VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does anyone have any knowledge or can point me in the direction of long term protein deficiency symptoms? Most of the information online seems to be about severe deficiencies, but I'm more interested in sub-clinical.

The reason is I've been vegetarian for 23 years, and over the past two years have been ill with suspected CFS/ME/fibromyalgia type symptoms (tiredness, muscle aches, sleeping lots etc.). I've been tested for almost everything and Drs have found very little (low IgM mainly, B12 was down but that was rectified over a year ago). So I looked properly at my diet and reckon I may have only been getting about 40g of protein a day since I was 14, despite it being varied with dairy, eggs, beans, soya and the rest. I've upped this now and am beginning to feel better but don't know if that's just coincidence. Anyone have any experience of this? How long can it take to correct such a deficiency?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Hi all

Does anyone have any knowledge or can point me in the direction of long term protein deficiency symptoms? Most of the information online seems to be about severe deficiencies, but I'm more interested in sub-clinical.

The reason is I've been vegetarian for 23 years, and over the past two years have been ill with suspected CFS/ME/fibromyalgia type symptoms (tiredness, muscle aches, sleeping lots etc.). I've been tested for almost everything and Drs have found very little (low IgM mainly, B12 was down but that was rectified over a year ago). So I looked properly at my diet and reckon I may have only been getting about 40g of protein a day since I was 14, despite it being varied with dairy, eggs, beans, soya and the rest. I've upped this now and am beginning to feel better but don't know if that's just coincidence. Anyone have any experience of this? How long can it take to correct such a deficiency?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum.

I strongly recommend that you have a Registered Dietitian analyze your diet with you. It seems unlikely that you've only been getting 40 grams of protein per day, unless (1) you've been eating too few calories, (2) your diet has been centered on fruit for all these years, and/or (3) you're obtaining a significant % of your calories from nutrient-poor foods (sugary snacks, fried foods, and/or alcohol).

A Registered Dietitian can also give you authoritative information about the effects of chronically-low protein intake.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org . On that website, just click on the red "Find An Expert" button in the upper-right part of the home page. On the website, you can select from RD's who specialize in vegetarian nutrition. RD's will also work with you and your physician towards the treatment of your illness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts