VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
theveganandmuffin
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been living the vegan lifestyle for just about five months. I'm really into it, and not just the food, but the cause.

I'm still 22 and done with college, taking my masters degree and working as a teacher. All the friends I made in my life are the ones I was with when I was self-centered and a party animal. I think I got tired of it all too soon (or not. given that I started at 15).

With that and my new lifestyle, I find it difficult or just different now hanging out with the normal people I would have in the past. I mean of course, I occasionally go out and make my presence known in the outside world (out of work and my very comfortable home), but it has been harder to click with many people.

Has it been different or more difficult to socialize for anyone else since your way of living changed?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think that can happen in anyone's life when you change your lifestyle and your interests and hobbies change. Sometimes when a friendship is built on only one activity/interest, i.e. partying, then when one is no longer interested in that activity the friendship can kind of disappear a bit.. Not saying that's all your friendships were based on, only thinking of personal experiences where there would be certain friends I would only hang out with at parties or in clubs and now that I don't go to either, well... the one common interest that held us together is gone so they're pretty much just acquaintances now.

And since I went vegan.. well, it can be upsetting when your friends don't have the same epiphany as you and make the same changes. I noticed since I made the change that 90% of the time all I would want to talk about is animal rights but not everyone cared to discuss/debate things with me. So I only save those topics for the few friends who are willing to listen and also this forum.

Although in my case, social anxiety played a big part as well with the whole losing contact with people. BUT if that wasn't an issue for me, I would look up local vegan groups that meet up in my city, join facebook groups, make more friends who have common interests and all that jazz.

Can I ask what kind of a teacher you are? :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had three very close friends my whole life since elementary school. When I started becoming visibly unconfortable around meat when we made dinner plans, they started making plans without me behind my back. When I found out, I became upset and when I called them out on it and became quite emotional, they looked at me with horrified looks on their faces like I'd just sprouted horns and wielded a trydant. Now we don't talk anymore. It was one of the hardest things I've gone through, losing my friends. And now I'm going through something similar with my extended family. So here I am now, suffering from depression for feeling so alone and rejected and isolating myself since I assume the moment I show discomfort for being around meat people are going to turn on me. Haha...sorry for being such a bummer :(

There is a lot more to that story, so don't despair and think your luck is going to be as crappy as mine. I think the trick is (though I'm clearly no expert) is to try and find ways to see family and friends in situations that don't involve food. Sorry I'm not any more help. I wish you best of luck!! And eventually you will probably develop a new circle of friends that make you feel comfortable. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
People communicate about things relative to common interest. -also- Birds of a feather flock together. And there aren't many vegans. Many people live for their indulgences, the less that you wish to partake, the less there may be to relate to. Many people smoke cigarettes for that reason of having something in common to relate to others about (sharing a smoke) Alcohol helps people socialize. (when drunk, being friendly gets easier). Barbecue is a social gathering thing. ... eating at restaurants also. So the less bad habits, the less we have to relate to others about. Not many people care about the health or moral aspects of eating good.
But lack of individuality strength - lack of ability to enjoy one's own company, is a major reason why we become influenced into bad habits and behavior.
Common behavior is often a bad influence on eating really well.
If we get really strong to where we aren't detoured by others, and overcome our discriminating attitude, then we can socialize without it affecting our direction (if we want to). That isn't easy, and there is a whole, whole lot to learn about that. Truth is, many vegetarians and vegans fail at this quite miserably. Not to say that I don't fail at it often myself. I have to have my alone time or my disgust and critical views will get expressed quite viciously. I enjoy the communicating with nature more than people.
The process of adjusting to such (vegan and other) personal changes can be a long and often hard one but such a good thing to be doing.

·
Banned
147 Posts
I think it's ore likely you are just living an adult lifestyle now. Working, getting up, dealing with job stress, paying bills- it all adds up to lots of times you just want to come home and relax and have some quiet time.

Real life is a lot different than college. I'll bet your college buddies are experiencing the same thing. It's an adjustment. Eventually you'll find some friends that are on the same wavelength.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts