VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was unsure of where to put this, so if it's in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it

anybody know what they're giving up for lent this year?

·
Registered
79 Posts
funny lent just snuck up on me this year didnt realize it was that close. last year i gave up meat.(that didnt stick afterwards) now i dont know what i should give up, since i'm a vegetarian

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I've only got beer and caffeine left to give up... not gonna happen. I suppose I could technically say I'm giving up on going to fish fries on Fridays this year.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it's not for another month, but I was just reminded of it this year by my mother in law, so... yeah.

I'm giving up honey (going vegan, it was the last thing to get rid of), and I'm giving up diet soda and sugary crap. no chocolate for me this Easter... but since I didn't have any for Valentine's Day either, I guess I can manage it

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

well it's not for another month, but I was just reminded of it this year by my mother in law, so... yeah.
Doesn't lent technically start tomorrow being Ash Wednesday and all?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I confused the start day and the end day. not surprised, I had two kids chattering away in my ear while I typed, I'm surprised that's the only mistake I made. thanks for the fix!

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalRock1990 View Post

funny lent just snuck up on me this year didnt realize it was that close. last year i gave up meat.(that didnt stick afterwards) now i dont know what i should give up, since i'm a vegetarian
Give up eggs and dairy, and become vegan.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am giving up some family they don't care for me unless they want something, I don't get visitors so I am giving up wanting visitors, I feel useless.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Doesn't lent technically start tomorrow being Ash Wednesday and all?
Yes.

Quote:
Ash Wednesday, in the calendar of Western Christianity, is the first day of Lent and occurs 46 days before Easter. It is a moveable fast, falling on a different date each year because it is dependent on the date of Easter. It can occur as early as February 4 or as late as March 10.
According to the canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, during which he endured temptation by Satan.[1][2] Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of this 40-day liturgical period of prayer and fasting.
Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. The ashes used are typically gathered after the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned.[3]
This practice is common in much of Christendom, being celebrated by Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and some Baptist denominations.[4][5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm not giving up anything. I'm lucky because being vegan has become second nature, and therefore easy for me, but in my mind it still gives me a lifetime lent pass.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I don't partake but find it odd that most people I know at least give something up for the 40 days then go right back to eating it. One time, my sister said she gave up chocolate for lent. We were at my aunt's house for a party and she had a white chocolate fountain and my sister had some. I told her it was chocolate (although technically white chocolate isn't chocolate), she freaked out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think if im going to go vegan i would take it slow, like eggs, kill my parents but they will deal with it.(and maybe next year dairy) we will see. thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

was unsure of where to put this, so if it's in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it

anybody know what they're giving up for lent this year?
Nothing. In fact, I intend to pig out that week.

Of course, I'm a heathen and nothing would make me happier than if the current pope choked on his own manifest bigotry.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Lent is 46 days(give or take)..not a week(unless you mean Holy Week I guess)
I dont do it as I dont feel religious. It bugs me when people do things like 'give up playing games' (for example things that do not hold the true spirit of what Lent is)
I feel it distracts from Christians who take Lent very seriously.
I mean no non-Muslims really observe the Muslim tradition of Ramadan do they?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm not religious at all, but I will use lent as a bonus motivational factor when trying to give up bad habits. This year: either coffee or added salt...aiming for both! But we'll see. And if I can quit those things for 40 days, I don't see why I'd pick it up again after. Hoping this will set me off on the right track!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I am giving up some family they don't care for me unless they want something, I don't get visitors so I am giving up wanting visitors, I feel useless.
Ill come visit you!! We can make falafel and drink red wine and giggle over funny YouTube videos! Where ya live?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Ill come visit you!! We can make falafel and drink red wine and giggle over funny YouTube videos! Where ya live?
I'd like to join in on this!

I'm sorry Peacefulveglady, I know how it feels to not have family come visit and contact you. I live 15 minutes from my dad and he completely ignored me over the holidays so I stopped calling him and then he called me about two weeks ago all upset because we hadn't spoken since November and he felt it was my fault. Family can be hard. *hugs*

I'm not giving up anything for lent.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

I mean no non-Muslims really observe the Muslim tradition of Ramadan do they?
I have done so in the past. There are many health benefits from it to be honest and studies have shown this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts