VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked Smart Dogs the best out of the fake hot dogs, and I noticed at the store yesterday that they have a new "grill ready" version. After running through the ingredient list, I saw that the new version has egg whites in it. the original ones have always been vegan, so I just wanted to mention this in case any vegans just picked them up expecting the same ol' Smart Dogs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I know, it does suck. We should all write and complain.

Tofurkey is coming out with Sausage that is vegan

Saw it in the latest VT
I can hardly wait

Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That sucks about Smart Dogs, I always buy them. If I had seen the Grill ready ones, I might have thought they were vegan too.

I was at Trader Joes this week and they had Earth Balace in sticks. I picked up the pack, read the ingredients, and thew them in my cart. My mother-in-law saw them too, read the ingredients, and I MISSED reading whey! Good thing she read them better then I did! I was pissed that Earth balace in the tub is vegan, why can't the sticks be too? It would be so much easier to measure when baking. I guess I'll have to complain.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

That sucks about Smart Dogs, I always buy them. If I had seen the Grill ready ones, I might have thought they were vegan too.

I was at Trader Joes this week and they had Earth Balace in sticks. I picked up the pack, read the ingredients, and thew them in my cart. My mother-in-law saw them too, read the ingredients, and I MISSED reading whey! Good thing she read them better then I did! I was pissed that Earth balace in the tub is vegan, why can't the sticks be too? It would be so much easier to measure when baking. I guess I'll have to complain.
When I first saw the EB sticks I got so excited and almost didn't bother reading the ingredients since I was certain they must be vegan....but good thing I double checked. Like you said, why can't both kinds be vegan? The shortening sticks they make, however, are vegan. Same thing with the new kind of Smart Dogs....I almost bought them assuming they were vegan. I thought that all of Lightlife products were vegan. It's annoying that you always have to double check ingredients...we can't have much faith in companies anymore it seems.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eeek!
I didn't know that the sticks of Earth Balance wern't vegan! I'm glad that I haven't tried them yet, because I probably wouldn't have looked ( too much faith in the company, apparently) What a shame they didn't just use the original recipe of the tub version.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by missleigh

What a shame they didn't just use the original recipe of the tub version.
I know, since it sure seems like the stuff in the tub is firm enough to shape into sticks. Makes no sense to me....

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I discovered this today. The guy working at the grocery store had just put a little sign up with the sale price, so I got excited that I was going to be saving money. There were two types of grill ready dogs and none of the original. I picked up a pack of each and was incredibly disappointed to see eggs in the ingredients of both.

Then I came home and saw this thread.

Atleast I have people to be bummed with me.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I stopped buying Willow Run a while ago, because I'm trying to limit hydrogenated oils. My husband was mad, he really liked the Willow Run, but for the health aspects, I'd rather buy a non-hydrogenated brand. I do though still buy Tofuttii Cream Cheese and Sour Supreme sometimes!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The sticks of Fleischmann's are vegan, but the tubs of their new unhydrogenated, reduced-calorie margarine is not (D3). I complained politely to Lever Corp. though. Heck, I want it all, good taste, no trans-fats, low-cal. Maybe I should just use paste.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I'm not vegan but haven't eaten meat for 17 days now..Whoohoooo. Not sure at what point you call yourself a vegetarian but I'm workin on it. I just had to say I tried the smart dogs last night and it actually tasted like a hot dog. So thumbs up to the smart dogs!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
aw, I was so excited to say that I grilled the regular smart dogs just fine but I just now remembered that that night, I'd put them down to buy Morningstarfarms' hot dogs instead.

I've George Foreman grilled smart dogs before and they did well though!

·
Registered
435 Posts
litelife smart dogs are the best. If you check the nutritional information they're really like, ridiculously healthy, like way better than other veggie dog brands (morningstar, tofuturky, etc.)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well, that sucks. I like Smart Dogs the best, too. I was never a hot dog fan as an omni, but I've developed a taste for them as a veg*n (go figure).

I'll just stick with the ones I normally buy, but it bothers me that they'd make the new version non-vegan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never eaten them because they don't sell them in Quebec. But thanks for letting me know in case I found them somewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.