• Yummmmmmmmmm, yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Urgh, nooooooooo!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's nutrionally void, having only trace amounts of fiber, protein, and other nutrients. I prefer Romaine or Spinach, since they taste better and are healthier.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I don't mind iceberg. Romaine has more flavour.. but lately it seems like the romaine lettuce around here in our grocery stores is ridiculously over-priced and really not in that great of shape. As of last Thursday, romaine here was nearly 2 bucks more than iceberg.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Iceburg is good in a taco salad because it doesn't get soggy. I don't think I've ever bought it for any other purpose, though. Yuck.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Iceberg... eh. It really is the bottom of the barrell when you're talking lettuce. I definitely prefer romaine for everyday salads. If I want something more exotic, I use arugula & raddichio. (sp?)

Iceberg lettuce reminds me of some really bad weddings I've been to... the ones where you sit down at the table and there's an iceberg lettuce salad in front of you doused in bottled ranch dressing and it looks like it's already been sitting there for an hour or so. *shudder*

The only thing I use iceberg for is sometimes I'll shred it for tacos. Just because it tends to be crispier.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I only eat iceberg lettuce when I'm at Blimpie's b/c that's all they have. I much prefer a mix of romaine, butter lettuce, radichio, arugala, curly endive, etc. etc. Besides, iceberg lettuce doesn't have all the nutrients of romaine et al.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also only eat iceberg lettuce when I'm at Subway because that's all they have.. or if I'm at someone else's house for a meal and that's what they use in their salad. I always reccommend green leaf lettuce or romaine to them though.

I always buy green leaf lettuce and spinach for use in my salads and sandwichs though. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value whatsoever..

·
Registered
811 Posts
I look at iceberg as simply another variety. I am not a big salad fan, but I do like iceberg if it is really cold and fresh and crisp. I also like a big hunk of iceberg on a sandwhich, again, if it is fresh. I also like all the other lettuces, except the curly kind - they are a little too much like parsley for my tastes.

I wouldn't want iceberg to be the only choice, and I really don't like the icebergs that they serve at many restaurants (including sub places). I hate it shredded.

There are a lot of things that I eat that are far worse than iceberg....potato chips, vegan junk food, etc. At least it has almost no calories, and can fill you up.

BTW, when I used to eat meat, I really wasn't a bologna fan, but if I DID have a bologna sandwhich it HAD to have iceberg!

·
Registered
811 Posts
BTW, I voted "uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm yes", as the only other choice seemed to indicate that I hate it. I would have rather been able to vote, "it's OK and it has it's place".

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't mind iceberg on tacos, in sandwiches and pitas, plus it's cheap, but we went with the organic romaine at the grocery store last night for all the above applications. It was $1.30 more for a head of organic romaine than non-organic iceberg, but it tastes better, and it's better for us.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts