VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember the proper name for this recipe. I copied it from a magazine onto the back of a receipt while I was waiting for an oil change last week. But I just made it and it's delicious.

1 lb brown lentils
1-1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 tsp salt
1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1-1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 red peppers, seeds removed, chopped
1/2 c. chopped cilantro leaves (I didn't add this--didn't seem like a cilantro-type dish to me.)

Put 4 cups of water in large pan. Add lentils, potatoes, onions, salt, tomatoes, garam masala, cumin, and black pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook with lid on for 35-40 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally. Add red peppers, cook 5 more minutes. Add cilantro.

I tasted it when it was nearly done and didn't think it had enough spice, so I doubled the garam masala and cumin. I *still* think it could use more. Maybe I should have added the cilantro.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I like to add it just at the end anyway. It adds some nice citrus notes. I forgot that I like lime or lemon juice too, also added just at the end.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ahhh garam masala! One of my favorite things in the world! And being a cilantro FREAK I'd say that yes, you need to need add that cilantro in. I will try this this week, thanks! :)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made it again and yes, next time I will add cilantro. It's not spicy enough w/o it and I even doubled the other spices. My problem has been finding fresh cilantro. Can't figure out why, we are not THAT back woods.
One store has the pre-chopped stuff in a tube which tastes awesome in other recipes, but it is very expensive for no more than you get.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I made it again and yes, next time I will add cilantro. It's not spicy enough w/o it and I even doubled the other spices. My problem has been finding fresh cilantro. Can't figure out why, we are not THAT back woods.
One store has the pre-chopped stuff in a tube which tastes awesome in other recipes, but it is very expensive for no more than you get.
Yeah what's up with cilantro? I feel your pain. I go to three different food stores a week, yes I said three, lol. I'm just about to start growing my own fresh cilantro and parsley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts