VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So both of my kitties have respiratory issues. One also has a lot of sensitivities to food, dyes, etc. Lately she's been grooming bald patches due to a reaction and I can't figure out what she's reacting to. I'm beginning to suspect it's the litter, even though it's unscented and low dust. She gets itchy after using the box. So I'm trying to wean them off the box and train them to use the toilet!

I bought the Litter Kwitter kit and I started them on it today. Luckily their box is already right next to the toilet, so I went ahead and put the LK seat on the toilet and showed them both where it was, dug with their paws, etc. They seem intrigued, luckily, and not scared to be up there at all.

Here's the problem - My little tuxedo girl, Chloe, doesn't tend to squat very low when she uses the box, esp when peeing. I was elated that she used the LK within the first hour of me putting it on the toilet, but dismayed that she totally overshot the small litter area and peed on the seat and the floor.
I've tried "showing" her how to position herself by gently arranging her paws and pressing her bum lower, but she doesn't want me near her when she's "going" and I don't want to pressure her or turn her off of the LK.

Has anyone used Litter Kwitter? Any suggestions for how to get her to squat properly? Should I just give it time and hope that she adjusts her position? I really want this to work, since it would mean NO MORE LITTER BOX
and, most importantly, zero dust or allergens for my girls
. I'm totally willing to wait this out and put in the extra work to make it happen - if I have to clean overshot pee off the floor/seat a few times a day in return for an eventual freedom from litter, I'm willing to do so. It'll save me TONS of money in the long run, not to mention the saved time and effort of cleaning the box twice a day.

Any suggestions? Any overall tips for transitioning the girls to using the people toilet? Anyone used LK with success?

Thanks!
Red

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone not familiar with Litter Kwitter, here's their site: http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php

They claim that you can train any cat to use the toilet, litter free, in 8 weeks or less. I've read a lot of outside reviews and it seems like it DOES work for a lot of people. I'm really hoping it works for my girls - not having to deal with litter would be AMAZING!

·
Registered
468 Posts
lol if you find a way to train your cat to aim better I definitely want to know! I had a huge litterbox, and I put a huge plastic storage case under it (one of those that goes under the bed to store wrapping paper etc) and she would still pee in her litterbox and pee over the edge of both. I gave up and got a top-entry only litterbox which works great.

I don't think my cat would go for the litter kwitter, nor does she have the forementioned aim necessary.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just ordered this product and although I'm not sure if it'll work (my cats are kinda lazy when it comes to 'learning' things lol) I'm really hopeful! I mean, no more litterbox to change? No more smell? No more little bits of litter scattered all around the house and getting into the carpet? No More SMELL?! YES PLEASE!! lol I've got two little kitties (actually they're very big kitties), one male who's...oh my gosh, he's already over 4 years old! Time flies :p And then one female kitty who's going to be two years old this Easter.

I don't think they'll have any issues using it when it's on the floor, however I am a little nervous about moving it up onto the toliet. Our male cat jumps up on the toliet sometimes anyway because he likes playing with the water and drinking it (yeah...he thinks he's a doggy :p), but our female cat doesn't really jump up on things too often. So I'm curious how she'll do. I'll have to slide something over so they can walk up to the toliet instead of having to jump the full height.

But anyway, once it arrives and we start, I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and let you guys know how it's going!
How awesome would it be to not have a litter box anymore?

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
I have one who is easy to teach anything. I taught her to use the toilet. She used it to pee only, and pooped on the floor. She pooped in the toilet if I was in there with her while she was going, but she kind of snarled at me. I think she hated squatting over a bowl of water.

I now have the Cat Genie. Same result, so we have a litter box next to it. Not sure which cat it is though who avoids using it, and they have lots of territorial battles around the litter box rights, so I'm not sure that's not the real issue. :x

I like the Cat Genie better because it's in my basement, instead of having 1 bathroom set aside just for a cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts