VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this could be a good topic. I did a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If this is in the wrong section, then mods feel free to move it.

I was thinking about ideas on how to turn leftover food into something really tasty. I remember when I was little my mother always made Chili con Carne out of leftover Bolognese sauce, just an example though. Right now I'm stuck with an indescript bean stew (not one of my finest moments in the kitchen). It's kind of mushy, beacause it cooked to long and I've eaten it twice now. So, this is starting to get kind of boring. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do with it, exept for freezing it and forgetting about it?
I don't want to throw it away, but I don't really want to eat it either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
how about making mashed potatoes and then baking as in a shepards pie? At least you could add some roasted garlic flavor to the potatoes, and have some thing else to eat with it....or how about adding more flavor with new or more herbs/spices?

If it's too runny, you could drain off some of the liquid, and make like empanadas, or stuffed dough, whatever you want to call them.

you mentioned non-descript....sound to me like you just need to add some flavor to it.....chili powders or real chili peppers, or go indian and add curry and coriander, and cayenne!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,664 Posts
Definitly shepards pie!
Add more veggies like peppers onions tomatoes and corn, top with thick mashed.

Or a cornbread pie. Put it in a cast iron pan, or a casserole. Spoon cornbread on top and bake - at cornbreads direction. Serve with salsa.

I also like mushy bean stew as taco salad with tortillas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'm going to make Shepard's Pie for dinner tonight. I have som ground soy chunks, so I'm going use that and mix in some bean stew. I think it's going to be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts
Here's my problem with leftovers. Say I buy a jar of roasted red peppers, for a recipe. I might use half and then the other half goes into the fridge where they often spoil, as I can't think of what to put them in. If I put them in the freezer, I often forget to thaw them out in time. i waste half jars of too many foods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Here's my problem with leftovers. Say I buy a jar of roasted red peppers, for a recipe. I might use half and then the other half goes into the fridge where they often spoil, as I can't think of what to put them in. If I put them in the freezer, I often forget to thaw them out in time. i waste half jars of too many foods.
I hate that, but I do it all the same. I try to use all the stuff (food in jars) I buy, but quite often I'm left with half jars too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle View Post

I hate that, but I do it all the same. I try to use all the stuff (food in jars) I buy, but quite often I'm left with half jars too.
Instead of doing this, I double the recipe and freeze the other half in containers. Same work and energy bill but double the amount of food.

I often use leftover beans for soup. Just make vegetable soup and whizz it up with leftover beans. Add a drizzle of evo before serving and a few chopped nuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle View Post

Right now I'm stuck with an indescript bean stew (not one of my finest moments in the kitchen). It's kind of mushy, beacause it cooked to long and I've eaten it twice now. So, this is starting to get kind of boring. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do with it, exept for freezing it and forgetting about it?
I don't want to throw it away, but I don't really want to eat it either.
I know the final decision was shepherd's pie, which is awesome.
I'd just like to add that with any bean stew, when I am completely rung out of ideas, I reduce the beans down to a thick stew, spread them over a tortilla, spread with rice, sauteed veggies and roll it up, smoother it in green chili and go to town on it. I never throw out beans. They're too damn delicious and important to my health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Here's my problem with leftovers. Say I buy a jar of roasted red peppers, for a recipe. I might use half and then the other half goes into the fridge where they often spoil, as I can't think of what to put them in. If I put them in the freezer, I often forget to thaw them out in time. i waste half jars of too many foods.
I like to think in terms of alchemy and cross-utilization. Every few days I devote an hour or so to pulling leftovers or food that needs to be used before the spoilage date and deciding what I can do with it. I have half a can of roasted red chilis, a few cloves of garlic, some walnuts, some corn, whatever. I could use to left over chilis in corn bread, polenta, chutney, soup, fried rice, muhammara. Doing this exercise also helps me when shopping because it helps me think ahead of how to cross-utilize left over product. If I'm buying chilis for chili, I'll also buy a small amount of walnuts so I can use the left overs for muhammara.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall View Post

I know the final decision was shepherd's pie, which is awesome.
I'd just like to add that with any bean stew, when I am completely rung out of ideas, I reduce the beans down to a thick stew, spread them over a tortilla, spread with rice, sauteed veggies and roll it up, smoother it in green chili and go to town on it. I never throw out beans. They're too damn delicious and important to my health.

I like to think in terms of alchemy and cross-utilization. Every few days I devote an hour or so to pulling leftovers or food that needs to be used before the spoilage date and deciding what I can do with it. I have half a can of roasted red chilis, a few cloves of garlic, some walnuts, some corn, whatever. I could use to left over chilis in corn bread, polenta, chutney, soup, fried rice, muhammara. Doing this exercise also helps me when shopping because it helps me think ahead of how to cross-utilize left over product. If I'm buying chilis for chili, I'll also buy a small amount of walnuts so I can use the left overs for muhammara.
I always add a chopped jalepeno chili to my corn bread. Delicious.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top