VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in sunny (and muggy) daytona beach, fl. let's just come out there and say it. it's not a vegan mecca. the only other vegan i know (period) is my SO.

this board is great for support and all, but does anyone ever wish they could physically hang around other vegans in their area? i feel like the only convert to a new religion.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yup, it gets lonely sometimes, where i am too. can't let it get you down though! maybe you could hang out in coffee shops, or near soy products in the grocery store? i've tried that to no avail, but i keep trying. or you could put up lots of vegan/animal rights bumper stickers if you have a car. at the very least you'll probably meat vegetarians or veg-friendly people. maybe even convert a few of your own

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
yes.

but if the parable about wide paths being bad is any indication, the proper paths through life will be lonely.

at any rate, try meetup.com -

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
If you think Daytona Beach, FL is no vegan mecca you should visit sunny Norman, OK sometime.
I have met a handful of vegetarians here, and am friends with a few, close friend with one. I've only ever met one other vegan IRL and she lives across the country from here.

I know just what you are saying about feeling lonely, and like a convert to a new religion. At least we have VB, I suppose.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I feel for you.

But I'm going to my first vegetarian/vegan potluck next week! :O So the lonely vegan-ness will end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Me too! I actually fantasize about having vegan friends that I could invite over for dinner.
..........Instead of just my omni friends who at best give my meals a funny look and try and not say anything too rude. Sigh.

What cities do you think have a lot of vegans? I am guessing San Francisco.....maybe other CA cities......anyone know of any?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on the other hand, it's kind of a strange idea to think that i would have anything in common with anyone else based just on the food we both eat. like "you like breathing air too??!! i LOVE breathing air! let's hang out!"

my only consolation is my one vegetarian friend and my other veg-friendly (and respectful) friend who cook for us all the time (and vice versa)

but still.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everyone is an individual and not all vegans will get along, still... there is so much to be said about a person who chooses to live this way. Compassion, intelligence, kindness, an open mind, love of life, (and a ready answer about protein) are generally qualities that all vegans have. It puts so much common ground between us that I already respect every vegan I meet.

I am lucky to live in a big city (so we are a big minority) but my vegan brother is still sticking it out back home in a very small town in PA. I have even more respect for him and all of you who are the smallest minority~ you are making a greater difference just by existing there.

Tallboy, are there any health food stores anywhere near you? Of course, we have loads of them here but I have never made any friends there, but that's just me reverting to third-grade shyness. I do look around in awe, especially at a vegan restaurant where I think "Every person in this room shares a fundamental belief with me... wow..."

Of my closest friends that I socialize with daily, three are vegetarian, one is not, I guess I am the lonely vegan too. I need to speak up at the health food store myself.

Maybe you could organize a small vegan event or dinner or bake sale and put up flyers; especially if you are near any colleges... see who bites. You may have a new BFF
out there wishing to be found, you are obviously a very groovy guy (I know 'cause you're vegan.)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ah, I am yet another lonely vegan.
I know of one girl at my school who is vegan, but I don't really talk to her.

Two of my friends are pescetarians (but call themselves vegetarians...), but I guess that's better than them eating pork, beef, chicken, and turkey, too. My best friend is an omni.

Sorry about rambling on about my situation. Maybe find a vegan restaurant/cafe near you and hang out there? Or you could find out about vegan events going on in your community. You might meet someone there.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
As has already been alluded to in this thread, it's an unfortunate but existent fact that similarity in diet doesn't guarantee a working or lasting relationship.

People are the only thing that can make that work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I live in Georgia. As in, there are cow/chicken farms literally every couple of miles. I have only met like 2 total vegetarians in my life, but never a vegan. Yesterday I was in the store, and I was in the health section buying some food, and it turns out that the nurtition lady that I usually talk to is vegetarian. So that was cool.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy View Post

on the other hand, it's kind of a strange idea to think that i would have anything in common with anyone else based just on the food we both eat. like "you like breathing air too??!! i LOVE breathing air! let's hang out!"
This is a good point. I know several vegans now, and we sometimes have social gatherings, but I don't really feel that close to any of them, and usually all we end up talking about is food and cats...

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

This is a good point. I know several vegans now, and we sometimes have social gatherings, but I don't really feel that close to any of them, and usually all we end up talking about is food and cats...
What, you mean there are other things to discuss besides food and cats??

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
What, you mean there are other things to discuss besides food and cats??
Hahaha!!

I know what you guys mean though, I only know one other vegan in real life, and she's a nice girl, but we don't have much in common.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My best friend is also vegan, and I know a lot of other kids who are too. I live in Burlington VT and a lot of the hardcore kids are vegan or vegetarian. If you want to find a vegan in burlington look for a group of punks looking all sketchy hanging out on a roof or parking lot and at least one will be vegan.

out of my main group of friends one guy has been vegan for 6 years, I have been for about 4 months, another guy is trying to go vegetarian, and the 4th is omni, and we cook vegan every weekend. Its awesome when the omni says hes been craving vegan mac and cheese.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm. Where to meet vegetarians and/or vegans...? Um...hmm...I've met quite a few at pagan events, animal shelters, and even the culinary arts institute back in the Midwest. Maybe also church or temple groups? I hear many Buddhists are vegetarian, but haven't had the good fortune to run into a Buddhist myself. ^^;;

Alternative bookshops might also be a good place to start. Most of them have bulletin boards for customer group-meetups. You could maybe get a free email account someplace, post a mini-flyer saying something like: "Hey, wanting to have monthly vegan potlucks at Galloway Park. Email me for details: [email protected]" or whatever.

Sometimes it's hard. Out of the people I know in Seattle (not a small town by any means), none are vegetarian and/or vegan. A few of the wives of my guy friends "used to be vegetarian" and they spend hours apologizing to me for eating meat. Oh, well. At least they eat my food concoctions without comment!

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are a lot of vegans and vegetarians in Boston (used to live there) and DC (live there now). You can usually tell by how many vegan/vegetarian restaurants there are in the area. I bet there are actually lots of veggies in places that maybe you don't think there are. When I moved to DC I didn't think there were any vegetarian restaurants till I did a google search and there are about 30 near me. I bet if you put out a little add and started a veggie club you'd be surprised how many came out of the woodwork.

Other than that, I never found it necessary for a person to be a vegan/vegetarian for me to be their friend.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.