VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did anyone else see this?

the four main characters went to a raw foods restaurant in nyc, and the writers took that opportunity to make fun of raw foodism/veganism. it made for a cheap joke. two of the characters followed their unsatisfying meal with slices of cheese pizza. the whole thing was pretty dumb and not helpful to the raw vegan community.

i know it's just a show but it annoyed me because so many people watch it, and emulate the characters, and will use what they saw last night to further justify their omni habits and close their minds to other possible lifestyles.

i hear enough anti-vegan/ anti-raw stuff in my real life, i don't need it when i'm watching mindless televised entertainment.

btw i used to like this show but recently it's been annoying me, even before the raw food thing. last night's episode was dumb even without the restaurant episode.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
It's a play on the fact that the raw food thing, and vegan thing, is a popular trend. I'd be more than happy to see people get away from the trend, so that more people switch for the right reasons, instead of trying to be hip.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Katieq

[Bthe whole thing was pretty dumb and not helpful to the raw vegan community.

[/B]
And the writers of the show owe something to the raw vegan community because...?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think that they are doing more jokes about this stuff on tv is a good sign. It means it is more a part of the culture. Nobody kicks a dead horse.

(edited to add, pardon my expression, but it works)

·
Registered
0 Posts
what is wrong with becoming vegetarian or vegan because it is hip? Is there any WRONG reason to be vegetarian. Even the person is only vegetarian for a few weeks or a month, that is still a lot less animals that they have been responsible for. And people might start vegetarian to be 'hip' and then continue because they feel better. They may start actually becomming interested in the lifestyle and culture. I just think it is sort of elitist to say there are wrong reasons to become a vegetarian.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I liked the show! 'Course I always do!
(sort of obsessed, have all of the first 4 seasons on dvd and will get the last 2 when they go to dvd finally) I'm so sad this is the last season!

About the Raw thing- I wasn't thrilled that they were anti- raw/vegan/non-dairy, but at least they were mentioning it. Raw foodism much be gaining popularity for a show like this to say so much about it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Reminds me of when Samantha got her man to drink the wheatgrass for unmentionable reasons.

I am obsessed with the show, too.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I made a point of watching it tonight to see the episode. It didn't bother me at all. I think it is great that they even said vegan. It will just get people curious. Besides, there are lots of shows where people will go to an omni restaurant and not like the food.

When Samantha (Samantha is the one played by Kim Catrall, right?) and that yummy waiter were getting it on and she was making her happy sounds, my dog, Dixie jumped up from where she was laying, perked her ears, looked at the tv and tilted her head from side to side everytime Samantha sounded. It was very adorable.

·
Registered
312 Posts
which restaurant did they go to? ...just out of curiosity. (i've been to two raw restaurants in nyc... and they're both pretty good
)

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I'd like to see that show sometime.. I was chatting with someone the other day about things that are going on in my life and he said "This is so Sex and the City" .. so now I want to know what that show is like.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marie

I'd like to see that show sometime.. I was chatting with someone the other day about things that are going on in my life and he said "This is so Sex and the City" .. so now I want to know what that show is like.
Marie, the series is on HBO, but the past seasons are on videotape and DVD and available at your local video rental stores, like BlockBuster. I just rented part of the 4th Season.

I am not sure which season is actually airing, maybe the 6th or 7th.

I think the series is quite funny and well done. But I also think it presents a very cynical view of relations between the sexes. Of course, maybe that is what it is like in NYC among the upper-classes. Lots of sex and consumerism, but very little love.

The more I watch it, though, the more respect I have for Sarah Jessica Parker as a comedic actress/actor. She is brilliant.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
My life isn't like that... I'm just middle class and I don't get enough sex. Maybe it's because I date upper class, married guys from other countries... just kidding.

I think I'll stick to the Sopranos.. that's good show.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts