VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I'm a stickler, but I want to scream when I hear someone give an analogy and then add "literally" when they really mean "figuratively." For example, in a radio interview yesterday, I heard someone say, "Will Chicago's rough and tumble defenders strip the game away, literally, with their penchant for causing fumbles?" (From the NPR transcript)

That's figurative, silly! He could have said "seriously" since that's what he probably meant. It appears people say "literally" when it's not what they mean to draw attention to a point they want to highlight.

Don't even get me started on "irregardless" and "I could care less."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
>>It appears people say "literally" when it's not what they mean to draw attention to a point they want to highlight.>>

I think it's funny.

"It was literally a trial by fire."

ebola
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,604 Posts
That drives me crazy too.

I also hate the misuse of the word "unique," as in "this dress is very, very unique." First of all, since unique means "one of a kind," it's impossible for something to be "very" unique. Plus, the item being referred to is usually one of many like it, so it's not unique at all. It seems a lot of people think "unique" means the same as "unusual."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,604 Posts
Oh, and "ironic." That one's always being misused, like in that Alanis Morisette song. Rain on your wedding day is not ironic! It's just bad luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
yes!! that is so annoying. i hear people say "funner". italso bugs me when people say "melk" instead of "milk". also, the over use of hyphens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
One of, the doctors, I transcribe, for overuses, commas. When he, dictates, he wants, them inserted, after every, other word, practically.


I leave them out if they don't belong there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
This one's understandable. I have a German exchange student staying with my family later this year. She wrote me an email that said that she was literally thrilled to bits when she found out she was coming to America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

it also bugs me when people say "melk" instead of "milk".
I heard that in a commercial the other day.

I think it's regional. My ex used to say melk & pellow. Drove me nuts.

Then again, he also used to say "woof" instead of "wolf"...
HELLOOO you're 30 years old, not 5. And he said quizzisential (instead of quintessential) and a few other things. I shall stop now, however. rise above...rise above...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,902 Posts
I don't like use of disinterested when one really means uninterested.

Another common one in writing is loose instead of lose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I can't help but think I've inspired this thread. I use the term "literally" quite a bit, though I try to use it in the right context.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't. Now, maybe you're one of the undefined people at the back of my mind I'd noticed doing this, but what tipped me over the edge was the radio broadcast yesterday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Oh, and "ironic." That one's always being misused, like in that Alanis Morisette song. Rain on your wedding day is not ironic! It's just bad luck!
exactly! It's just sucky!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
I hate when people say "I could care less" when they mean "couldn't"

I HAAAAAAAAAAATE when people use the wrong form of there, their they're and your you're. ERRRRG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Perhaps I'm a stickler, but I want to scream when I hear someone give an analogy and then add "literally" when they really mean "figuratively." For example, in a radio interview yesterday, I heard someone say, "Will Chicago's rough and tumble defenders strip the game away, literally, with their penchant for causing fumbles?" (From the NPR transcript)

That's figurative, silly! He could have said "seriously" since that's what he probably meant. It appears people say "literally" when it's not what they mean to draw attention to a point they want to highlight.

Don't even get me started on "irregardless" and "I could care less."
I generally avoid saying literally, just out of fear that I will use it wrong. I was watching something on TV the other day, and there was girl who said "I am literally the black sheep of my family." What??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,591 Posts
I also hate "enthused". There's no such word!! It's "enthusiastic" !!

I literally could care less about "there" and "their"... literally.
 
1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Top