VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I'm growing more and more interested about foreign culture and although mine (I'm French) isn't that different from, for example, North American culture, I'd be glad to get to know more people from all around the world (the limits are, I can only speak French, English, a bit of German and if I dare say, bases of Arabic).

So I was thinking, well, if any of you guys had a few minutes to lose while talking with me on MSN and maybe even helping me plan a few trips to America or elsewhere (as for the US I've already been to NYC, SF, LA, LV and er... that must be about it)... well feel free to PM me, or IM me, or answer me, or whatever.

Thanks a lot, hope to hear from you all (or maybe not, but you know) very soon!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

"encore une fois" = "one more time"

I'm learning Arabic at the university. I thought it'd be fun and it'd change, as I had been taking something like 6 years of German already. And it was a bit of a change indeed... but I'm not sure I really like it. The teacher is not really motivating and I don't know... it's too different from the languages I've looked into so far !

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
So howbout lets clarify, allbeit blanched in Arabic!!
this is a WorldWide Social Exchange thread and about practical commuting to that end, like another world is just a step away ? or non?

btw: I like German (bad ass / orderly language but no better than French for masculine and feminine applied language me thinks), ANYWAY, not that it matters greatly but may I say I'm kind of indifferent about french generally though, but at the same time I generally don't mind it, you see?

ETA: not flluent in either German or French but don't mind giving either a go, or for German, more than a GO !!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh but French is such a wonderfully complicated language ^^

Yeah I thought it'd be nice to get to know people from everywhere. Kind of like the "local" threads, only not, because it'd be mixed here. I mean, if I wanna meet French vegans, it's faster to just go to a French board. You know?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I suppose any language is complicated in its own way, but English is so cussedly inconsistent. I had 3 years of high school French, a long time ago, and it seemed to have rules of a sort, at least as far as spelling went. The idea of names for inanimate objects being masculine or feminine seemed pointless to me, though.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I grew up English, but then I moved to Montréal, and was bartending, so learned french pretty damn quick. I also married a french guy..

The thing about english, is just that we have so many words, the combinations are endless. I think the numbers are something like 75,000 words in French, and more than 1,000,000 in english. French is so structured, there really is only ONE correct way to say any given thing, whereas in english, you can say something any damn fool way you please, and it'll be acceptable.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

The idea of names for inanimate objects being masculine or feminine seemed pointless to me, though.
Pointless yes, but the ruleless 'rule' of the french allows them to make even inaminate objects sexy, regardless of the asexual nature of objects. (thats what I think must be so anyway, the French are sexy minded I guess, BUT I think maybe not at all gender obsessed necessarily in relation to genderism issues per se though, as I don't know about that) *shrug*

sooo Rahkoon? Do you know the answer to Toms question?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if it's pointless. I mean, it allows us to do a horrible lot of things. The same word can mean two different things, depending on the gender, for example une critique = a criticism, and un critique = a critic . And I don't know, it's just a different way to see things. To me it would be completely unthinkable that a chair would be neuter or masculine, when well, my little French spirit would go "but everyone knows it's feminine, it can't be anything else" type of thing.

The other reason why English has so many words is... well, at least, according to my translation teacher, half of the words in English come from French. You can say "give up" or "abandon" only "abandon" is a French word... so two times more words I guess ^^

Anyway, I gotta go !

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkoon View Post

To me it would be completely unthinkable that a chair would be neuter or masculine, when well, my little French spirit would go "but everyone knows it's feminine, it can't be anything else" type of thing.
All the chairs I know are masculine!

Of course there's a pointless side of objects being classified as feminine or masculine and the fact that it changes between different languages demonstrates it well. However, this is how some languages are, and there's more to it than just dividing the world to males and females.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, really? Did you ask them, or do they have any masculine attributes? ^^

Well I like that some things are masculine and some aren't. Probably just because I'm used to things being that way :p

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well Im norwegian so I understand swedish and danish too. And english. And I took french two years, but I dont know anything! Now Ive been having spanish a couple of years as well. French is beautiful, so is english, and spanish is kinda cool. I love swedish. Norwegian is ugly though, at least my dialect

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
REBOOT OF THREAD !!! Yay and three cheers for Rahkoon, people...

I wanna maybe hijack it a bit to ask about who is studying languages, as that is a good way of being social for the world of vegs to be one!

So who's first up ?? "Let's Socialize Here" ... (in Rahkoon's words!!) [attachment=6774:Super ecstatic.gif]

I'm studying GERMAN, FRENCH (rahkoon speak, lol) and some JAPANESE ! ...

[ie, priority for german and french as they are languages nearer to home for me]

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
For me, I tend to think of the gender-specific nouns this way:

There's no good reason why this or that thing is a feminine noun or masculine noun. It is fairly pointless. But, then, so is much of the masculine and feminine gender-roleing most societies do. If you can get someone to say, "No, I don't know why the book is masculine but the notebook is feminine," maybe you can lead them to the idea, "I don't know why that person with a penis is expected to act with these specific characteristics."

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkoon View Post

Hello everybody!

I'm growing more and more interested about foreign culture and although mine (I'm French) isn't that different from, for example, North American culture,
I was surprised to read this. Most people from Europe when they visit the United States feel they are landing on another planet. I also got a pretty big culture shock when I visited twice the United States.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts