VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I plan on calling our veterinarian because my elderly mouse ladies have been going through some issues lately which are leading me to believe that it may be their time. They're nearly 3 years old. One has had dermatitis that has come and gone but lately, it's only stayed and gotten worse even with her topical medicine. She has been drawing blood with her scratching and I don't want her to live through it any longer. It's been a long, hard struggle. The other, I found out has a tumor inside her belly when I brought her in to have her claws trimmed. We decided to give her pain meds just in case. Now she's having trouble with her bowel movements. They seem to be getting stuck to her bottom and I've had to wipe/clear that area over the past couple days.

They're still eating/drinking, they love snuggling with each other and they're still active for their ages. I've cared for them since they were born and I'm having a REALLY difficult time coming to terms with this. I've been crying all morning. Their vet will most likely give me confirmation and I'll have to bring them in soon for euthanasia. I DO NOT like the idea that I'm making the choice to have them essentially killed but I suppose I should look at it as if I'm giving them a, hopefully, peaceful end. It's just so hard to make that decision when I see them snuggling with each other, when they enjoy receiving treats and getting little back rubs.

How do people cope with this decision?

Edit: They have a checkup today to confirm. Since we've had talks with their vet about declining health and euthanasia in the past, I have a feeling this is it. I've been spending extra time with my babies this morning, giving them extra treats, taking pictures and video.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
So sorry you're going through this. It sounds like your little critters have had a fantastic, long life that is now inevitably coming to an end. It sounds like you've done everything you can for them. Euthanasia is a very hard decision to make. Personally I try to look at it this way: after the fact when I look back, will I feel bad for making that decision? Or would I feel worse for letting them live longer with their condition, especially if it is a painful one? That's a decision you have to make, and I know how hard (so hard) it is.

Sending lots of love to you and your little critters *hugs*

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

They're still eating/drinking, they love snuggling with each other and they're still active for their ages. I've cared for them since they were born and I'm having a REALLY difficult time coming to terms with this. I've been crying all morning. Their vet will most likely give me confirmation and I'll have to bring them in soon for euthanasia. I DO NOT like the idea that I'm making the choice to have them essentially killed but I suppose I should look at it as if I'm giving them a, hopefully, peaceful end. It's just so hard to make that decision when I see them snuggling with each other, when they enjoy receiving treats and getting little back rubs.
How do people cope with this decision?
It's very sad.
xxx I had to have one of my cats euthanised last year as he wasn't responding to treatment. I made the decision and picked a date and then just spoiled him as much as I could in the few days before we took him to the vet. The vet was very kind and it seemed as though he didn't suffer when she euthanised him as it took just seconds and I was stroking him at the time.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sorry to hear about your baby.
Our vet confirmed that euthanasia would be the best decision for both of them. I was terrified when 'gassing' was mentioned but it was only to put them to sleep so they wouldn't have to feel or be traumatized by the injection. It was done very professionally and they were so sensitive to my situation. I was a sobbing mess but I'm glad I was there for them. Before they fell asleep, they snuggled close and Ooyoo groomed her sister one last time. It was so sad and sweet. They passed peacefully and I was glad for that. I was also allowed to hold them after their injections until they passed. I'm definitely going to give myself time to grieve, I already miss them very much. Thank you both very much for your support.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm so sorry. It's always going to be a tough decision to make; I've made the decision twice myself. It's the best thing to do when the alternative is needless pain and suffering. Three is a good age for mice and it sounds like they've had wonderful lives. I don't know what I'd do if I had animals still enjoying life, though. It's hard to decide between leaving it a bit longer to let them enjoy themselves a bit more and preventing them from having to suffer more. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be in the best interests of your mouse ladies since you're in the best position to know what that is. You just have to know that what you choose for them is for the best and focus on that and on the fact that you gave them the best possible lives.

ETA: Didn't see your latest post before I posted. It sounds like a peaceful end. I hope you are dealing with it as well as can be expected.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It never gets easier to lose a beloved pet. You did the right, unselfish, loving thing. I'm sending my good thoughts and hugs your way.

Laura

·
Registered
81 Posts
I totally teered up reading this. Sending comforting vibes your way. I've had to put one of my kitties down when he got sick and it was one of the hardest things to go through. It sounds like they had a great life though and a loveing and caring mommy. (((hugs)))

Audrey

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for your support, everyone, and I'm really sorry to hear about all of your babies that have passed. It is a tough process to go through but I suppose we can't expect them to live forever.
I've been coping okay. When I really miss them, I look at pictures and video and remember that their lives were good. My baby boys (rats and mice) are keeping me distracted as well. Again, I really appreciated all the responses. It's good to get it all out and share with those that are understanding and supportive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.