VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone observe this and since I am still new to Veg world Sad to say still, I am taking this season to get back on track again, I am wanting to know what I should start off again while I attempt this year?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
You could eat lentils on Friday.
More seriously use it as a time of self denial and channel that self denial into removing the unhealthy aspects out of your diet.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Give up meat for lent.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Give up meat for lent.
This is what I was going to say
. It is traditional anyway, no? I mean, the whole fish on Friday thing is supposed to be denying yourself meat originally. So do it for lent.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
You could take something on. Last year, I posted 5 good things that happened to me daily on FB because Lent is in such a dismal time of the year (late Feb-early Mar, no holidays, no spring colours, rainy...)I wanted to cheer myself up.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

You're vegetarian now, right?
I think she is still transitioning to vegetarianism, according to hr prior posts, so this lent seems like a good time to go for it.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I gave up hope one Lent. Didn't work. I gave up sanity when I was *cough,cough* years old, and never took that back.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I think she is still transitioning to vegetarianism, according to hr prior posts, so this lent seems like a good time to go for it.
yep thats true that last few years I was learning, now I am getting serious and my husband is going to help me plan. In the summers I like mostly fresh stuff and fruits and salads ETC.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

grrrrrrrrr the man of the house put his foot down and said no to me observing lent in his house.
Why do you need his permission? My wife observes lent and I would never, never tell her not to, not that she'd listen anyway.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Why do you need his permission? My wife observes lent and I would never, never tell her not to, not that she'd listen anyway.
LOL well I could observe when he is not looking LOL

·
Registered
388 Posts
Um...what say does he have in what you choose to do, just because he's your husband? Your observing lent shouldn't affect him so why does it matter?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

grrrrrrrrr the man of the house put his foot down and said no to me observing lent in his house.
Does that mean he is making you eat meat and meat products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post

Um...what say does he have in what you choose to do, just because he's your husband? Your observing lent shouldn't affect him so why does it matter?
^This. You aren't his property and he shouldn't control you. You are allowed to do what you want even when he is looking.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm no longer a practicing Catholic so I don't observe the lenten rituals per se, but I still like to use the oportunity to fast and eat lean for my health.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I'm no longer a practicing Catholic so I don't observe the lenten rituals per se, but I still like to use the oportunity to fast and eat lean for my health.
I wanted to do this also and he is working with me finally we made an aggreement, he said just get the vegeterian stuff like a normal day and person does, so I'll be doing that very quickly perhaps tommrow, when he goes to bed tonight I'll make a list want we need.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

this is me.....I am no longer a practicing Catholic and I dont dont observe lent....but I am trying to eat heathier and stay away from the junk.

peace

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I think fasting or giving up something can be a good thing regardless of the season or reason. Abstaining from something that, in some way, has control over you (I love food!) builds character, IMO. I think people who have strong self-discipline tend to be more successful in general. Abstaining can be used for spiritual purposes or simply renewing ones sense of self.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts