VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family (2 dogs/6 cats) and my sister's (3 dogs/7 cats) are now residing with ME. My sister is away for 18 months, 12 months to go. I NEED A VACATION. 18 animals is too much for the city space (2 bedroom appt in my 2 family house) but the use of a fenced back yard helps. I think I can hold out financially and continue the more than 3 hours of additional work per day (I am building a massage therapy practice at the same time) but I NEED A VACATION.

I need 12 days in August, away. I Need Ideas: 2 different pet sitteres have refused me, dogs uncooperative, none of my friends want any part of this, (haven't had a visitor in the house for the 6 months I have had this large family). I was thinking maybe farming some out, to temporary foster homes for the 2 weeks, maybe holistic kennels. 2 of the dogs are afraid of strangers, 1 dogs is too friendly with the cats and the cats get hurt, 1 cat has cerebral hypoplasia and can't walk, 1 cat is on meds for asthma and hyper thyroid. I am in Jersey City NJ. I can aford to pay some thing but not a hole lot. I can swap pet care, pet massage or people massage therapy with another. Any ideas!! Please, help with even a few may make it possible for the pet sitters to come. Thanks so very much, we all appreicate any ideas or help you have. Carol

·
Registered
878 Posts
wow thats really tough !!

k id say put as many dogs that that wud be good in a nice kennell that hopefully isnt really expensive

keep the dogs that are afriad of strangers but put the dog that is too friendly wit the cats and as many others

maybe try to find a pet sitter that brings the animals to thier house for some of the cats

but i live in bc, canada so i cant really help you personally !

i hope you find sumthin !

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Good luck.

I have 4 dogs & 9 cats. I haven't been able to go away for more than a day in years. I rarely have people over because so many people have allergies or get crappy about pet hair or actually expect me to lock the dogs out while they visit. There aren't any pet sitters in the area. It's too expensive to send them to a kennel and a lot of people are afraid of Gavin just because he's a wolf. I love them all very much, but I could really use a vacation too. Granted, I'd worry about them the whole time, but I think it would be so nice. No dogs on the bed, no hair on my clothes, no scratching at the door, no tripping over cats. Just two nights away. *sigh* Now you have me dreaming.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I would think you could leave most of your cats at home for the 2 weeks and simply ask (pay?) a neighbor or friend to come in every 3 days or so to change the water, clean the litter boxes and add fresh food. The ones who need meds and/or assistance probably need to stay with someone.

The dogs who are afraid of strangers may need to be kept in a kennel. The other three you could probably find temporary foster homes to keep them. Every state has an animal rescue email group where you might be able to find people willing to foster your pets while you're on vacation. One such group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newjerseyanimalrescue/

I'm hoping to go camping this weekend for 4 days or so, but I'll take my three dogs with me and just leave my cat at home with extra food and water.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an amazing friend who LOVES animals and she watched the "herd" while we went away for a few days up north to our cottage. I cried when we were leaving because I already missed them so much and I cried when we left to come back because I didn't want to leave the chipmunks behind. I'm such dope.

Contacting a rescue group is great advice. I would also pettition the neighbourhood kids. They work cheap. Get (written) assurance that the parents would be supervising. It would be great experience for the child(ren) before getting a companion of their own - or one of yours

good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the ideas and encouragment. Erin you made me laugh about the hair & alergies & complaints. I put my work clothes on seconds before leaving out the door and I am still a walking hair ball. But I do love these guys. I'm leaning toward the split them up aproach as many have suggested. The difficult temperments and those for meds out. And then probably a pet sitter in. Don't know that I have much in the way of resources regarding younger people here. But we do have several rescue groups. I 'll give that a try. Your words have given me some hope. Nice to converse with others who love animals as I do. Don't come across that too often here. Be Well All.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CeeCrystal

Erin you made me laugh about the hair & alergies & complaints. I put my work clothes on seconds before leaving out the door and I am still a walking hair ball. But I do love these guys.
I do the same thing!If I'm wearing black, I even put a towel down to sit on. Of course, as soon as I let my guard down, a cat jumps on me!

Ebay has good deals on slipcovers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wow, I totally understand this problem. I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 guinea pigs, 1 snake, 1 frog, & 2 lizards. A friend of ours asked if we could keep her cat and 3 kittens in our garage until she found a new place to live...well, she dropped them off about 3 wks ago and I haven't seen or heard from her since. Then, I just discovered yesterday that one of my guinea pigs isn't a girl...so, now we have some babies on the way and due VERY soon. I don't think I have had a vacation in years. Last year I was able to go away with my daughter to a Bible convention, but the hubby had to stay home to watch the pets. The the time away was not technically a vacation, it was nice to not have to worry about feeding a zillion mouths, or wake up in the middle of the night to let some one out side to potty. I agree with Erin - the hair balls are a pain. I can sweep the house and still have hair balls forming before the hour is up. I don't have visitors, either. Everyone is afraid of the pets, especially the snake.

Anyway...the few (very few) times we have had to go out of town to visit relatives, I have had a friend house sit. She basically stayed in my home and watched the pets. I had my nephew do it once, too. When he came, I had a diabetic cat and my nephew was freaked out about giving the kitty his meds. It was a nightmare. My friend has since moved out of state, so I am like you...no one to watch the pets. I would suggest checking with college students (responsible ones) to see if you could find someone who is old enough to stay in your home, yet young enough to still think hanging out in someone else's house is cool. I wish you the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts