VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about a challenge. I tell ya in most restaurants even the vegetables are meat dishes. It seems like everything here is cooked with some sort of animal fat product. Butter, milk, cheese, fat back, bacon, ham, broth ... you name it they put it on vegetables.

I like living up here but wow.

And apparently the commercial breeding, raising and slaughter of chickens is a very big industry in our area. Every week we drive past dozens of warehouses and pass a few more trucks on the road loaded up with cages filled with cramped, terrified and frankly, quite sickly looking chickens.

I'd slipped off the "wagon" after having surgery last year ... but moving up here is definitely going to help me get back to vegetarian eating.

Passing one of those death trucks encouraged me to drive 40 miles to the nearest health food store to check it out. Next week we check out the other one.

Our society (at large) makes it easy to disconnect and forget where the food on our plate actually comes from. I managed to push it aside to appease my omni-hubby and for the convenience. But not any more. I can't stop seeing those damned trucks. But I can at least know that those poor birds are not bound for my plate.

It isn't anything huge ... but it's a step toward starting over ... again.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It's a big industry where I live on the Eastern Shore as well, home of Perdue and we also have Mountaineer. I see them in the trucks in the freezing cold, most already dead, in the heat of the summer and occassionally on the side of the roads (dead).

Regarding the food issues. Whereas, I am fairly certain I have more processed food choices then your location. I'm not a big fan of letting other people touch my food, so I don't eat out too much anyway. The produce section is my friend, and I don't consume many processed foods. You can do, I have faith!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

When I lived near Tampa I thought I lived in a "backwards" minor city. Little did I know how good I had it. We had two pure vegetarian (though not vegan) Indian restaurants. And a slew of Asian restaurants that had a lot of vegetarian and vegan options. Not to mention several health food stores. A Wild Oats. And my favourite place to dine with omnis - Sweet Tomatoes.

Would you believe there isn't a single Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation anywhere in the entire state of Alabama. And most restaurants here a salad bar is iceburg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, carrots, broccoli and 5 or 6 mayo slathered "salads" and a slew of milk/mayo based dressings.

I'll live - but I sure do miss being able to eat out.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Can you buy food directly from farmers? Do you have many produce stands set up by the road, like I frequently see in Ohio? As much as it stinks to make all your own food, that may be your best option. It'll save money, too.

I wouldn't be keen on driving 40 miles to buy specialty foods unless I had some other reason to want to drive that far. That's a lot of gasoline to use on a few products that are better for the environment, and I wouldn't want that impact cancelled out.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Can you buy food directly from farmers? Do you have many produce stands set up by the road, like I frequently see in Ohio? As much as it stinks to make all your own food, that may be your best option. It'll save money, too.

I wouldn't be keen on driving 40 miles to buy specialty foods unless I had some other reason to want to drive that far. That's a lot of gasoline to use on a few products that are better for the environment, and I wouldn't want that impact cancelled out.
Even to buy food from the organic co-op in my area I have to drive 35 to 40 miles one way to pick up my order. I've moved to the boonies and the local grocery store really blows. So while I won't, on a regular basis drive 40 miles just to pick up a few things, I will be planning trips (probably on a day I'm heading into the "city" to run other errands) where I buy frozen items and non-perishable items to stock up for a month (or more).

I never realized how "urban" Tampa was. Not until I got here at any rate.

I usually cook at home. But every once in a while it is nice to eat out. I'm going to miss the easy access to ethnic restaurants and places where it is relatively simple to eat a vegetarian meal out (at least one that doesn't consist of side dishes).

Again though - I'll live. I'll just miss it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

Good luck, MrsKey. Too many places in the South are that way, unfortunately. If you live near a larger city, you might have a health food store and an ethnic grocery or restaurant or two, though.

I'm not sure where in AL you are, but this might help:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...ama/index.html
happycow.net is where I found the one store that I went to. But it's pretty sad when the entire state has so few listings.

Of course most of my neighbours have the heads of poor dead animals hanging on their walls. It's really sick.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

happycow.net is where I found the one store that I went to. But it's pretty sad when the entire state has so few listings.

Of course most of my neighbours have the heads of poor dead animals hanging on their walls. It's really sick.
I can relate. I'm from Utah and even my dad has dead animals on the walls. At least where I lived, there were health food stores around and restaurants that at least understood the concept of vegetarian (though not vegan) food. The only vegetarian restaurants are in Salt Lake City.

If I ever move back home, I'm going to miss the veg-friendliness of Massachusetts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi...have you tried looking on line? Food Fight Grocery is a vegan store and they ship. I ordered from them once, that was before I found stores around me. They have everything: fake meat, vegan cheese, taco filling, sloppy joes, "ribs", vegan candy and baked goods. And the prices are more than reasonable. Its worth checking out...here is the link

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/index.html

or www.foodfightgrocery.com and at the top left hand side hit the scroll bar and select: SHOP!!!

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks vegi-butterfly!

I'm going to have to find a good place to order some things (like nutritional yeast). So I'll be checking that out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We lived in Birmingham, AL for about 1 month while evacuated (Katrina). There was one nice vegetarian restaurant (something Buddha at 5 corners). Also, there was a very small place out on 220 or whatever big road that Summit Mall was on. Don't remember the name...sorry. I'll see if I can find it, but I don't know how far from Birmingham you are.

t.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaviola View Post

We lived in Birmingham, AL for about 1 month while evacuated (Katrina). There was one nice vegetarian restaurant (something Buddha at 5 corners). Also, there was a very small place out on 220 or whatever big road that Summit Mall was on. Don't remember the name...sorry. I'll see if I can find it, but I don't know how far from Birmingham you are.

t.
We're about an hour north of Birmingham. We're closer to Huntsville than Bham.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts