime elsewhere they are PTS for lack of homes, the pity of it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I know how you feel. Around three years ago, my living situation changed so that I was actually able to have a companion animal. I started looking at dogs, but a cat named Christina dropped in my lap by some relatives looking to unload her on someone.

And while I love and adore her, she's not big on having other animals in the house. It took 2 years to slowly introduce my husband's cat to her.

And while we are very content with our two cats, really, we both grew up with dogs and we both want a dog (or two) badly.

But the reality is that the peace we've managed to achieve between the two cats is extremely delicate, adding a dog to the mix is just asking for trouble. Plus, really, we're looking at two, maybe three more years of apartment living and the breeds that we'd both be interested in aren't really the best apartment type dogs.

So, we wait and stare longingly at the dogs being walked around the lake, wrestle and play with friend's dogs and volunteer at places where we can play with dogs up for adoption.

Eventually the time will be right for adopting a dog, but for now, I'll be happy with the cat who is asleep in my lap right now.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm dying to have cows. Probably even less convinient animals than dogs. There are a few retired dairy cows at my parents farm who get to live out their lives there but I wish they were with me. I plan on buying a little bit of land sometime within the next 10 years but they may well have died by then since diary cows have pretty hard lives. My Joey already died of bloat. He was my big steer who was supposed to come and live with me one day, I was so looking foward to it. I miss Joey. Nothing makes me happier than looking after cows.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I would love to have a dog, but I feel that my current home and lifestyle aren't very beneficial for a dog. I have a very small apartment which I share with two cats, plus I'm not home for most of the week, so the dog would get to spend any decent amount of time with me only on the weekends. Plus, I don't have a backyard, which I would want to have for a dog to run around in.

As a matter of fact, the reason I have cats and not a dog is because I remember years ago telling my sister just what I posted above, that I would like to have a dog but that I thought I couldn't provide enough of the necessities for one in my current living situation. I was also concerned about separation anxiety. She suggested I consider adopting a cat or two, since they're well suited to small living spaces and aren't quite as prone to separation anxiety as dogs. (They still do have SA, though!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

So here I am in my entrapment style living arrangment....The shame is that there are other people living in entrapment situations
What is an entrapment situation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts