VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see who might be interested in an online Linux User Group for beginners day. The focus would be to help people install Linux for fun or profit

I would imagine it could be done via group phone conference, chat, or voice/video chat on an upcoming weekend?

Now's your chance - speak up if you want that dual-boot Linux/Windows machine, or perhaps you have an aging computer that could use a second life? Don't want to mess with hardware? How about a virtual Linux installation on your existing computer?

Any installation volunteers? Any suggestions as to distribution (was thinking Ubuntu)? Any general suggestions?

--

Update: Ubuntu 7.04 has been released.

A dual-boot example:

I'm installing 7.04 onto a friends aging laptop that currently sports only Win XP.

Methodology

1. Make an image of his current drive to an USB drive. This isn't necessary, but if everything goes wrong, I can restore the computer to the original state. I use Ghost, but there are free alternatives including dd under linux, or this:

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

2. Resize the 20GB Windows partition to 10GB. I'm using partition magic, but there are free options to do this; the 'parted' suite of tools under linux, for example.

3. Install from the Ubuntu CD to the free area.

Note about bootloaders - I tend to use the bootloader from linux, in this case grub. You can, however, use a third party bootloader (I've had good experience with Gag), or even the NT bootloader.

4. Tweak as needed. At minimum, I enable the Universe and Multiverse repositories, load Java, load some codecs, maybe some fonts.

That's the mile high view. I'd love to hear which tools or methods others are using.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I'm planning to set my current system up to dual boot. I'm not sure that a video conference would work, we all live in different regions of the world and have a huge variety of lifestyles. Why not a thread dedicated to suggestions, and questions and answers?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Hrmmmm..... I don't actually want a virtual Linux box on my Windows desktop. I just want to swap over to Linux, run most non-Linux programs under WINE, and just have the dual boot to Windows option there for the few programs that get buggy and recalcitrant under WINE. Basically, I just want to swap to Linux on this machine but not burn my bridges with Windows.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You might want to consider it anyways at first. It's an easy way to run multiple flavors of *nix simultaneously (there's over 1000 that seem to work) to see what you like, and it's free.

I use it mainly for legacy windows stuff that won't run properly, or at all, on XP and it works like a charm.

eta - by simultaneous, I mean you can actually run several OSes at the same time. I run mine on a dual monitor setup, so each OS gets it's own screen and I can work back and forth on a project, using the legacy software at the same time I'm using XP without having to reboot. You could do the same thing with linux, running different versions side by side in real time.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Oh... I'll definitely read more about that idea Red, definitely something up for consideration.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great idea - I'd be up for a linux installer thread as well.

I don't know how much experience you have with the dual-boot setup, but I can tell you I've done dozens with many combinations of OS and partition mixtures. My work laptop is always at least a dual-boot. Have a ton of experience with virtual machines as well - great way get your feet wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I'm planning to set my current system up to dual boot. I'm not sure that a video conference would work, we all live in different regions of the world and have a huge variety of lifestyles. Why not a thread dedicated to suggestions, and questions and answers?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Only once, and that was a few years back. Do you find a preference for one or the other, VeggieFrank? (That is, true dual-bool VS virtual machine). I've only ever had a system that dual booted, the closest I've come to fiddling with virtual machines is DOSbox and I'm not quite sure that's the same thing at all!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
preference for me has always been according to purpose. for myself, virtual machines are fantastic for testing and simulating computer environments. i don't like to run them as a "primary" os due to the loss of resources and incomplete hardware emulation (i.e., limited layer 1&2 emulation, no 3-d graphics.)

for real-life use, i don't mind rebooting. one notable exception - i usually run quickbooks via virtualization; guess i can't be bothered to reboot for that one.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:

I've only ever had a system that dual booted, the closest I've come to fiddling with virtual machines is DOSbox and I'm not quite sure that's the same thing at all!
Yeah, DOSBox is an emulator, not a virtual machine. It is a very nice emulator, though.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Hence my tongue smilie.
But yes, DOSBox is a very nice little program.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hmm, when's the next stable release due? I need to get rid of Suse, which I'm not terribly pleased with, before I add another OS. Dapper Drake may have been a bit screwy in the internet department (ipv6 etc.) but at least it recognised and remembered my hardware...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
next release of ubuntu? right around the corner, mid april if i remember correctly. if that's the distro people are interested in, it'd be worth the wait. beta testers are proclaiming much easier wifi configuration, for example.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If interested, I think Kiz' idea of an installation thread is probably the most manageable.

Some people in the Ubuntu thread appeared willing to help out with questions.

A dual-boot example:

I'm installing 7.04 onto a friends aging laptop that currently sports only Win XP.

Methodology

1. Make an image of his current drive to an USB drive. This isn't necessary, but if everything goes wrong, I can restore the computer to the original state. I use Ghost, but there are free alternatives including dd under linux, or this:

2. Resize the 20GB Windows partition to 10GB. I'm using partition magic, but there are free options to do this; the 'parted' suite of tools under linux, for example.

Note about bootloaders - I tend to use the bootloader from linux, in this case grub. You can, however, use a third party bootloader (I've had good experience with Gag), or even the NT bootloader.

4. Tweak as needed. At minimum, I enable the Universe and Multiverse repositories, load Java, load some codecs, maybe some fonts.

That's the mile high view. I'd love to hear which tools or methods others are using.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I wanna be part of this eventually (having whatever pinch of salt to hand until verified time gets me a grip again), as I don't know that NOW in relative terms is the right time for me due to me going away for a bit of the Summer and needing to plan for that... but I will keep my focus on this as much as I can. Thanks to all involved....

Now, retrovert back to the now in relative terms again, and I have a man I need to introduce you all too if he will okay me to make him known to you, and he is so into this stuff, he even talks of things BEYOND Linux like I saw him do the other day...

(NOT AT ALL to undermine what is going on in this thread btw
)
He's a busy man, BUT ALAS -he's also a Sailor in his leisure time (making him an all the more interesting man!!!)

.......so, Ci, the guy is not all stuck up in a mess of wires constantly with no view of the outside world... Indeed the man I speak of is very aware of the fact many more people need to use LINUX and be encouraged to use it, **and/and/and** as I mention things about suppositioning new technologies at the frontier even "BEYOND Linux" too indeed, of existing/future OS sorts and kinds and technology *apparently already here* btw, unless my vague UpToSpeed awareness is off key and distorted? !!! but anyway, a future for our PC's or not PC, either way one chooses etc

Thx for hearing my message, and lookout for update on what information and help I maybe able to obtain for us all here vs where the man bases himself at Care2.com
(or at least he hangs out there as I do and thats how I know him, to the extent of years. Although me and the guy have not been closely in contact during most that time, BUT I am seeing whether it is possible to speak to him in chat using Care2.com IM, and however possible.....)

K, I'll disposition myself now in readiness for going on my break (to Paris btw), and seeya ahead of time... (or in the interim I might check here again, of a few weeks withstanding, bla bla).....

Anyway~ Bon Voyage, Happy Installation and hello to Future Talks for exploring more between us all in this thread.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

Some people in the Ubuntu thread appeared willing to help out with questions.

A dual-boot example:

Methodology

I have two hard disks installed already. One will be for Linux. One will be for Windows. On booting BIOS prompts you to choose which operation system to go with. I've used something like this before and it works very well.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

You might want to consider it anyways at first. It's an easy way to run multiple flavors of *nix simultaneously (there's over 1000 that seem to work) to see what you like, and it's free.

I use it mainly for legacy windows stuff that won't run properly, or at all, on XP and it works like a charm.

eta - by simultaneous, I mean you can actually run several OSes at the same time. I run mine on a dual monitor setup, so each OS gets it's own screen and I can work back and forth on a project, using the legacy software at the same time I'm using XP without having to reboot. You could do the same thing with linux, running different versions side by side in real time.
Cool, thanx Red I wanna try some of that methodology.....lol. (Seriously)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the bios has a bootloader? nice! i haven't run across that yet. is it an efi firmware?

Quote:

I have two hard disks installed already. One will be for Linux. One will be for Windows. On booting BIOS prompts you to choose which operation system to go with. I've used something like this before and it works very well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts