VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it goes-I sometimes get depressed that I'm the only veggie that I know.
I mean I can't look at my coworkers and go "hey have ya tried that homemade falafel yet?" or anything like that for that manner. I mean it really gets me down sometimes, not enough to where I'll stop being a veggie, that'll never happen! Am I being ridiculous? Or does anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I totally hear you 808veggie!! I too am the lone vegetarian among my friends and family. Although everyone is pretty open minded, I have yet to have one of them rave about their latest tofu marinade or give their opinion about the various soy fake meats available. For this reason, I was ecstatic when I found this board and I have become quite addicted to reading and posting. It is like overnight, I suddenly made hundreds of veggie friends!! Granted this board doesn't quite take the place of having veggie friends in person (no offense to anyone
), but it is a great start. I have gotten some great info and ideas from this board that I probably wouldn't otherwise have found.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
it can get very lonely sometimes, but VB makes a world of difference for me.. now that i at least have a community of online veg friends it does not seem so much like i am a lone vegan anymore..

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I'd say a lot of other veg*ns feel the same, including (and possibly especially) those who don't use the Internet. I sure feel it heavily at times, and places like VB help a lot. I spent the first few years when I was veg*n totally alone; no Internet or even in-person veg*n contact. Those years really sucked.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I totally relate. I contribute to everyone I know feeling irritated or guilty. I'm the only vegan I know, except for my cousin in Oregon. VB has helped me immensely, but I still feel lonely and misunderstood, sometimes.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I'm the only vegan I know, except people here. I know a few vegetarians, but still, I'm the lone one, especially in my family. My family understands my veg*nism, and accepts it, and I love them to death, but they are far from veg*n.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ah, yes, I get incredibly lonely. My lack of knowledge about being vegetarian and not having anyone to talk to was what led to my previous attempt failing.

It still gets lonely, though. I've met two othe vegetarians. One who was my best friend, moved, had an eating disorder, became veggie, and almost attempted suicide. The other moved when I was in fourth grade, but she did make a huge impact on me. I haven't talked to either in a long time.

And the fact that most people just don't get it. I have the luck of having omni friends who just try to agitate me. It'd be nice to have another person around who understands/can help out in those situations.

Of course, VB is wonderful. We should have a VB fanclub.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I love VB. It would be so hard if it weren't for my online buddies... I know one vegetarian and hardly ever see her... I don't know if I would have ever given up dairy if it wasn't for this place.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
no.

i usually don't feel lonely because i'm the only veg i know. I have no problem being different in any number of ways.

but, sometimes i do feel lonely because i lack any human contact.

for instance, in my job, most people are working when i'm not working. So here goes:

am: teach classes. These are 1 to 1.5 hour times when i'm teaching classes, and i do communicate with people through voice and touch--BUT i don't get to just chat about cats, dogs, families, holidays--chit, chat stuff. I don't get to "relate" on that basic level.

afternoons: time to myself, usually spent doing work for the yoga center, cleaning the house, or just getting chores done. i'm alone most afternoons--everyone else is at work. they can't talk on the phone, hang out, or any other thing, like the rest of you may do with friends after work (ie, happy hour, etc). Also my husband is at work so i don't get to see him.

pm: teaching, same as above. People leave after class. i'm tired so i head home. Husband is already in bed. I crash about 30 minutes later.

husband usually gets up and leaves before i wake up. . .so i don't see him usually unless it's at the gym on tues and fri (where he's working out over there and i'm over here so we don't get to chat), or on sat and sun (unless i'm busy).

So, where most of you may have coworkers to talk to and get off work when you friends and family do--i don't. So, occassionally i get very lonely just "in general."

but, i'm also a "loner" so i dont' get "depressed," i mostly get bored. So, 'm working on various activities to keep me busy.

So, here's my new afternoon schedule:

Mon: Yoga center stuff and exercise with my sister (walking, roller blading, or swimming)

tues: home chores and gym with husband

wed: rock climbing (looking for partner who can do it in the afternoons from 2-5 pm)

thurs: yoga studio chores plus exercise with sister

fri: yoga studio chores plus gym

That gives me a bit more human contact, rather than sitting at home/working at home alone. Which is helpful. I think that in time i'll connect with more people, which will help.

But, i don't get lonely or depressed being a vegetarian. I generally don't even think about it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys *sniff*! I love this website! I'm soooooo addicted that at night before I know it, I've been on forever! It's nice that I can chat with people who share the same beliefs.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I am possibly one of the loneliest vegans in existence or ever has been I would think... BUT you have to think of it as not the fault of veganism and just know that there is nothing wrong with you personally... and if for example you experience being lonely in crowds, or your home is perhaps totally isolated it is sad in either case, but at least you know you can still stay relatively well in mind and in spirit despite all that contradicts your well being as can be said for me, by knowing the likes of people at VB are just a whisker away which is a feeling of paradise!! and in feeling that it helps you gain some control over your life and whatever situation makes loneliness scary into a more calmer affair.

Not least of course is that a lot depends on your geographical whererwithall and the density or sparsity of vegans within it and if there is none in your locality, VB will set you right in affording you the company you need/and that we all need.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes i get very lonely as well. I am the only Vegetarian in my family (extended too) and as well with friends and team mates. I always get the weird eye at family gatherings, when they are enjoying turkey
and i am eating one of my own home made meals. It takes awhile to realize that you are the only one in a bunch, but you are the one that is making the difference. You actually may be suprised about how many people are Veg*n.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yep, I pretty much feel the same way as everyone here. While I do like my "alone time", sometimes I do wish that I knew veg*ns. I've taken up yoga and I volunteer and the local humane society but I still can't seem to find anyone to hang out with. I'm very happy though that I found this board.. I can have a conversation with people who believe in the things that I do.

It does get a bit frustrating at times because I feel like an outcast. I just keep looking for new veggies to talk with.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have a few friends, but like I said before since they're omnis, it's hard to have a conversation about the best soymilk. My omni coworkers the other day were like "hey we saw your soymilk in the fridge and your lucky we didn't drink it haha", I was like just try it or shut up! Maybe someone here would like to be my PM buddy on a daily basis to chit chat? Any takers?
Have a lovely day!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey guys, I used to feel that way too. I think I have been a veg*n for about a year now (first a vegetarian then vegan) and I was so lonely because my coworkers/rfriends made such a big deal about it and they said a bunch of stupid things, my favorite being "Those plants were killed for you" (I was eating strawberries!). I get this one all of the time and they always say" I couldn't give up milk, I love it!" Whatever. I always tell them I could tell them things about their meat and dairy products that would make them not want to eat them anymore. Any who, I don't feel that way anymore because I don't feel "different" anymore and I write a fellow vegetarian daily and talk about foods and random things. It makes me feel like I am not alone. If you want to PM me you are welcome to
Shannon

·
Registered
720 Posts
When my co-workers first learned that I was a vegetarian, many of them made fun of me, while others asked all those annoying questions (like: what if you & your dog were stranded in Alaska and you had to either eat your dog or starve to death?...).

But, since they've come to know me and seen that I'm pretty 'normal,' I've found that most of them are quite willing to talk w/me about my favorite soy/oat/rice milk (in fact, several people are lactose intolerant, so we discuss our favorites together). And, tofu is quite the 'trendy' food right now, so I get to chat about my scrambles and eggless-'egg'-sandwiches and most people don't bat an eye.

There will always be the people who try to ridicule or set you apart from 'normal' people---don't fall for their attempts to alienate you! Sure, our eating habits (and perhaps ethics) do differ from many other's, but we're all still here together. We're never truly alone. (And, I agree, having an on-line group DOES help).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Being vegetarian didn't bother me as far as a lonliness factor; there was still plenty of cheese to share! But I couldn't handle the vegan thing alone ... then I found VB. There are plenty of conversations here about soymilks and tofu!

IRL I finally got lucky and a friend went vegetarian -- not vegan (yet...), but she loves to cook vegan with me. I'm so glad 'cause cooking for just one person all the time sucks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think there is a uniqueness to it! I don't like to conform! And I always find it fun when someone is curious, and you get to educate them some!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Unique is great but it's not just that that makes me unique... and it would be nice to have someone IRL to say "Hey, have you tried sanitarium's soy nuggets?" Etc. Instead of having to keep it in...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts