VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions of this: I planted a type of red leaf lettuce in a container last summer and it grew well. I added it to my salads all summer. In the fall I emptied the container and discarded the plant. Today I was working on my garden and I noticed that in the crack between my patio stones and the house, right where the container with the lettuce grew last year, there is a plant growing that appears to be the lettuce! Does lettuce reseed or could a root have grown out of the bottom of the container and survived all winter?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Lettuce does reseed. If the plant grew tall (about 2-3 feet) and you left it alone (it would have been very bitter at that point) it could have reseeded itself. I do not think that lettuce grows from rootlets being a tap-root plant. Arent the gifts of nature grand?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
If the lettuce went to seed, you would have seen the flowers, and seeds.

It seems possible, but unlikely, that some root tissue insinutated itself outside the bottom of the container, started a new plant by vegetative reproduction, and survived the winter. Depends on the temp. Lettuce tends to die rapidly below 32 deg F. If you had a very mild winter where the soil on the patio never got below 32 deg F, a piece of root might have sprouted, maybe, but seems unlikely. I think that generally only large sections of main tap root and stem will regrow. Not little pieces of root. When they regrow, they usually produce a diminutive plant-top, not a normal full-sized lettuce plant top like that which would grow inititally from seed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thanks for your help. I guess it must have reseeded. I'm going to see if I can dig it up from the crack and plant it with my tomato plants. I already have another lettuce growing there. If it grows I'll be able to make great salads!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.