VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually bring my (slow cook) oatmeal to school with me and nuke it in between my classes for breakfast/lunch. The way it normally goes is one container contains my rice milk, the other contains my oatmeal/seasoning, and then I add the two and microwave. Would it turn out really gross if I just put the oatmeal and rice milk in the same container in the morning but didn't heat it until lunch time? I guess I'm wondering how much of it would absorb before I heated it, and whether it would become wall paper paste. It would just be easier to have everything in one and stick the whole thing in the microwave.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Is it possible for you to actually cook it at home, and then take it with you in a container and nuke it? It's what I do for work and it's always fine. I make a big batch then take a portion of it every day in a smaller container. A lot of times it thickens up a bit but I'm able to add a little water or soy creamer to it at that point. If you are not able to add to it you can make it a bit more liquidy initially because it will most likely thicken up as it sits anyway.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Is it possible for you to actually cook it at home, and then take it with you in a container and nuke it? It's what I do for work and it's always fine. I make a big batch then take a portion of it every day in a smaller container. A lot of times it thickens up a bit but I'm able to add a little water or soy creamer to it at that point. If you are not able to add to it you can make it a bit more liquidy initially because it will most likely thicken up as it sits anyway.
That's a good idea! I heard instant oatmeal raises the blood sugar way faster than regular. Plus, slow cook is way cheaper.

As for the letting it sit first, I have my doubts that it would turn out. I say, experiment at home first.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've added boiling water to oatmeal at night before, let sit overnight, and then added a bit of extra water/milk in the morning, reheated, voila! Works great.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I wouldn't let it sit at room temperature that long, bacteria can grow in moist grains pretty quickly, they're considered a high risk food by the health dept.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I heard instant oatmeal raises the blood sugar way faster than regular...
Interesting. I wonder what the reason is for that? (I personally like only the instant stuff so I'm curious...)

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

I wouldn't let it sit at room temperature that long, bacteria can grow in moist grains pretty quickly, they're considered a high risk food by the health dept.
I wasn't going to let it sit at room temperature. I was going to put it in my insulated bag with my ice thinger, same as I do when I bring the milk seperate. It's only for 3 hrs anyway, so I doubt I'd die from 3 hr room temp rice milk.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Oh mercy.

I leave rice and other cooked grains out longer than 3 hours all the time. More like 6+ hours.

It's the only way I currently have to bring anything edible to work. I've never gotten sick from doing so, but I guess people might have different reactions so don't yell at me if this doesn't work for you

Nothing I cook has any animal or dairy products so it's less likely to develop bacteria as quickly I'm hoping, too.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Bacillus cereus is what typically grows in rice and grains, it is possible to build an immunity to it, so you probably got sick a few times and now don't have to worry about it. It's not serious, just general gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, loose stools, etc. Like most food poisioning it has a incubation period of 1+days so it's easy to associate getting sick with some other food.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some mornings before I leave I put some uncooked regular oats in a bowl, pour over an equal amount of liquid, usually rice milk with some water and take it just like that. Its been really cold out and I walk a few miles in the cold, so when it sits for three hours it doesnt even make it up to room temperature. Ive never had a problem with and I dont even heat it up later, I like it just soaked. When im home I sometimes soak it over night in the fridge and eat cold right out of the fridge in the morning. I've never had a problem with it. In the summer I use one of those icey thingies too and an insulated bag, and it kept just fine for me.by the three hours its usually almost completely soaked in, but not quite and very chewy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts