VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Very happy to have found this forum and to be here.
I've been vegetarian on and off since 1983, and for every reason in the book.
Student days -- economic vegetarian
late 20s -- vegetarian for ecological reasons
early 30s -- vegetarian for philosophical/ religious reasons
now -- vegetarian for my health (plus philosophical and ecological reasons)

My blood type is O, so I find being vegetarian difficult. When married for a few years, I ate some meat and found my energy levels skyrocketed. My body obviously needed something in the meat. Then I was totally veggie for 10 years, and last year added fish once in a while to my diet, again for health reasons, as my energy levels were ridiculously low. That helped a lot, though energy levels remain low (just diagnosed hypothyroid).

I would love to be vegan but cannot seem to manage it, as much as my brain loves the idea. Hoping on this forum to find ideas for how to be a healthier vegetarian, as well as support for eating even lower down on the food chain.

With thanks,

LinLin

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Eat enough leafy green vegetables.

I have seen polls on veg*n boards where about 50% are type O blood type. So......it's not related to "needing" or "wanting" meat. That was debunked.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Welcome

There is nothing in meat that can't be found in vegan food, besides B12 and vitamin D. Are you supplementing both of those? It sounds to me like it is more a psychological battle with you, that you think your energy is low due to vegetarianism (though it is due to thyroid) so you eat meat and feel better for it, even though the health issue remains. Perhaps take some time to really research all the health benefits of veganism, and how supposed health risks have been debunked (blood group diets are a good example) so that you can convince yourself you don't need meat.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Honestly, I think your lack of energy is from the thyroid. I have hypothyroidism and have always had issues even with meds. Eating veg has made my energy skyrocket. I feel way better. As long as you balance your diet, there shouldn't be a problem. There are vegans who are body builders and who run marathons, triathlons, etc... I can't see people with a diet that causes energy issues being able to do those things. As far as the blood type diet, there is no real science supporting it. You are better off to ignore fad diets and eat a wholesome, balanced diet with few processed foods. That kind of diet IS supported by science.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
See your physician and get a full check up, blood works will probably reveal anything serious.
If you are healthy without any medical issues, I'd say eat more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts