VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, these might be silly questions, but, I'm curious.

First off, what's the difference between lite tofu and regular tofu? I mean, I know the lite version has less calories and fat, but, how is it done? Are there fillers?

Second, what is the difference between a regular flour and a pastry flour? I try to only use whole grains. I see recipes using whole wheat pastry flour. Is this just whole wheat flour that has been ground extra fine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, these might be silly questions, but, I'm curious.

First off, what's the difference between lite tofu and regular tofu? I mean, I know the lite version has less calories and fat, but, how is it done? Are there fillers?

Second, what is the difference between a regular flour and a pastry flour? I try to only use whole grains. I see recipes using whole wheat pastry flour. Is this just whole wheat flour that has been ground extra fine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good questions Rie. I am not sure about light tofu, like you I know it is lower in fat but that is all I know.

As to regular and pastry flour, this I know. It has to do with the amount of gluten in the wheat. Different varieties of wheat have different percentages of gluten. A high percentage of gluten makes a tender bread. In fact kneading bread dough develops the gluten and the more kneading that is done to bread dough the better the finished loaf, and this is especially true with whole-wheat flour, the better and tenderer the bread will be. Pastry flour has a lower gluten percentage. It is used for baked goods that will not be kneaded and must be flaky rather then doughy. You do not want to develop the gluten in things like pie dough, pancakes or biscuits. These are where you would use pastry flour.

Other things, muffins (which are close to pancakes), gravies, cookies etc can use either. It has nothing to do with how finely the grain is ground though pastry flour tends to be finer ground then bread or regular flour is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like the lite tofu, it doesn't hold together as good as full fat, but I have still used it succesfully in stir fries and as tofu chicken nuggets.

Shannon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts