VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, right now I'm cooking lentils, but I have NO idea what to do with them. Halp?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't have lentils all that often, but when I do I usually put them in soup.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Soup or curries is what I do with mine. Lentils, spinach, onion, garlic and lots of spices with brown rice is so good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I make "honey" baked lentils and substitute molasses for the honey.

1c lentils
2c water
one small onion chopped
fresh ginger grated
minced garlic
2tbsp (or a bit more) tamari
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp molasses (or honey in the traditional recipe)

Mix together and bake around 1 1/2 hour covered tightly. Yum!

I usually use a bit more molasses, as well as tamari, than it calls for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I almost forgot, Mediterranean Lentils and Rice topped with carmelized onions. I don't have the recipe handy, Google has it though

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci View Post

I almost forgot, Mediterranean Lentils and Rice topped with carmelized onions. I don't have the recipe handy, Google has it though
That's what I meant with my post earlier.
. I lost the recipe, it was on my now dead computer.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Lentils are also awesome in tomato sauce for a vegetarian bolognese. Cook them partially, drain them, sautee them in olive oil with lots of garlic and basil, then get them simmering in your tomato puree. Amazing.
And have it over rice or pasta!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Lentil salad.
Cooked lentils, diced cucumber, pearl tomatoes, shredded carrot, scallions, and a nice lemon-garlic vinaigrette.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Soup or curries is what I do with mine.
This is what I usually do. Goodness gracious do I like lentils in Indian recipes.
Here's one I made a while ago. http://steamykitchen.com/10989-indian-dal-nirvana.html

I've also made lentil tacos that were pretty good (if somewhat unwieldy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

Peter Singer's dal recipe is pretty easy and good if you have the ingredients (although I like to put in more curry powder than he says).
a recipe from peter singer?? does it taste like utilitarianism and controversy?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
soups, lentil loaf is yummy, stuffing.

Peace

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I actually had lentil bolognese for dinner. It was delicious. Much better than its mince counterpart ever was.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Try making kofta/falafels out of lentils and have with middle eastern salad! Delish, I bought some lentil koftas from the supermarket last week. They were kind of like falafels.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Sloppy lentils, lentil chili, lentil/carrot salad, lentil tacos/burritos, lentils with soy sauce is also really good.
exactly sloppy lentils and lentil tacos are soooo yummmy!!

THink PEace, LIve PEace, BReathe Peace

·
Registered
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

a recipe from peter singer?? does it taste like utilitarianism and controversy?
The recipe is utilitarian but the taste is quite good... well, with maybe a hint of controversy... and a slight "I'm not totally comfortable with that bestiality article" aftertaste. I would've posted a Francione recipe but it's pretty demanding: everything has to be cooked all at once and if it isn't perfect you have to throw the whole thing out. And the ingredient list is actually just a description of how terrible the Singer recipe is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts