VeggieBoards banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_D View Post

I'll try not to drag this out, but I have two rabbits Flopsy and Pip, with the former two or so years older, and both female. My sister owned both of them (not at the same time), but was forced to leave them here because she was moving from one apartment to another, and we thought it'd be best for them to have a garden to run around in. Anyway, they've been together now for a year and a half, maybe more. At first, Flopsy would chase Pip around quite aggressively. Yet they've gradually become more social, but still have the odd chase about. Anyway, recently they've been joined at the hip! They sit snuggled up like an old couple and also take turns to clean one another. Then today, whilst my father was stroking Flopsy, Pip came up behind her and mounted her intensely.

Is this quite natural? I assume it's because rabbits are quite temperamental and have high sex-drives?
then i guess they won't breed like bunnies?

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is totally normal for domestic rabbits to mount each other, whether male to male, male to female, female to female, or female to male. This usually happens a lot more before spay/neuter but still can be common with some altered rabbits. As long as the mountee is not being injured, it's ok. You also have to watch out for the humping the wrong end--many males get their genitals injured/severed because they hump the face of another rabbit and the one being mounted takes a bite.

Unaltered rabbits are also known to hump your leg, your cat, your slippers, your stuffed animals....

Your females should be spayed for health reasons--a very high percentage of female rabbits get uterine cancer once they hit about three years old.

(I'm one of those bunny rescue people who knows just about everything about rabbits : )

For info on lots of house bunny topics, check out the FAQs at the House Rabbit Society:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/index.html

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks, Amy. I think I have HRS' website bookmarked someplace, but might have lost it.

I'm making a point to spend more time with my two rabbits. They are left out in a room with the door blocked when I'm home when I can't keep an eye on them, but they do love to explore.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.