VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 4 months pregnant, and they advise that you start sleeping on your side at that time, to ensure optimal blood flow to the uterus (apparently, lying on the back can restrict flow). Well, I tried this and it is HORRIBLE! If I sleep on my left side, I wake up in the middle of the night with my left leg asleep! If I turn over to my right side, the same thing happens to that leg!!! I've tried putting a pillow between my legs, under my waist to support my belly, even going commando (to make sure it wasn't my undies too tight!! lol) but nothing is helping!! Can this lack of blood flow to my legs hurt my baby? I'm not overweight at all, I've gained about 6 lbs so far.... should I call my doctor??

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
if you are having trouble sleeping now at 4 months pregnant, i feel bad for you because it only gets worse!<br><br>
i used a body pillow to get a comfy position, and no you wont harm the baby by your legs falling asleep.<br><br>
the reason for not laying on your back, the uterus puts pressure on the vena cava cutting off blood flow, the inferior vena cava is the one that carries blood back from your legs, so if there is pressure on it your legs will fall asleep and you will wake up.<br><br>
try a pillow between your legs, or maybe at your lower back, sleep with your knees bent, that may help,<br><br>
good luck!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if the inferior vena cava is restricted it doesn't in any way reduce flow to the baby? I just want to be sure! :) Gotta protect my little bean!! :) THanks for the reply!! :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
whoops you may have misunderstood me, or i wasnt clear.....LOL<br><br>
yes the inferior vena cava will return blood from everywhere below the heart.......when it is compressed you will notice something like your legs getting numb, or you may get dizzy, or your BP would drop.........if it is compressed enough yes it will decrease blood flow back to your heart which in turn means less oxygentated blood out to your body, and the placenta and the baby.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
when i said your legs getting numb wont hurt the baby i meant because it prompts you to move positions therefore getting the pressure off..........if it was continuously compressed it could cause problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts