VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fifteen years ago I had a falling out with a relative. I contacted her a couple times, and when she made no effort to patch the relationship, I moved on with my life.

After 3 years I moved a couple times and she didn't know where I was (she would have been able to contact me for 3 years after the fight). Last night she called me. She says she hired a private investigator and spent a bit of money to find me.

She says she's having legal problems with another relative, and seems to need me to help her set some things straight. She says she has some things from another relative who passed away that she wants to give me.

I'm so totally confused. I don't know if I want to let this person back in my life. She caused me a lot of pain, and I don't trust her. But OTOH, fifteen years, people change.

Has anybody ever had a person from your past contact you? What did you do? How did you decide whether to talk with them again?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
You need to do some soul searching. If the main reason for keeping at bay is the fear of being hurt again, I'd say it's worth the risk. How close were you? If there is a chance to get back something that was good/special I'd say go for it. If the relationship wasn't that meaningful to begin with, then you still have nothing to lose really. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I would probably give the relationship another try.

I had a girl show up in my life a few years after we stopped talking. I was ready to give her her second chance with me, but she never bothered to try to contact me after saying she would. I go out of my way for nobody.

But ... she hired someone to find you. That seems pretty serious to me. Maybe let her make her case and see if you really think she has changed and wants more than favors from you.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

She says she's having legal problems with another relative, and seems to need me to help her set some things straight.
I'd be grilling her a bit on what these legal problems are and which relative it is. Then I'd probably ring the other relative and get their side of the story before I made a decision to help.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

I'd be grilling her a bit on what these legal problems are and which relative it is. Then I'd probably ring the other relative and get their side of the story before I made a decision to help.
I agree with this completely.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree with Pixelle and Veggielove.

Also, with what Mskedi said, she might disappear again after the legal stuff is over with (or if you can't help her). If you can deal with that, give it a go!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses. If I'm a little quiet on this thread, it's because it hurts a bit to talk about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts