> 3 cups water or vegetable stock<br><br>
> 1 cup lentils<br><br>
> 2 cups rolled oats<br><br>
> 1/4 cup oat bran<br><br>
> 1/4 cup oil<br><br>
> 1 beaten egg or a substitute<br><br>
> 1 clove garlic minced<br><br>
> 1/4 cup organic ketchup or tomato sauce<br><br><br><br>
Add lentils to boiling stock and simmer 20 minutes. Add oats and bran let soak for 10 minutes. mix in the rest of the ingredients and turn into oiled loaf pan. Top with ketchup or sauce and bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let sit in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out, slice when cooled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is exactly what I'd like to do, with some additional veggies, because I assume it would freeze ok. Have you tried it? If I only had an oven. Ah well, eventually.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Sounds yummy, but I'd leave out the garlic if you're sharing it with your pet.<br><br>
Garlic can cause anemia in some animals. A small amount is usually okay, but I'd leave it out of the recipe just to be safe. <a href="http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/garlic.php" target="_blank">http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/garlic.php</a>

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
savvyidler, I have only made one loaf at a time, my dogs usually gobble it up pretty quick. And yes, you can add all sorts of things to the recipe even dried fruits and nuts {ground up}. I see no reason why you could not freeze it either. kpickell, you can leave the garlic out if you are worried about it. I have been feeding my dogs lots of garlic for many years, without any problems. I have no experience with feeding garlic to cats though, so can not advise anyone else on the matter.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
kpickle, your link doesn't work.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Both tomatoes and garlic (onions too) are questionable for dogs. There are many people foods dogs shouldn't have, including avacado, chocolate, macadamia nuts, and mushrooms. You should also not let your dog smoke pot. Seriously.

·
Registered
80 Posts
<p>This look awesome! I already added this recipe today in my menu for next week. I will buy some lentils on sunday I will make sure that I will cook some like this! Thanks for sharing!</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts