VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to know what others do when you don't have time to cook, not just for a single day, but for a period of time. I'm looking for more ideas for simple, delicious, somewhat healthy meals.

I've got one. I made a big container of this with some changes.

• I didn't have enough vegetable oil, so I substituted part of it for sesame oil. Glad I did--it really made a big difference. Might have been bland otherwise.
  • Added a touch of sriracha, just because.
  • I used leftover shredded cabbage/brussels sprouts mix for the cole slaw mix.
  • I added leftover edamame.
  • I wish I cooked the noodles because, despite the fact they are already baked, I just don't like them that way. After sitting in the fridge overnight, they are soft and pleasing, but they hogged all the dressing.
  • I have no sugar, so I used the appropriate amount of Truvia, and it was just fine.
This seriously took me 5 minutes to make, 1 bowl, and I've been eating it all week.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I always keep red lentils, tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, and whole wheat spaghetti around as a "backup" when I don't have time to cook something more time consuming.

I also spread tomato paste on toasts and sprinkle on canned black olives, chopped onion and pepper for a quick meal. I usually have a good bit of produce on hand and can have a simple salad and throw in some canned beans and dressing. I have cornflour and a simple tortilla press and can mix cornflour and water to make a dough, then roll it in a ball and press in my tortilla press, then I heat it in a dry skillet for thirty seconds for cornflour tortillas. I can add anything from peanut butter to pinto beans and salsa to refried pinto beans to it for a meal with my salad.

I always have oats on hand and literally just throw in some berries or raisins and almond milk and cinnamon for cereal for breakfast. I either eat it cold with the almond milk, or heat it in the microwave with added water and frozen berries. no sugar needed when I add raisins or berries. Very quick breakfast that is my go to when I don't feel imaginative or want to eat what I planned.

I have quick grains like couscous and polenta I keep on hand also. I will throw in green beans and lentils or sunflower seeds, orange slices, and peas or something with it for a quick meal.

I always prepare lunches ahead, but if something goes bad or plans change, I always have a loaf of bread handy and I can make a sandwich with tomato paste, leafy greens, olives, black beans or something similar, or if I have vegan mayo on hand I can throw together a chickpea salad sandwich, or tofu salad sandwich, or even just sliced tomato, lettuce, and vegan mayo with black pepper for a sandwich. I keep a basket of fruit and will bring some fruit with my sandwich to work. I've also brought oats in a baggy with raisins, spices, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds and a bowl and spoon. At work I get some hot water from the coffee pot and pour it over my oats in my bowl for a quicky meal. I keep larabars, extra oats, single packets of raisins, vegan premade soup mixes and so on at work in my desk for emergencies.

I also use techniques that shave off time with cooking. I have a steamer pan/basket I use a LOT to steam potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes, carrots and so on instead of baking these things. I can have a cooked sweet potato or butternut squash in ten minutes with steaming compared to an hour with baking. Proper chopping and peeling techniques for stuff like squash and potatoes shaves off time also.

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
I usually keep stuff prepped to quickly assemble vegan crunch wraps, because they're a household favorite. Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, oregano, basil, garlic, and marjoram come together to make an easy marinara when I don't feel like cooking more substantial things. I also have a homemade vegan bisquick type of mix that I keep around the house for breakfasts. 1 cup nondairy milk, 1 cup mix, preheat the waffle maker, and I have a waffle for me and one of the guys if they want one. The one I make now isn't spelt because I'm gluten free, it's buckwheat and oat flour, but if you're not gluten free the recipe I linked works really well.

I also like making big batches of granola for breakfasts, and often bake several loaves of bread at a time and freeze the slices for easy sandwiches. Being gluten free, I can't just leave them around the kitchen like I used to with the wheat bread...sigh...

Sometimes I make massive batches of chili mac to reheat for lunches as well. Baking some marinated tofu with vegenaise and shredded cabbage makes a really nice sandwich.

I guess I have quite a few "lazy foods."

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I'm stuck, dry green (eston) lentils cook up really quickly (about 25 minutes, covered, after bringing them to a boil -- 3 cups of water, 1 cup of lentils, no salt -- drain and serve). They've got lots of protein and they're easy to keep around. I usually make jasmine rice at the same time and mix it all up with some vegan margarine, nutritional yeast and sriracha. Very satisfying and easy to make. Not health food, but you can do a lot worse :).

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
There sure is a wide range of what people consider lazy and healthy!

I usually have a bag of tortilla chips and hummus or canned beans.
Maybe throw on some chopped veggies for a wrap

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Frozen veggie mixes, canned or leftover beans, jarred sauce of some kind, over previously cooked and frozen brown or jasmine rice.

Baked potato in microwave, canned refried beans, salsa or leftover veggies, salad of prewashed baby spinach and orange sections with jarred dressing.

Peanut butter and anything (banana most often) on ww pita or toast. Fruit.

Baked beans on toast, leftover veggies or some fruit.

Muesli (I make it and always have some) with cashew milk or coconut yogurt.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I always keep red lentils, tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, and whole wheat spaghetti around as a "backup" when I don't have time to cook something more time consuming.

I also spread tomato paste on toasts and sprinkle on canned black olives, chopped onion and pepper for a quick meal. I usually have a good bit of produce on hand and can have a simple salad and throw in some canned beans and dressing. I have cornflour and a simple tortilla press and can mix cornflour and water to make a dough, then roll it in a ball and press in my tortilla press, then I heat it in a dry skillet for thirty seconds for cornflour tortillas. I can add anything from peanut butter to pinto beans and salsa to refried pinto beans to it for a meal with my salad.

I always have oats on hand and literally just throw in some berries or raisins and almond milk and cinnamon for cereal for breakfast. I either eat it cold with the almond milk, or heat it in the microwave with added water and frozen berries. no sugar needed when I add raisins or berries. Very quick breakfast that is my go to when I don't feel imaginative or want to eat what I planned.

I have quick grains like couscous and polenta I keep on hand also. I will throw in green beans and lentils or sunflower seeds, orange slices, and peas or something with it for a quick meal.

I always prepare lunches ahead, but if something goes bad or plans change, I always have a loaf of bread handy and I can make a sandwich with tomato paste, leafy greens, olives, black beans or something similar, or if I have vegan mayo on hand I can throw together a chickpea salad sandwich, or tofu salad sandwich, or even just sliced tomato, lettuce, and vegan mayo with black pepper for a sandwich. I keep a basket of fruit and will bring some fruit with my sandwich to work. I've also brought oats in a baggy with raisins, spices, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds and a bowl and spoon. At work I get some hot water from the coffee pot and pour it over my oats in my bowl for a quicky meal. I keep larabars, extra oats, single packets of raisins, vegan premade soup mixes and so on at work in my desk for emergencies.

I also use techniques that shave off time with cooking. I have a steamer pan/basket I use a LOT to steam potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes, carrots and so on instead of baking these things. I can have a cooked sweet potato or butternut squash in ten minutes with steaming compared to an hour with baking. Proper chopping and peeling techniques for stuff like squash and potatoes shaves off time also.
NB, I am interested in your steamer. Is it the electric kind, or stove top? I want sweet potatoes in 15 minutes!

·
Bean Queen
103 Posts
For me it's almost always curry. I buy the vegan ones from various brands like Kitchens of India, Passage in India, Asian Home Gourmet, ect. Steam the rice and pour over the packet. Don't even need to cook it because the rice warms the sauce for me. Not the healthiest thing but some of them are low in fat and the ingredient list don't contain any odd ingredients. 20 minutes or so

Baked falafels. Super quick to make if you have a food processor (just dump the ingredients in and blitz) and it only takes a few minutes in the oven. I usually have it on salad greens with some tabbouleh and sesame dressing. Total cook time is also 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bamboo steamers are nice too, and they're stackable.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
It's just a simple stovetop steamer basket that fits in a pan, with a lid that fits over the whole thing. it's a slightly higher end one, not those fold out kind. It looks sort of but not quite like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...80-f769-52d0-bd39-6812657bfa20&pf_rd_i=289831
I just passed on a good one at a Goodwill store for like $6 :(
Wasn't sure it would fit my pot
Bamboo steamers are nice too, and they're stackable.
I always think those would mildew.
How do you clean? Just soapy water and air dry?

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't use soap, just hot water. I just scrub them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts