VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yowza.

Quote:
Commuters into London, UK who drive an SUV or a sport or luxury car will face a daily $47 congestion tax beginning in 2009.

London, UK Mayor Ken Livingstone announced today that he will use his congestion tax program to discourage sport utility vehicles or "Chelsea Tractors" by charging owners £25 (US $47) every time they enter the city during peak travel periods, beginning in 2009. The move also affects owners of sports cars like the Porsche 911 and luxury cars like the Roll-Royce Phantom, Jaguar X-Type and BMW 335i. Livingstone will also eliminate for owners of affected vehicles the 90 percent congestion charge discount previously given to all local residents.
Full story...

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/14/1444.asp

One article I read said that a daily trip into town to drop off the kids at school would cost over $12,000 per year!

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Excellent news. I'm pretty sure the Londoners will support him. I hope many cities will follow. (I don't know how many Hummers there are in the UK, but I do hope he will charge them 1000 pounds per entry.)

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
There are actually several other stiffer-penalty bills being batted around, but I'm not sure that they will pass.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
So, wouldn't this just encourage the rich to buy a second "prole" car for such errands? Like a Mini-Cooper or something? If you can afford a Porsche or Rolls, isn't it likely you can also afford a second, smaller car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts