VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my favorite time of year for either one, and the heartier the better!

I have lots of fav's, but I'm going to start making this one in a few minutes, it's a sweet potato, carrot, apple soup http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-P...up/Detail.aspx

BTW- didn't use butter- just cooked in some water to basically steam the veggies first. Also didn't puree it at the end, but left it whole.

Please post away,and add some pics too!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Split Pea Soup

I make this just about every week:

1 Onion chopped
2-3 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp curry powder (I prefer hot)
1 1/2 cup dried split peas
5 Cups veggie broth (I just use veggie bullion and water)

Saute onions (with a little water for low-fat) for 4-5 min, add garlic and continue for another few minutes.
Add peas, broth and curry, simmer for 45-50 min until peas soft.
Whip up with a stick blender, sprinkle pepper on to taste.

I'll make it tonight and add a picture if I remember.

Edit to add picture:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'll look up my recipes for my potato soup and my black bean soup which are also favorites of mine, but I don't cook them quite as often so I'll screw up the recipes for sure without consulting my notes.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Chopped Onions
Curry powder/chili powder/garam masala
Garlic
Cooked Lentils
Crushed tomatoes
Broth

Add spices and onions to hot oil/cook until soft
Toss in garlic and continue until the onions have gained some color

the lentils and stir them around until they have become warm and coated with the mixture.

Pour in tomatoes/and broth until it has reached desired consistency
Simmer for as long as so you like.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Leek and potato soup is one of my favourite things ever.

This recipe is very approximate as I don't really do measurements and most of my meals are a bit random.

2 medium leeks chopped.
1 medium onion chopped.
A bit of crushed garlic (optional)
A few potatoes cut into chunks.
Oil or margarine.
Salt and pepper.
Stock or just boiling water is fine.
A little soya/oat/rice milk (optional).

Fry onions for a couple of minutes in the oil/marge.
Add crushed garlic if wanted.
Add leeks and fry for a little while longer.
Add chopped potatoes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add water/stock and simmer until potatoes are soft.
Squish some of the potatoes with a spoon.
Add a little vegan milk if wanted.

Server with a crusty baguette or olive ciabatti.

It might end up looking something like this.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know chilis can be just thrown together, which is how I do mine, but Robin Robertson's Quick FIx Vegan book is awesome, and her chili is the best yet!

Smoky Chipotle-chocolate chili

1 T olive oil
1 onion
4 cloves garlic minced
2 T grated unsweetened chocolate (Baker's Brand)
2 T chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 14.5 oz fire roasted (or tex mex diced tomatoes)
1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 canned chipotle chilic in adobo sauce, minced
3 cups cooked black beans or 2 cans beans rinsed and drained
1 cup veg broth or water

Heat the oil (or water saute) in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 min. Stir in the chocolate and spices. Add the cans of tomatoes, and chiles- stir till well blended. Add the beans and broth and bring to a boil. Redce the heat to med-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occ, unitl the chili thickens and flavors developed, about 20-25 mintes. Taste and adjust the seasoning......ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I just made a sausage and bean stew the other day!

2 tofurkey sausage (or whatever type of sausage you like..but I used tofurkey beer sausage)
1 cup of dried bean soup mix
1 cup of frozen (or fresh) carrots, beans and peas
6 cups vegetable broth or water
Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.

Bring water/broth to boil. Cut sausages into medallions and fry in a tsp of oil. Put beans and veggies into broth, turn down to a simmer. Add sausages, and simmer for 1-2 hours. That's it! This makes a great crockpot recipe too, and I found the soup really nice the next day...something about overnight in the fridge turned it into a nice gravy that I've always missed!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that sounds good!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If I take back a cookbook I leant to my boyfriend I will share my favourite soup from it. It is a pasta and bean soup that I swear makes you feel better even when you are not sick!

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I normally just throw whatever I have in a pot and let it cook, so I don't really have any recipes to share, but I really like split pea and potato soups, so I'm happy I now have more recipes to try out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

the lentils and stir them around until they have become warm and coated with the mixture.
I laughed at that more than I should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

2 tofurkey sausage (or whatever type of sausage you like..but I used tofurkey beer sausage)

Bring water/broth to boil. Cut sausages into medallions and fry in a tsp of oil. Put beans and veggies into broth, turn down to a simmer. Add sausages, and simmer for 1-2 hours. That's it! This makes a great crockpot recipe too, and I found the soup really nice the next day...something about overnight in the fridge turned it into a nice gravy that I've always missed!
Huh, that sounds interesting. I don't really like vegan sausages, but I think I'll buy some just to make this recipe because it sounds really good.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
This time of year my favorite soup is whatever can be prepared in minutes and warm me up fastest. Thats how I invented my 'midnight soup'.
Put 2 cups of water on to boil
Toss in fist full of small whole wheat noodles
As the water heats cut a big carrot lengthwise, then into 1" chunks and chop up a fist full of cabbage, toss in soup.
Once boiling wait 2 minutes, warming yourself on the steam.
Remove from heat and proceed to start plucking out the carrot bits and blowing on them so you can eat them while the rest cools to below scalding.
Drink liquid, eat solids.

I originally flavored it with tamari sauce until I forgot to add it and discovered cabbage and carrots are fine by themselves.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Did someone mention bean stew?

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is probably my favourite stew ever: Vegie Sausage, Potato and Cavolo Nero Stew (or casserole). Whenever I make it there are NO leftovers

Then my favourite soup is Minestrone - you really can't go wrong. One of the best ones I made was this amazing Multigrain Minestrone - using lots of different grains in the place of the usual beans - it was sensational!

Here are some other favourites of mine:
Zucchini, Asparagus and Celery Seed Vegetable Soup (Celery seeds are a great source of calcium, so good for vegans)
Potato, Asparagus, Broad Bean and Red Lentils Soup
Spinachy Udon Noodle Soup (so quick to make and so delicious!)
Pumpkin, Leek and Garlic Soup (everybody loves Pumpkin soup - but this one adds extra warmth with all the garlic - perfect for winter)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ooooo, the pumpkin, leek and garlic soup sounds really good!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine is tomato bisque....almond milk makes up the cream portion and add a dash of red pepper for a slight kick....it's amazing!!!!!

Also I make a sweet potato soup again with almond or cashew milk as the cream and almond yogurt to give it a sour cream twist.

And finally I make a black bean soup heavy on the cumin and it's really hearty.

If you want I can post recipes. All made in my Vitamix

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts