VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new Vegan. This was posted on another forum after some were critical of my diet and said that the problems might not show up right away but as years go on I would have more problems with b-12 and require more supplementation and injections.

I need to hear from long time vegans and this issue. This is the link that was posted as example of what would happen if I continue on my vegan diet even with supplemetation.
Please comment if you have been a long time vegan on your problems or sucess with your diet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiHaW...re=uploademail

part two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgkL...eature=channel

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Well, I've only been vegan for about a year myself but I know we have some super long term vegans on this board who are healthy.

As for the videos, I have only one comment. It's interesting that people who go back to animal products for their "health" never just try eating free range eggs or something, they always end up pigging out on a bunch of fish and meat and who knows what else. If it's really about getting B12 as she claims, why not just have an egg a week or something? Why go full on animal killer when she even said herself it makes her feel bad?

Personally I haven't found any evidence of some magical substance in animal products that makes people more healthy, and the B12 you get from them is the same B12 you can get from vegan sources. There's no way eating meat or eggs is a better source of B12 than taking it sublingually or getting a shot is, so why not bypass the cruelty?

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Vegetarian since I was a teenager, vegan for a couple years, not even close to having problems with B12 thus far.
Fortified foods such as cereals, soy milk, nutritional yeast and a supplement if necessary seem to take care of it. Although I'm bad and skip the multivitamin frequently - still no B12 issues or any other issues other than vitamin D which is due to lack of sunlight. That problem has been taken care of for me with a D2 supplement.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

It's interesting that people who go back to animal products for their "health" never just try eating free range eggs or something, they always end up pigging out on a bunch of fish and meat and who knows what else. If it's really about getting B12 as she claims, why not just have an egg a week or something? Why go full on animal killer when she even said herself it makes her feel bad?
Well said! If you "have" to eat animal products, why not eat majority vegan, and a small amount of and most ethical meat/egg/dairy products you can find (or preferably, raise/hunt yourself)?. Why is it "I need to eat meat for medical reasons *chomps on a factory farmed bacon burger*?", there's nothing healthy about that! It's not in for a penny in for a pound yknow.

Which is all hypothetical anyway, because there's no reason it would happen.

I've been vegan for three years, I don't know how long term that is! I'm healthy though

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not going to start eating meat. I just wanted some reassurance. Thanks for your comments. Good point brought up is the b-12 in supplement would not be any different than the b-12 in meat or other animal products. I thought she said she was not ready for red meat but was eating fish and eggs. I want to continue eating vegan. I had my b-12 tested a few months ago and it was 200. I had one injection and was supposed to go back and was laid off and lost my medical insurance. I am not good about taking pills but I could make it a habit. When I was tested I was still eating some animal products. I have since cut out all animal products but concerned about my b12. When I was a teen my mom bought me blackstrap molasses after going to a chiropracter that also did nutritional counsuling.

Is it a good source of iron that the body can utilize and do any of you use it?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Actually the B12 in meat (and other animal products) is different from the one found in vegan supplements. The one in vegan supplements is usually cyanocobalamin whereas B12 in animal products is one of methyl-, hydroxo- or adenosyl- cobalamin. Cyanocobalamin is converted in the animals (including humans) to these less shelf-stable, but more fit for purpose types of B12. A miniscule amount of people lack the ability to convert sufficient amounts of cyanocobalamin to the other types.

I think it's a good idea to consume some B12-fortified foods/drinks in addition to the supplements, just to be on the safe side - especially if you often forget to take your supplement. Even though there usually isn't a lot of B12 in such foods, the body is especially good at absorbing it when in small doses. (But that doesn't mean small doses result in more absorbed B12 in total.) B12-fortified soya milk (and other plant milks), B12-fortified cereal etc are some alternatives.

Edit: I've been a vegan since 2004, and have had no ill effects from it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well, I've only been vegan a few months, but there are tons of long time healthy vegans on this site. Also, I've seen her other videos of what she eats on an average day, and it wouldn't surprise me she's not healthy.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post

I need to hear from long time vegans and this issue. This is the link that was posted as example of what would happen if I continue on my vegan diet even with supplemetation.
I think people are just trying to scare you. This woman is not an example of what will happen to you with supplementation, because she went raw vegan and didn't take any supplements. She says she's not into dogma, and yet she moved to Asia for the sun because she won't take vitamin D? She got herself into trouble because she dogmatically refused to take supplements like any reasonable person would do.

There is always a chance, however, that you, and possibly she, are people who lose their ability to absorb B12 from diet, both from foods and from supplements. This happens to more omnivores than vegans, and no one knows exactly what causes the loss of intrinsic factor. If that happens to you your diet is not the cause, since it also happens to meat eaters.

And methylcobalamin is available in a sublingual form. It is what I take. Just make sure the stearic acid used in it is from a vegetable source, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
721 Posts
^agreed. also, i have an omni friend who couldn't possibly eat any more meat and has a b12 deficiency that requires her to get shots. if you worry about b12, ask to get your b12 checked in your blood panel every time you get a physical. if you get it done every year or two you should be able to catch any issues before they get out of control. its only one extra box your physician needs to check off so its not a big deal to add it to the rest of your blood work.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Take medical advice from certified dietitians. People like Ginny Marissa and Jack Norris run really good blogs and websites about vegan health. It's more than possible to get all your vital nutrients from a vegan diet if you supplement with one or two and eat fortified foods.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments and info. I am understanding more and doing some reading. I am not going to let anyone discourage me. I have felt better and have more energy since going vegan. I had an issue with my b12 before going vegetarian. I believe it was due to a problem with gluten. I am allergic to wheat and soy and was going to be tested for celiacs before i lost my health insurance and was laid off. I am working now but will not have health insurance until nextyear. I am doing ok. I feel better since I have been taking supplements but your information shed a lot of light on the subject. I should google and read up before asking questions to all of you but it makes more sense sometimes when someone can explain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been vegan for nearly 10 years. I take a B12 supplement and frequently eat B12 fortified cereal and nutrition bars (luna bars!). I also supplement for vit.D and just started an iron supplement, but just to try it out and see how I feel.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I chose not to watch the videos. I have been vegan 5+ years. I feel fine. I will have my vitamin B12 checked one of these days. I take the B12 supplements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts