VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys became Veg*an did you toss out all of your existing leather items like shoes? I feel like a hypocrite walking around in my leather boots when I refuse to eat animal products.

The reasons I've decided to keep them so far are:

a) I can't afford to chuck out/give away all of my shoes just now.

b) They are all still in very good condition and it seems frivolous to just buy new ones - esp. when I could give the money to charity instead.

But then I keep thinking that:

a) I'm a hypocrite

b) I love my pink cowboy boots (don't ask
) - & I've never seen a pair like them anywhere else.

I guess I could do one pair at a time - buy 1 pair, give the other away.

Did anyone in here have a similar problem or am I just extremley shallow?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I wore my stuff out. In fact, 6 years later, I'm still wearing a pair of leather gloves. If it weren't so hard to find a good pair I would have replaced them by now. Usually nothing much is said but every so often I have to explain. I just say that I've had them since before I went veg and I'm going to keep them until they wear out.

And this may seem strange, but seeing the cow skin on my hands makes me feel more appreciative of animals. It serves as a reminder, makes me feel a little guilty about how I once lived, and really reinforces how I feel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I gave all my leather belts, purses, dress shoes, boots, suits (2 or them), jacket, hat, a set of gloves, and a briefcase to the Battered Women's and Childrens Center. A few items I really really liked (especially the suits) but I felt the same way as you wearing them. And I felt so good giving them to someone who needed them. Way better than the items themselves ever made me feel. I've replaced things here and there. Still haven't found a nice case though. In due time I suppose. Just slowly replace what you have and if it's not worn out donate it (don't though it away).

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have a couple pairs of leather shoes that I bought years ago and I will keep them until they wear out. They are still in good shape and I think it would be very wasteful to just toss them. Plus, I don't have lots of money to spend on shoes and it's very hard for me to find non-leather dress shoes for work that come narrow enough.

I haven't bought anything leather in the last couple of years, though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was just talking with my friends about this, yesterday!

I have a pair of doc martins from years ago that I found in the back of my closet. I wore them to school yesterday and felt extremely guilty and hypocritical the entire time that they were on my feet. My friends kept asking me about them.. I simply explained that I've had them for years, and because I already own them there's no reason for me to throw them out. If I wear them, at least I know the cow that died for them didn't die in vain.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I must be shallow too. Shoes were the hardest transition for me and I had so many cute pairs! Eventually it got to the point though, where I couldn't bear to wear them anymore. It just grossed me out and felt wrong. I donated them all to Salvation Army. I still see cute shoes sometimes and have a twinge because they are leather but I don't buy them. I've built up my collection of non-leather shoes slowly. They aren't as cute as some of my old ones but I feel better about it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i gave away most of my leather stuff, but i kept some shoes (which have worn out since then), and i still have a leather belt that i'll continue to use until it wears out too.

it's not hypocritical to continue to use your old leather goods instead of throwing them out/giving them away - it's practical. so don't worry, thefragile77, you're not shallow

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just recently made this decision as well. Basically, I decided to keep the clothing until it wore out, for the exception of one silk formal dress that I gave to a friend who needed a nice dress and couldn't afford one, and a wool peacoat that I mailed to a friend in Russia who I know doesn't have money for a coat which she needs, and I definatly don't during Texas summers.

I thought long and hard about it, and decided that I couldn't afford to replace all of my leather, silk and wool clothing. I have a very hard time finding dress shoes and boots in my size (my feet are actually a child's size, and it's hard to find shoes that don't look silly). So, right now I still have two pairs of heeled leather boots, two pairs of riding boots and a pair of gloves, a belt, a silk shirt and top, and several dresses with silk in them. I just thought about what was practical. Did I use the items regularly, was it easier to replace than to explain to people, and did someone else need them more. After all, my parents would flip out if I decided to give $2000 gowns to goodwill. Actually, it might be worth it to do just to see the faces.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm simply going to wear everything out. The poor cows died to give me this stuff. The most respectful thing I can do is use it until it becomes unusable.

When people ask me why I'm wearing leather, I tell them I bought it P.V. (pre-vegan).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I think I'll do the same and wear them out and replace them when I need to. Unless I can afford to replace them sooner in which case its off to the goodwill stores with them.

Its funny that some of you mentioned silk; my mum who is an intelligent woman (she's a teaching academic) and she could see the ethical problem with wearing silk but couldn't understand why I would want to buy vinyl as opposed to 'good' leather shoes - "but they're terrible for your feet!". I thought it was really weird at the time but I guess people fail to see the connection most of the time.

As for nice shoes I'm not sure about in the States or elsewhere but here in Aust. our K-mart stores (and Target etc) and Payless, sell vinyl and non-leather sueded copies of 'fashion' shoes/boots etc. that are actually really nice and extremely inexpensive ($45 for a pair of boots as opposed to $120+)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
thefragile, my nicest pair of shoes I bought from Hannahs (they sell leather too though) they are knee high boots and were only $80... they are gorgeous and vegan! I can't buy shoes from target or kmart, they never have 7 and a halfs...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

Thanks. I think I'll do the same and wear them out and replace them when I need to. Unless I can afford to replace them sooner in which case its off to the goodwill stores with them.

Its funny that some of you mentioned silk; my mum who is an intelligent woman (she's a teaching academic) and she could see the ethical problem with wearing silk but couldn't understand why I would want to buy vinyl as opposed to 'good' leather shoes - "but they're terrible for your feet!". I thought it was really weird at the time but I guess people fail to see the connection most of the time.

As for nice shoes I'm not sure about in the States or elsewhere but here in Aust. our K-mart stores (and Target etc) and Payless, sell vinyl and non-leather sueded copies of 'fashion' shoes/boots etc. that are actually really nice and extremely inexpensive ($45 for a pair of boots as opposed to $120+)
Someone in another thread somewhere mentioned sweatshop practices used in Payless shoes, which I guess explain the prices, but I've never seen evidence of this. My first pair of vegan shoes were purchased from Payless Shoe Source. I hope to get all my future shoes through the veganessentials website.

·
Registered
0 Posts
"Veg*an " doesnt that reefer to vegetarian ?

to my knowledge vegetarians {NOT ALL} dont care about leather.

I am Vegan and I will not throw out this belt that i have had for years and years. but once it breaks then i will buy a new hemp one {LONG LIVE HEMP !} i do not support buying animal products but i bought this before i was vegan. my shoes are synthetic and everything else about my atire is vegan.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
No Veg*n is vegan or vegetarian...

And I am a vegetarian that cares about leather. It's pretty hypocritical of me to say I gave up meat because of cruelty to animals but still wear leather. There are many variations of vegetarians out there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ok. i remember reading somewhere that someone asked what Veg*n meant and they were told that it was short for vegetarian becuase peple dont like typing in the extra six letters.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Someone in another thread somewhere mentioned sweatshop practices used in Payless shoes, which I guess explain the prices, but I've never seen evidence of this. My first pair of vegan shoes were purchased from Payless Shoe Source. I hope to get all my future shoes through the veganessentials website.
I wonder if its the same company in Australia as the states though? Hmm I'll have to investigate.

I do know for a fact though that K-Mart and Target Australia, as well as other major stores, have signed ethical practice agreements which supposedly means they will not buy stock from companies that use slave labour and sweatshops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.