VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEllo,

Do you guiys wear leather, wool, silk or other animal fleeces that you owned before you became vegan?

What about second hand wool that is from an op shop for example?

Just want to know your opinions.

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I still have my leather wallet from pre-vegan times. I also have a few pairs of shoes. I think throwing them away would not only be silly, but counterproductive as well.

I dont think I own any wool, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i agree - a bit of a waste

by the way Almodovars Volver - is such an incredible film and penelope Cruz is gorgeous - is that a picture fro volver or another film that they worked on together? cant really tell....

cheers

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i still have some leather stuff from my pre-veg days, as well.

i use some; i donated the rest.

i don't see anything wrong with reusing products (i.e. thrift shopping/garage sales, etc.) but i try to stay as cruelty-free as possible.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never liked leather to begin with, so I don't own any of that, but I do have a wool coat from pre-veg times. Let me just say that I am a very difficult person when it comes for coats. Veeeeeeery picky. It is a miracle that I found a coat that I like and that I will actually wear. (It is important to wear a coat in the freezing New England winters, I shall add.) I don't want this to go to waste, and I will wear it until it falls apart, and then go out and spend several months looking for a nice, cruelty-free coat. ^.^

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would suggest you purchase the fabric you want and go to a seamstress or tailor to have a coat made for you when that moment comes.

That's what I plan on doing. I think that will be the easiest way to ensure I get as close to what I want with as little hassle as possible.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I still wear leather shoes I had before becoming vegan. Don't have any wool things--itchy!!--or other animal fleece clothes or silk things. I don't buy any of these items anymore, new or used isn't a factor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliya View Post

yeah i agree - a bit of a waste

by the way Almodovars Volver - is such an incredible film and penelope Cruz is gorgeous - is that a picture fro volver or another film that they worked on together? cant really tell....

cheers
It is indeed from Volver.

Have you seen Almodovar's other work?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot View Post

It is indeed from Volver.

Have you seen Almodovar's other work?
Yes i have - Bad Education (i love Gael Garcia Bernal!!!)

and All about my mother - maybe a few others that i watched at school (i did world cinema and we studied him for a while)

amazing

·
Registered
684 Posts
I still wear a pair of suede shoes from my pre-vegan days... Only on really cold days, because they're the warmest shoes I own (they should be, though, they're skin).

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I still have a pair of leather shoes that I never wear (they were my school shoes aged 13 I think - it's sad to know I haven't grown
) and will probably donate. But right now they are my only pair of black shoes that I can walk properly in, so they stay in the back of my cupboard in case I need funeral shoes or something on short notice.

I always hated the idea of silk when I was very small and my grandma told me that the worms were boiled alive, so I've never owned any. Wool - I don't think I have any of that either.

I might think about buying wool from a thrift shop, but not leather, because I would feel uncomfortable in it. I guess I have a double standard re: wool in that even though I know the industry is cruel, it doesn't seem as icky as wearing skin.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what about for example an old vintage leather bag or wallet that you buy from a charity thrift store (trying to use the USA words as we call it an op shop in Aus)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliya View Post

what about for example an old vintage leather bag or wallet that you buy from a charity thrift store (trying to use the USA words as we call it an op shop in Aus)
I wouldn't buy it because I would consider it pretty gross. But I don't think it is unethical, and I don't think it makes someone not vegan any more, if they buy second-hand leather.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Oh, I was going to ask what an Op Shop is! That's great, I think I'm going to start using that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Oh, I was going to ask what an Op Shop is! That's great, I think I'm going to start using that.
yeah it stands for opurtunity shop

and the money is for charity

haha sweet

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Although wearing old leather does not contribute to the leather industry, I do not wear animal product-clothing from my pre-vegan days because the idea of wearing the skin disgusts me, and people would call me a hypocrite. I think the best thing to do would be to give it to a thrift shop/friend, as this actually lowers demand for leather because it will prevent the person you are giving it to from buying another pair.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i have some old shoes that have some leather parts in them that i got before going vegan, and i am wearing them out, mostly out of respect to the animal so they did not die in vain. however, you cant tell they are leather. i have a wool coat that i love that i havent worn since because i dont want to give the impression that it is ok to wear animals on my back. I think i may donate it or something... I saw a beautiful fake suede *sp?* jacket once... i didnt wind up buying it, but i would only be ok with wearing something like that if i had those pins that peta sells that say "fake not real"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still wear leather shoes.

I've tried nonleather shoes and found them cheap and of poor quality, almost irregardless of the price range.

I'm not fully resolved on the issue, but at this point my position is that I prefer to own and use a few pairs of leather shoes that will last for many, many years to come than to keep up a steady flow of poor quality pleather that will fall apart and end up in a landfill before next summer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.